Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2016, 05:13 AM   #1

New Fleetwood HR

I am sure this topic has been discussed many times. But I need to ask a couple qustions. I have been RVing since 98 and on our 4th RV. What are the mpg anyone is getting with their 2016 (+or- years) F53 Ford V-10? I hear anywhere from 6+ to 9 mpg. I own a new 2016 33' Fleetwood Holiday Rambler. Also what are your thoughts on the poor rear camera monitor? Has anyone modified or improved it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've read a bunch on the '16 V10/6 speed combo and haven't seen many (if any) reports that it is improving fuel economy. Almost everyone says it is a vast improvement in shift points and drive-ability over prior years though. There are a number of threads on it in the Ford Chassis forum.
I thought the HR had the same monitor as the FW, no? What exactly is wrong with the one you have? The one in mine certainly does the job and a vast improvement over the last RV I had where it was B&W.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2015 vacationer and get 7.5 mpg with toad, my cameras and monitor work great.
Mrfix
Old 07-07-2016, 04:50 AM   #4

The 2016 HR Fleetwood must have a different dash. The monitor does not face the driver. It is flat on the dash. I have difficulty viewing the screen.
As for mpg I hope it gets better than the 7 or 8 mpg. I talked to a RV owner with a V-10 who said they added a "chip" and cold air intake and was getting 12+ mpg(?)
Old 07-07-2016, 06:32 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwedge413 View Post
The 2016 HR Fleetwood must have a different dash. The monitor does not face the driver. It is flat on the dash. I have difficulty viewing the screen.
As for mpg I hope it gets better than the 7 or 8 mpg. I talked to a RV owner with a V-10 who said they added a "chip" and cold air intake and was getting 12+ mpg(?)
I've talked to many owners in my travels and all get 6 to 8 with or without the tow car. I have a ford excursion with a v10 and it gets 10 mpg on a good day cruising on the level. Like I said I asked many owners and the normal expected fuel mileage for a v10 in a class a or class c motorhome is 6 to 8 mpg. The diesels do about the same except for the Mercedes based units but they are smaller and can be known to have dependability issues.
Mrfix
Old 07-07-2016, 06:48 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwedge413 View Post
Best of luck trying to get 12+ on a class A F53 V-10. Most reports on fuel economy of the F53 are in the 7-8 range. There are many threads in the forums on it.
I have a degree in accounting. I find it amazing how a few people come up with a calculation for gas mileage.
The simplest way is fill the tank and note the odometer mileage, drive a good long distance, fill it up ( and make sure its full not just where it happens to click off that one time) and note the odometer mileage. Subtract the 2 odometer readings and divide by the number of gallons used to fill the tank.
Also, you will note that most mpg computers in vehicles are not very accurate so do not be fooled by what is on the little led in the vehicle.
I am not from Missouri, but on this topic, you'll have to "Show Me".
Speed, load/weight/toad/trailer, AC use, generator use, wind speed and direction, terrain, etc. will all affect the mpg.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
In my experience, the best way to achieve UNBELIEVABLE fuel milage on any f-53 chassis motorhome is to do the following:

1-install 5-star program.

2-install cold air intake.

3-set tire pressures 5 lbs higher than needed (after weighing coach)

4-fill fuel tank to the brim.

5-do not, and I repeat, do not start engine.

6-do not drive the coach, at all, not ever.

If all of these steps are closely followed, you will have fuel milage that everyone will love, but no one will want.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I own a new 2016 33' Fleetwood Holiday Rambler.
Wash your mouth out with soap!

Yes, they are all built in the same REV Group factory, and yes there is more similarity than difference in some models, but it's not a "Fleetwood Holiday Rambler". If anything, It's a Monaco Holiday Rambler, since the Monaco brand management handles the HR line as well. Or maybe a Rev Holiday Rambler.

OK, I'm mostly just yanking your chain. But they really are different brands, even if the brand managers ultimately decide to use very similar designs to reduce production costs for a given model. Fleetwood is no longer the corporate entity with ultimate control - they are just another brand within REV Group nowadays.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:59 AM   #9

New Fleetwood HR

Learned something new. So my Holiday Rambler is not a Fleetwood. The salesman kept calling it a Fleetwood saying they bought out HR and many other brands. Like I always said...Most salesmen usually do not know the product they sell. They just sell.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:00 AM   #10

New Fleetwood HR

I did a Google search on "REV" concerning the Fleetwood connection. They are based in Orlando, Florida and manufacture many types vehicles. Fire trucks, ambulances, Recreational vehicles etc. they also do Fleetwood products, Monico, American Coach, and Holiday Rambler. I suppose one (the salesman) can say Fleetwood and HR are somewhat connected. I know there was a Monico manufacturing plant in Wildwood, Florida. Right next to The Villages, Florida south of Ocala, Florida which now is an Alliance Coach RV dealership.

Tags
fleetwood