Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2016, 01:32 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
New Tires

Greetings all,

The Eagle needs new tires. Currently running 275 80 22.5 in the front and 265 75 22.5 in the rear but would rather run the same size on all tires, upsize a little, and drop some psi. Heres the kicker To run Goodyear Fuel Max LHS 295 75 22.5 for $380.00 a tire or to save some money and run Toyo M144 295 80 22.5 for $340.00.

80R 22.5 is slightly wider tire and I'm not sure if they will fit being duals.

Any Suggestions?
MoePo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 05:10 AM   #2

The first step is insuring the proposed tires will properly fit your rims. The next step is insuring they will not hit anything when turned to steering limits, or when the suspension bottoms-out.
Dual wheels have a minimum distance between them for safety,(pg 45 of that pdf) The rule-of-thumb is 1.5" between the duals at the bulge, but it isn't scientific.
Different diameter tires from OEM size will change gear ratios and effective power to the ground:https://tiresize.com/calculator/
If you're good with all that, why not.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have recently install six new Goodyear 295/75R22.5 G399A 16 ply tires.

Before I did this I spoke with my chassis manufacture and the recommendation was to go with the largest tire that would fit. The tires I took off were 295/75R22.5 Samson. I went with the same size. My coach came from the factory with the same tires you currently have.

Give Freightliner a call and see what they recommend for your chassis.

I expected a slightly harsher ride going from 14 ply to 16 ply.

I was pleasantly surprise, I could not tell the difference in the ride and the coach handles a LOT better.

My coach is a little heaver than yours is, you might be able to use 14 ply, check your axle weight ratings.

I do pull a 28 foot trailer.

Just returned from a 1,600 trip to Madison Il.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I have recently install six new Goodyear 295/75R22.5 G399A 16 ply tires.

Before I did this I spoke with my chassis manufacture and the recommendation was to go with the largest tire that would fit. The tires I took off were 295/75R22.5 Samson. I went with the same size. My coach came from the factory with the same tires you currently have.

Give Freightliner a call and see what they recommend for your chassis.

I expected a slightly harsher ride going from 14 ply to 16 ply.

I was pleasantly surprise, I could not tell the difference in the ride and the coach handles a LOT better.

My coach is a little heaver than yours is, you might be able to use 14 ply, check your axle weight ratings.

I do pull a 28 foot trailer.

Just returned from a 1,600 trip to Madison Il.
Glenn,

I also just installed the 295/75R22.5 G399. Load range H I am very satisfied with them.

USMC_1345, Be VERY careful dropping tire psi with out know what your axle weights are, under inflation is a big problem, cause tire to run hot and blow out.
Use tire mfg. load inflation recommendations.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Glenn you are in fact right your coach does weigh a little more than mine. I should be able to stay in the Load range G depending on which brand. Spoke with Freightliner and they said run the biggest tire possible.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #6
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_1345 View Post
Glenn you are in fact right your coach does weigh a little more than mine. I should be able to stay in the Load range G depending on which brand. Spoke with Freightliner and they said run the biggest tire possible.
I see in your signature you have a Gillig chassis?

You should talk to Gillig then about the tires. I have found them to be very responsive to questions.

Also if you do have the Gillig chassis , the weight label behind your seat many be incorrect. American Coach came out with an updated label that was a replacement to the one originally installed.

If it is the original label the weight rating on the front axle in your coach many be understated.

The updated label was basically for units with a slide as American Coach had under estimated the weight on the front axle for those units.

"There have been 8 recalls on American Eagle vehicles in recent years. The latest, dated 2013-11-25 and published by the NHTSA on 2013-12-18, was due to a problem with the buckle assembly. Approximately 774 vehicles were involved. Since 1996, American Eagle's have experienced approximately 24 recall(s) due to hazards with various components, including the fuses and circuit breakers, labels, equipment, recreational vehicle and shaft sector. See a list of recalls for your model year below"

Recall Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTOR HOMES. THE SUBJECT MOTOR HOMES, WHEN BUILT WITH A DISPROPORTIONATE FRONT AXLE WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION, FULLY EQUIPPED, LOADED WITH CARGO, AND OPERATED WITH IMPROPER TIRE PRESSURES, CAN EXPERIENCE AN OVERLOAD CONDITION ON A FRONT TIRE. Hazard: OVERLOADING OF A TIRE CAN LEAD TO TIRE FAILURE. Remedy: DEALERS WILL EQUIP THE SUBJECT MOTOR HOMES WITH NEW LARGER CAPACITY FRONT TIRES, WILL ADJUST THE WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION ON THE FRONT AXLE (IF NECESSARY), APPLY NEW CERTIFICATION LABELS, AND REINFORCE CONSUMER EDUCATION ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF TIRE MAINTENANCE, INCLUDING ROTATION, ALIGNMENT, AND TIRE INFLATION PRESSURE. Additional Info: FLEETWOOD RECALL NO. 91015.OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN DECEMBER 3, 1999.OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FLEETWOOD AT 1-800-322-8216.ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-16-2016, 03:44 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Glenn, thanks again for the great info. I do have the Gillig Chassis, front axel rated at 10410# (see below). I will have to call Gilig and confirm whether or not my coach has the correct data plate. My coach is a 96 but on a 95 frame. I wonder if that makes a difference in the recall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	127161  
Old 05-16-2016, 07:26 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Update: called gillig, didn't really get to much guidance. The tech I spoke with sounded middle eastern and they told me to call Fleetwood. So I did. I talked to Deb very knowledgeable she knew all about the recall. She told me that my coach did have bigger tires installed in 2000, however the data plate was not changed and Since the company went bankrupt in 2009 I'll never get one.

