Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #1

Wink New fleetwood discovery owner- can u help

We have purchased a 2001 Fleetwood Discovery, worked out some problems (thanks to this wonderful website) but still have one that is about to drive us crazy. We can not locate the switch that changes the hot water heater from gas to elec. My husband (shane) says he knows it can be ran off elec because you can see the 110 coming from the hot water heater. Also, we had it at a local dealership having some other things worked on, the tech could not find the switch either. Would anyone happen to know where the switch would be. Thanks alot.

Cheri
SherRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Discovery Elect waterheater switch

Switch should be in overhead passengerside cabinet. Should be 2 switches, one for gas and one foe elect.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #3

Thanks, I went to turn on the a/c a bit ago, letting it cool off. It's has been like 105 degrees here in Oklahoma. I will go back out and look, there is a gas switch on the panel with the holding tanks and everything else (over drivers side) over passengers seat is the dvd player etc. (i haven't move that stuff) maybe it could be there. We just don't want to have to worry about getting propane when we are traveling. Thanks for time have a Happy 4th of July. Cheri
Old 07-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #4

Some Suburban models have a little switch inside the cover which is on the exterior. It is usually hidden behind some other stuff. If you don't have one inside that is obvious, take off the outside grill and look carefully for it.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Their is also a Discovery Owners club where you can get any questions answered and many hints, tips and modifications for a D.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #6

thanks guys, i'm going out now to give it another shot, man if i could figure this out my hubby would be proud of me. appreciate your time. Cheri
Old 07-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherRon View Post
Thanks, I went to turn on the a/c a bit ago, letting it cool off. It's has been like 105 degrees here in Oklahoma. I will go back out and look, there is a gas switch on the panel with the holding tanks and everything else (over drivers side) over passengers seat is the dvd player etc. (i haven't move that stuff) maybe it could be there. We just don't want to have to worry about getting propane when we are traveling. Thanks for time have a Happy 4th of July. Cheri
What is the "gas" switch for? May be another switch for electric. This sounds like the place to be looking for the water heater switch.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
On my Fleetwood Revolution the hot water switches are in the curb side kitchen cabinet. The first long cabinet. There are five switches in a row a light switch a fan switch a water pump switch and two switches for the hot water one gas and one electric.
lyledavid
lyledavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #9

Don't know about Fleetwood, but our Gerogetown had a switch on a panel in the cabinet next to the sink that selects ac voltage to either the microwave or an electric water heater. I've used in on electric a few times. but I'm not sure it works properly.

It is usually possible to run the water heater on both electric power and propane for a faster warm-up. Mine's supposed to, but it's hard to tell. Some diagnostics with a Kill-a-Watt are imminent!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The 120vac switch for the heater can be almost anywhere. Ours in inside a cabinet under the bathroom sink. It often looks like a regular residential light switch rather than the typical RV 12v switch.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by padre44 View Post
Some Suburban models have a little switch inside the cover which is on the exterior. It is usually hidden behind some other stuff. If you don't have one inside that is obvious, take off the outside grill and look carefully for it.

We have a 5er with the suburan WH and the switch inside the outside cover is the worlds smallest toggle switch with a cotter pin thru it. It was really hard to spot the first time I looked for it. You have to remove the cotter pin to switch it to electric. We also have a wall switch in the one cabnet so I only use the outside switch as a safety switch when I drain the WH and there is no water in the WH.
Hope that will help you out.
Thane
Old 07-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #12

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, made another sweep thru the motorhome yesterday but did not make it to taking off the outside panel, the kids thought they needed dinner, lol. I am going to leave that to Shane (my hubby) when he gets in. I very much appreicate your time. Happy 4th of July!! Cheri
Old 07-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #13

p.s I will let you know what we find. There is a switch on the panel that says hot water heater. when you push it you can hear the propane fire up. the water pump switch: there is one by the bathroom sink and one by the kitchen sink: i can not find any switch that i don't know what it's for. even removed the drawers. so hopefull it's in the outside compartment. If not I am calling fleetwood. I think they have someone who likes to hide switches and laugh at how long it takes people to find them.lol Thnaks again!! Cheri
Old 07-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #14

My 01 discovery has a switch right in front of the sink when you switch it on a light in the switch comes on that is the electric switch and the propane is in the cabinet in front of the passenger sit
Randy blase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood