Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #1

Need help diagnosing power step malfunction

When my power step extends or retracts the motor continues to run.

This is intermittent and, so far, I can get it to stop by causing it to partially extend and retract a couple of times. Is there a sensor that needs replacing, perhaps a connection that needs cleaning, or do I need to replace the motor?
rguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #2

If your steps are ; Kwikee ; brand, the end of cycle is a function of the control module . The module monitors the amp draw of the motor and when the mechanism gets to the end of travel the amps spike and the module cuts power .
However if there is any grinding when the steps come to the end of travel , then you probably have a broken tooth somewhere in the gear reduction mechanism that will require removal and dis-assembly to locate the broken part.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee troubleshooting.pdf (392.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 05-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #3

I had a similar issue with my steps. In my case the gear mechanism was loose at the motor so the steps never got pushed out far enough to hit the limit switch. Bolting it all back together fixed the issue.

One thing I've learned about my older coach (98'). When something stops working, take a breath, step back and look at the issue. I've been able to fix every single issue myself. Good luck with your issue.
bwilless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:51 AM   #4
CLR

Replace the motor assembly

We just had the same issue. Ended up replacing the whole motor assembly. Bought the replacement on Amazon for $70.00. three bolts and a pain of a wiring connection to get off and it is fixed.
Here's the link for Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Kwikee 379147 Motor Replacement Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguild View Post
When my power step extends or retracts the motor continues to run.

This is intermittent and, so far, I can get it to stop by causing it to partially extend and retract a couple of times. Is there a sensor that needs replacing, perhaps a connection that needs cleaning, or do I need to replace the motor?
Old 05-18-2018, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR View Post
We just had the same issue. Ended up replacing the whole motor assembly. Bought the replacement on Amazon for $70.00. three bolts and a pain of a wiring connection to get off and it is fixed.
Here's the link for Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Kwikee 379147 Motor Replacement Kit
Well, our Kwikee steps just started doing the same thing today.
I placed an order with Amazon for the motor assembly and it should arrive in a couple of days, but what about the Gear Linkage assembly from Amazon. Do I need it too?

David
Old 05-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #6

There is plastic worm drive between the motor and gear set that can strip. There are also metal gears inside the gear case that can lose a tooth.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phochief View Post
I placed an order with Amazon for the motor assembly and it should arrive in a couple of days, but what about the Gear Linkage assembly from Amazon. Do I need it too?

David
You'll need to open the gearboxes up to determine which is the problem. Most of the time if the steps are having problems at the end of the travel the final drive has damaged teeth. If the problem is between the two end points the motor drive is the most likely suspect.

Just had to replace the motor drive on my steps and here is what the damaged drive gear looked like -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_200546.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	203293   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_200516.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	579.7 KB
ID:	203294  

Old 05-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #8
CLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phochief View Post

David
David
My linkage seemed to be fine, just the Motor assembly was all that I needed. There is one plastic gear in that assembly that strips all the time apparently.
When you lower the Motor assembly you will find two washers, a metal gear and a short metal shaft. Those few items may stick up inside do to grease, so watch for them.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #9

Thanks for everyone's advice. I verified my problem and replaced my motor with the step by step You-Tube video

rguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #10

Maybe the plastic gear can be purchased...or a 3 D printer?? Good Luck and thanks for the info will come in handy in the future!
Old 05-25-2019, 08:19 AM   #11

Just a note: important to NOT stand on steps until they are fully extended, this can harm the plastic gear.
Bigfoot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:02 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I change the motor assembly on our stairs like I change the oil. I'm up to 5 replacements so far.

At least twice a year, we travel with friends/family and someone steps on the stairs while they are moving...the gear is gone in a nano-second.

Getting really good at swapping the motors...and I always have a spare with me.

Did anyone ever find a source for the gear alone, it would easy enough to replace if I could find it.

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I called the motor manufacturer the last time the steps went out. They do not sell parts individually, and the gear is not available anywhere (made in China). Unfortunately you have to buy the entire motor assembly.
Blandry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:58 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Kwikee customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandry29 View Post
I called the motor manufacturer the last time the steps went out. They do not sell parts individually, and the gear is not available anywhere (made in China). Unfortunately you have to buy the entire motor assembly.
There is no "customer service" at Kwikee. My steps on a 2016 Bounder failed with 15,000 miles on the rig. E-mailed Kwikee asking why so soon...they never replied.
I don't deal with companies that treat customers like that...
wayno347 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, power