So since my data plate is inaccurate I need to find a scale and weigh the front axle. She did however recommend a "load range H" tire.

Thank you all for the guidance
Old 05-16-2016, 07:32 AM   #9
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Glenn, thanks again for the great info. I do have the Gillig Chassis, front axel rated at 10410# (see below). I will have to call Gilig and confirm whether or not my coach has the correct data plate. My coach is a 96 but on a 95 frame. I wonder if that makes a difference in the recall.
Gillig would not know about the recall.

American Coach did the recall.

Call 800-435-7345, have on hand the Fleetwood #

That number is located on the left side of the coach on a decal in the black trim around the side window by the drivers seat.

That is the only information they should need.

I would, however, find and store the following information.

Vehicle Vin #......On registration
Fleetwood #.......On decale........should look like this 720AV5202890
MFD ID #...........On decale........should look like this 02890
Chassis Date.......On decale........should look like this 7/96
Vehicle Date........On decale........should look like this 1997

Good luck (actually both Gillig, and American Coach are good to deal with)

http://americancoach.com/partsandservice/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #10
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Update: called gillig, didn't really get to much guidance. The tech I spoke with sounded middle eastern and they told me to call Fleetwood. So I did. I talked to Deb very knowledgeable she knew all about the recall. She told me that my coach did have bigger tires installed in 2000, however the data plate was not changed and Since the company went bankrupt in 2009 I'll never get one.

So since my data plate is inaccurate I need to find a scale and weigh the front axle. She did however recommend a "load range H" tire.

Thank you all for the guidance
Yes, Fleetwood will do nothing about rectification labels because of the bankruptcy in 2009.

I went through that when I wanted a new data sheet for the wall in the closet (you know about that sheet?) Look on the forward wall of the closet in the bathroom. There should be a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper glued to the wall with weight information.

Gillig sells (what they call manufactured parts, not in stock but will make them for you) a 10,000 pound hitch for your frame. Fleetwood only sold the Gillig chassis with a 5,000 hitch.

Gillig sent me the drawings for the 10,000 hitch, See the attached. With these drawings a good fab shop could build the hitch for you.

I ended up installing a Reese universal 16,000 pound hitch. I just wanted the extra capacity.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 10k hitch 1.pdf (506.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf 10k hitch 2.pdf (385.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf 40-33891.pdf (26.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf 40-33892.pdf (26.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf 59-35943.pdf (43.4 KB, 26 views)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Yes, Fleetwood will do nothing about rectification labels because of the bankruptcy in 2009.

I went through that when I wanted a new data sheet for the wall in the closet (you know about that sheet?) Look on the forward wall of the closet in the bathroom. There should be a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper glued to the wall with weight information.

Gillig sells (what they call manufactured parts, not in stock but will make them for you) a 10,000 pound hitch for your frame. Fleetwood only sold the Gillig chassis with a 5,000 hitch.

Gillig sent me the drawings for the 10,000 hitch, See the attached. With these drawings a good fab shop could build the hitch for you.

I ended up installing a Reese universal 16,000 pound hitch. I just wanted the extra capacity.

Didn't know about that sheet will have to take a look. Im curious though, not to much difference between your coach and mine. I wonder why your chassis is 3k heavier. I want to weigh the coach and see just how much the data plate is off then make my judgement on tires. As far the hitch goes the previous did have the 10,000 pound hitch installed. I won't be towing anything near that capacity, but its nice to know i can if i had to.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #12

Commercial Member

Changing tire size?

When considering a change in tire size there are different areas you should consider.

Tire load capacity. The general guide is to be sure you go with tires that have equal or greater load capacity than original but in some cases on older coaches tires may have been changed in size or Load Range (ply rating) by a previous owner. It is also possible that the original tires delivered a very small load capacity such that the coach is easily overloaded. Recalls may have been ordered or initiated but sometimes a manufacturer went bankrupt so no recall action took place or no new tire certification label was provided.
So it is up to you, the current owner to do your homework and get the facts.
- You need to learn the real load capability of the axle by contacting the manufacturer if there is no plate on the axle with GAWR info.
- You also need to learn the real loads you are placing on your tires with your coach fully loaded. Here is a worksheet with instructions on the steps and calculations you need to do.

Now load capacity is not the only information you need. You also have to be sure the tire will never rub and contact any portion of the coach or its suspension. part of this is obvious and can be discovered by rolling on your back with a flashlight to confirm sufficient clearance around all your tires. Don't forget to check both front tires with wheels turned completely both directions.

Rim width - There is a list of approved widths for each tire size. You must stay with the dimensions listed by the tire company

One final clearance check that is sometimes overlooked is the clearance between dual tires. This requires more than just looking at the rear tires. In tire company specification charts there will be a dimension called "Minimum Dual Spacing" for the tires you may be considering. This dimension is controlled by the wheels. Sometimes this information may be marked on the wheel but most likely you will need to contact the wheel manufacturer to learn the specification. This is CRITICAL, as too small a clearance can result in tire damage or even failure.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Weighing the coach won't tell you much of anything about the data plate. The axle GAWRs stay the same, and you cannot determine the GAWR from the actual weight. The tire sizes shown on the data plate are probably what was inadequate, i.e. insufficient load capacity for the max axle weight (GAWR). That was a common fault in the mid-late 90's, as RV builders consistently neglected to measure weights properly when they altered floor plans or options.

Unless you think the axles were changed, you need tires that are capable of carryng the max axle loads (GAWR). Just verify that on whatever tire you are considering, then check the overall diameter, revs/mile, and dual spacing to make sure they really fit your coach. Also be sure you don't choose a tire too wide for your wheels.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires