RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #1

New Guy, 2013 35K chore list

Hi all,
just picked up a 2013 35k with 17k miles for a great price, looks new in and out. Needs some minor stuff, but in a variety of areas. Let me know your thoughts on the following:

Front seats are shedding like a dog, heard you can get flexsteel to send you new covers for about 300 a seat.

Vacuflush is in the worst spot under the belly but I'm working through my "can't get a green light" issue.

Driver and passenger side windows fogged already. Plan on doing laminated automotive "green" to replace them. Anyone have them fog so early?

Dog House has cracked from someone stepping on it. (can't see it under the carpet but it's there) Plan to lay in metal and add fiberglass mat and to sound proof when I'm in there.

Fridge handle cracked. (seems common)

Screen door latch broke (really common)

Wiper linkage squeaks....hope I can grease.

Does not have washer dryer option, but amazingly, all of the plumbing and electrical is all there under the carpeted back wall, so I'll be writing that up.

Manifolds have a slight leak, hope to get the studs to back out and not crack off. (Had a v10 truck for a while, very familiar).

Plan to do the cheap handling fix right away.

Anything else?

agpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #2

We picked up our Bounder 35K almost a year ago with less than 8000 miles at the time. I've noticed or already done some of the things you've mentioned:

Our seat leather is starting to peel, too.

The Vacuflush pump is fine yet, but I want to take it out and replace the duckbill valves and inside plunger thing. I have the parts; I just have to figure out how to climb inside to get the pump out.

I replaced all four fridge handles.

I twist-tied the screen door handle to the plastic linking bracket, so both doors just stay together.

I've done CHF front and back. I would recommend checking out this thread, if you haven't already. I also highly recommend replacing the sway bar bushings with those from Skuterdude. I haven't had a chance to post a full report yet, but they may have solved my "clunking" problem.

I'm also very happy with the 5-Star Tune.

I have LED headlights arriving tomorrow, but I'll have to wait until the weekend to install them.

I'll be interested in hearing how you make out with your fixes and upgrades.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:07 AM   #3

I have a few videos I recently did that might help you.

1. Installing Washer/Dryer combo. I highly recommend the Magic Chef model as it is half the cost of what your camping store sells. Even if you choose a different model you should watch the video as I show a common problem you want to check before installing.

2. Headlight replacement. I upgraded to LEDs and these are significantly better.

3. Inside LED upgrade to puck lights.

4. CHF. This is a must as it makes a big improvement in handling.

5. Dog house crack. I also had this. Unfortunately itís not made out of fiberglass, but some weird composite. You might have trouble getting fiberglass to stick to it. I decided to make a bracket that goes on the inside of the doghouse lid, cross ways, out of 3/4 angle iron. I welded braces on both sides that go down and bolt to frame tubing thatís around the doghouse. It looks like the PI symbol. I can now stand on it with no movement or cracking and itís removable if needed.

I also have a vid on my channel about engine starting problems you might run into. It will at least help you diagnose.

Good luck with your 35k, we really like ours!
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:05 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you replace the vacuflush duckbills, replace the bellows. They wear out too and create a mess when they do.
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by agpopp View Post
Hi all,
just picked up a 2013 35k with 17k miles for a great price, looks new in and out. Needs some minor stuff, but in a variety of areas. Let me know your thoughts on the following:

Front seats are shedding like a dog, heard you can get flexsteel to send you new covers for about 300 a seat.

Flexsteel will provide replacement seat skins. Make sure you specify you want Ultraleather and not the OEM Austin Halo junk. Cost is about $900 including shipping. Just did mine about 3 months ago and very pleased.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathComp View Post
We picked up our Bounder 35K almost a year ago with less than 8000 miles at the time. I've noticed or already done some of the things you've mentioned:

Our seat leather is starting to peel, too.

The Vacuflush pump is fine yet, but I want to take it out and replace the duckbill valves and inside plunger thing. I have the parts; I just have to figure out how to climb inside to get the pump out.

I replaced all four fridge handles.

I twist-tied the screen door handle to the plastic linking bracket, so both doors just stay together.

I've done CHF front and back. I would recommend checking out this thread, if you haven't already. I also highly recommend replacing the sway bar bushings with those from Skuterdude. I haven't had a chance to post a full report yet, but they may have solved my "clunking" problem.

I'm also very happy with the 5-Star Tune.

I have LED headlights arriving tomorrow, but I'll have to wait until the weekend to install them.

I'll be interested in hearing how you make out with your fixes and upgrades.

Sounds like I've a case of the commons then.
I did talk to Fleetwood today about the the flush pump and the guy said they have one skinny guy with long arms who does all the work!

I think the best access to the pump is to cut an access panel in the rear pass through you can fot in to reach the access panel there.
Thanks for your replies!
Old 09-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #7

Excellent stuff!
I noticed the bulbs are halogen....what a silly thing to do in 2013....I know the LEDs were available then.

I had some heat soak after coming off the road and shutting down at a service shop to get air on the way home. It cranked but slowly.

Excellent videos!

I also thought a out making a similar brace. For the dog house. Have any pics? Was yours also glued down?

How many psi are you running in the tires. I could only get 90 out of the line I used bit thought I'd use mine to put in 100.

Thanks for everything.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Excellent stuff!
I noticed the bulbs are halogen....what a silly thing to do in 2013....I know the LEDs were available then.

I had some heat soak after coming off the road and shutting down at a service shop to get air on the way home. It cranked but slowly.

Excellent videos!

I also thought a out making a similar brace. For the dog house. Have any pics? Was yours also glued down?

How many psi are you running in the tires. I could only get 90 out of the line I used bit thought I'd use mine to put in 100.

Thanks for everything.
My dog house cover was held down with screws on the corners. You have to find them in the carpet, which was challenging the first time. I have a pic of the brace somewhere and will upload when I find it.

I am running 90 psi in the tires as thatís what the chassis recommends. I did add a Harbor Freight Fortress air compressor with a 50ft hose reel mounted in the rear compartment (driver side). I love it as itís quiet and fits perfectly. It will pump up to 135psi and has a small tank so you have enough air to blow things off.

I also just added fans to my fridge. Just used a couple PC fans with a switch and fuse. Seems to have helped a lot.

Iíll add a video of the air compressor and fridge fans to my YouTube channel soon.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:48 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hi all,

Vacuflush is in the worst spot under the belly but I'm working through my "can't get a green light" issue.

Driver and passenger side windows fogged already. Plan on doing laminated automotive "green" to replace them. Anyone have them fog so early?

Dog House has cracked from someone stepping on it. (can't see it under the carpet but it's there) Plan to lay in metal and add fiberglass mat and to sound proof when I'm in there.

Does not have washer dryer option, but amazingly, all of the plumbing and electrical is all there under the carpeted back wall, so I'll be writing that up.

Manifolds have a slight leak, hope to get the studs to back out and not crack off. (Had a v10 truck for a while, very familiar).

Anything else?
Yes. Sell it...it's a Fleetwood.
wayno347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Hi all,

Anything else?

Looking to pick up a similar unit. What price did you end up paying if you donít mind? Thanks
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno347 View Post
Yes. Sell it...it's a Fleetwood.

I just got it!

What brand is better? They're all junk if you ask me. Stapled piece work particle board rolling follies.

I've rebuilt many rvs. Last was a grand design 5th wheel.

Believe me they are all the same.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsportys View Post
Looking to pick up a similar unit. What price did you end up paying if you donít mind? Thanks
15k less than I've been seeing. Got a pretty good deal but had to travel and deal with some minor tlc items.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:30 AM   #13

On a 2013 35k, does anyone know where the switch for the front 2 ceiling lights are? These are the 2 over the drivers area....maybe they are just burnt out?
Old 09-21-2019, 12:22 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In our 2012, they are down by the door on the side of the kitchen cabinet. (Where the porch light, steps switches, etc. are.)