Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2017, 10:41 PM   #1

Needing some education

not new to campers and rv's but this is my first MH.

2001 Fleetwood Discovery, Smokin Deal, Sold my 31ft Fifthwheel and bought the Discovery. Wifey calls it "Upgrade". Mechanically shes Sound, only needs normal servicing things. Engine, tranny, and some cleaning TLC nothing big.

I'm a happy Camper for the most part. Not quite sure about this inverter setup. Whats the sense of the inverter if you have on board generator? I see the house batteries, and engine Batteries and the inverter switch in the control panel. How are the House batteries charged, what does the inverter run, what are the do's and dont's concerning the inverter? are there any 101 threads on inverters? thanks

Also has anybody set up a spreadsheet of applicable filter numbers and normal maintenance items.

Sorry for so many questions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome!
You need an inverter so you don't have to be on shore power or run the generator to watch TV and any other 120 volt appliance.
Batteries are charged by a charger or a built in one in the inverter.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #3

The batteries will be charged one of three ways.
1) when the engine is running
2) when you are plugged into shore power
3) when the generator is running. If you have an automatic transfer switch you have nothing to do. Otherwise the shore power plug must be plugged into an outlet coming from the generator which is probably located in the bay where the power cord is stored.

Some units have Converters. These simply convert 110 V. power from shore power or the generator to 12 V. to power 12 V. equipment. Lights, electronic ignition on furnaces, water heaters, and the refrigerator along with but not limited to the level sensors, control panels and water pump.
Inverters do the opposite. They convert 12 V. to 110 V. be aware there is a output limit for inverters. Find out what it is and don't exceed it. You need to know the amperage draw of all 110 V. appliances or accessories and multiply this number times 110 to get the watts. This includes AC units also which may exceed the limit alone.
Lynn
Old 06-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #4

I have a 2000 Discovery 27G and have done all maintenance so far myself. I believe the 2001 is the same. Mine has the Cummins 300 hp ISB engine. If so, here are the WIX filters I've used:

Oil Filter: WIX 57182
Fuel/Water separator: WIX 33242 The bowl may be different. Check the brand of filter that's on yours and buy the same one if possible, e.g. wix/fleetguard/etc.
Fuel Filter on Engine: WIX 33585XE
Air Filter - I replaced it but can't find the number.

Generator (if Diesel Onan)
Oil Filter: WIX 51064
Also has an air filter and a fuel filter that are easily found, but I don't have the numbers handy. They are listed on lots of posts.

Good luck with your purchase. I've enjoyed mine, but there are a lot of systems on these things and always something to "tinker" with
Old 06-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgendr View Post
not new to campers and rv's but this is my first MH.

2001 Fleetwood Discovery, Smokin Deal, Sold my 31ft Fifthwheel and bought the Discovery. Wifey calls it "Upgrade". Mechanically shes Sound, only needs normal servicing things. Engine, tranny, and some cleaning TLC nothing big.

I'm a happy Camper for the most part. Not quite sure about this inverter setup. Whats the sense of the inverter if you have on board generator? I see the house batteries, and engine Batteries and the inverter switch in the control panel. How are the House batteries charged, what does the inverter run, what are the do's and dont's concerning the inverter? are there any 101 threads on inverters? thanks

Also has anybody set up a spreadsheet of applicable filter numbers and normal maintenance items.

Sorry for so many questions.
Your inverter also has a converter charger and built into a single unit if it's factory OEM.
The inverter is most useful for dry camping and can go all day and night, if you use power sparingly. We also like it for running the fridge while underway and for short periods in between. A residential fridge draws a lot less power, compared to our RV type hog.
If you should be in a park somewhere without facilities and you're only allowed to run the genset at certain hours, you'll have all the comforts of home in between. Except for things such as cooling, of course.
The basics for inverters are modified sine wave and pure sine wave, which cost a lot more. You most likely have the former if original and will do the job in most all cases, except for some of the later and fancy electronics that don't like square waves. Some of the ice makers in top end residential fridges are a prime example'
Also most digital clocks will run fast with these, but not all.
Also once had some home made DVD's that didn't play right on a MSW, but surprisingly the store bought movies did. Go figure.
Every once in awhile, one will add a pure wave inverter and just to run certain things, like the fridge. Some come from the factory that way, as well.
However, we run our RV type fridge on a mod, use it going down the road and don't use propane at all except when necessary and without power for a spell.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #6

If you haven't already, you should consider joining the Discovery Owners of America. There are a lot of informative articles on the website, and the email group has a lot of people who are extremely knowledgeable about Discoverys in general, and many who know a lot about your particular coach year and model.

Tags
cat