Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 06:44 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mystery roller

I recently found a well oiled roller in the step well of my 2014 Fleetwood Storm and I have no idea where it came from. it is about 1" O.D., 3/4" wide with a threaded spindle that is 5/16 or 3/8 ' Dia. and 1/2- 5/8" long. I think it is too small to be associated with the driver's side slideout. Could it be part of the flexsteel seats? I will try to post a picture of the roller. Thanks in advance.
Frankg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
Do you have a step cover. Sounds like one It rolls on
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestion but I do not have a step cover.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:46 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mystery roller

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180924_080557.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	221039

Name:	20180924_080627.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	221040
Old 10-02-2018, 06:33 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was quite sure the roller came from the slide rail after talking with Fleetwood.
The attached photos show where the roller belongs. Now the question is how to get access to re-install it. Any suggestions? I sent photos and request to Fleetwood and am waiting for reply.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA019798.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	221163   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA019799.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	221164  

Old 10-03-2018, 03:42 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Does anyone know if I will damage the slide (without this roller in place) if I extend it 6" or so to look for external access for re-installing the slide? Also, will I gain better access? It is very difficult to do with slide in. Thanks in advance.
Frank
Old 10-04-2018, 08:25 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting. That appears to be the exact same roller bearing we found on the floor midway back in our coach. We were having slide problems at the time when two of the rubber rollers beneath our ds slide disintegrated (I replaced them outside, lifting that end of the slide with a hydraulic jack).

I presumed this bearing was part of the issue, although I couldn't find anyplace for it. In August I visited the factory service shop in Decatur and showed it to the techs. After a lot of discussion with a number of them in the service bay, everyone decided it came from elsewhere, not the rig, possibly from somebody's bed. It looks just like the roller bearings on beds, in the newer coaches that have beds that bend up for travel. Do you have such a bed?

You showed pics of where you think it came from, but I don't recognize that area. I presume it is beneath the slide? How did you take the pic if it is inaccessible?

Here are a couple pics of the one we found. Your comments make me wonder if there is any such roller at the top of the slide?

Name:	05c driver slide loose bearing-roller.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	221414

Name:	05d driver slide loose bearing-roller.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	221415
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
That roller looks identical to the one I found. I took the photo using a compact digital camera ( Olympus TG2) mounted on a monopod. A cell phone on a selfie stick would work as well. I used the self timer set at 12 seconds which allowed time to position the camera. The attached photo shows the opening in the slide wall at floor level behind the driver's seat. In the photos that I posted previously, the pictures were rotated 180 degrees when uploaded for some reason. The roller belongs in the hole that is shown in the lower left corner of the bracket which is actually at the top right corner. I believe that there should be 2 rollers attached to the bracket in a symmetric pattern. The bracket is bolted to the floor if that helps orient things. After finding the roller in the step well, I found the nut under the settee in the general area of the slide. It is a 3/8" fine thread,the same as the roller. I will post the photos in a separate posting since they are not uploaded to laptop at the moment.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I hope these help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181005_090031.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	221522   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181005_090121.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	221523  

Name:	20181005_090020.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	221524  
Old 10-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
mystery roller

The middle photo in my last post is rotated 180 for some reason.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That does look like a near impossible place to access (BTW, good trick with the camera to get the pics!).

You were waiting for Fleetwood to get back to you. Have you heard anything?

Regarding possible damage if you extend the slide a bit: while I have no idea about that, I don't see how you can put the roller back in without extending it.

I'm a bit familiar with slides and rollers on our '08 Class A but, from the looks of it, the '14 Storm slides mechanism appear to be different. Wish I could help. Look forward to hearing how you resolve the matter!
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:21 PM   #12

Mystery roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al n Cindy View Post
That does look like a near impossible place to access (BTW, good trick with the camera to get the pics!).

You were waiting for Fleetwood to get back to you. Have you heard anything?

Regarding possible damage if you extend the slide a bit: while I have no idea about that, I don't see how you can put the roller back in without extending it.

I'm a bit familiar with slides and rollers on our '08 Class A but, from the looks of it, the '14 Storm slides mechanism appear to be different. Wish I could help. Look forward to hearing how you resolve the matter!
I found the same exact roller on my 2016 Discovery 37R on my bedroom floor. It is referred to by Lippert as a 0.88 cam follower. TThe Lippert part number is 368304. TThey are ~$15.00 each. I need to access my passenger side rear slide rails to try and reinstall mine, but have no idea on how to access the slide rail. Stuck!
204007458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood offered no specific information on how to re-install the roller, other than to say he saw no way to install it without extended the slide. I have only exchanged E-mails and I hope to talk with someone soon. I can reach the slide but cannot position the roller correctly to insert the shaft in the bracket. I might try cutting a half round into the end of a small piece of strapping and holding the roller with an elastic. The problem is I don't think there is enough space at the end of the slide channel where the roller needs to be go in.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:03 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Updated photos

For some reason,the photos are sometimes rotated 180.

The roller is at the outboard end of the slide and is at the top of the bracket. The roller is shown ready to slide in behind the bracket so the roller shaft protrudes through the hole ready to put on the nut. Are the 6 bolts ( 3 at each end of the bracket ) threaded into tapped holes or a weld nut so they can be backed out a small amount and then re-tightened? There is no way for me to get on the back side of those bolts. If I loosen the bolts,will the plate move enough to slip the roller into place? Also, how do you suggest I hold the roller shaft to tighten the nut? I am thinking of drilling and tapping the end of the shaft to accept a #6 screw or using super glue to temporarily attach a 1/4 " rod. Another thought is to grind a 1/16" off the end of the shaft to slip it behind the mounting plate.
Any suggestions / recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Frank
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181030_153248.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	224435   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181030_153213.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	224436