Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #1

New Tires Today!

Well, time came to put new rubber on our coach. I researched a great many manufactures to zero in on Toyo M-154 265/75R/22.5 to replace our original Michelin XRV. All six spun balanced and mounted was $2,500.00 verses $3,500+ for Goodyear or direct Michelin replacements.

It appears to ride slightly smoother and tracks like a dart. We had some concern regarding ride but Toyo rep told us to expect a very comfortable ride, and it is. Tracking is definitely better.

Our old Michelin tires had 80% tread left however they were 8 years old. Started seeing signs of sidewall cracking. It was a shame to see them go due to age, not wear. Not saying we didn't like the Michelin tires, only the economics of the matter. I was told by a Michelin dealer that the cost difference is due to "UV Stabilizer" in the Michelin tires to retard the effects of the sun. I work with UV stabilizers and they do not cost $180.00 relative to the amount of rubber in this size tire. In volume, $20.00 maybe. I'll just cover my Toyo tires and have a grand to spend on fishing lures and beer.

Hope this provides someone else good info on tire change time.
Travel safe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #2

Congrats on the new shoes. It is amazing how much of a difference they make.
Diesel_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #3

Good deal! What tire pressure are they set at?
Old 06-22-2018, 05:38 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery39s View Post
Well, time came to put new rubber on our coach. I researched a great many manufactures to zero in on Toyo M-154 265/75R/22.5 to replace our original Michelin XRV. All six spun balanced and mounted was $2,500.00 verses $3,500+ for Goodyear or direct Michelin replacements.

It appears to ride slightly smoother and tracks like a dart. We had some concern regarding ride but Toyo rep told us to expect a very comfortable ride, and it is. Tracking is definitely better.

Our old Michelin tires had 80% tread left however they were 8 years old. Started seeing signs of sidewall cracking. It was a shame to see them go due to age, not wear. Not saying we didn't like the Michelin tires, only the economics of the matter. I was told by a Michelin dealer that the cost difference is due to "UV Stabilizer" in the Michelin tires to retard the effects of the sun. I work with UV stabilizers and they do not cost $180.00 relative to the amount of rubber in this size tire. In volume, $20.00 maybe. I'll just cover my Toyo tires and have a grand to spend on fishing lures and beer.

Hope this provides someone else good info on tire change time.
Travel safe
Michelin spends money on "UV Stabilizer"? Really? Seriously?
I always thought it was for marketing, as it takes some real doing, for making so many people thinking, that their tires are the only ones worth having on the whole planet. It begins with offering them to new coach manufactures, at a price they can't refuse.
Some of, if not the worst premature checking, I've ever seen, were on Michelin tires!
You made a right decision, IMO.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:22 PM   #5

Well George,
Glad you got the new skins. It's always a nice piece of mind when new skins are under you, even on a regular car. But on a motorhome, it's even better. And it's waaaaaaaaaaaay better when you when you get what you want, what you need and, for a better price. Michelins "may" be a good tire, or, may HAVE BEEN a good tire in the past but, I'm by far, nowhere near an expert on this. I just know what I read on here and, talking to folks in real life at multiple campgrounds/RV parks when general conversation turns to tires. So many have migrated away from Michelins for multiple reasons.

So, anyways, enjoy your new tires, check your coach weight and, apply the correct air pressure via the tire pressure chart of the tires you purchased.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:12 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Excellent.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:01 AM   #7

Not sure on the actual pressure just yet for formal traveling. We are going to load everything up as we would on a trip then go down to the CAT scales and see what each corner weighs. I'm anticipating 105-110 knowing we load pretty even side to side and having 1/2 tank fresh water.Propane tank is dead center along with gray and black tanks offsetting each other, side to side. If I can keep the two dogs and cats on one side then I think it should be pretty well balanced!

YES, the peace of mind knowing new rubber is touching the road is calming. I've read and watched enough video on large coaches crashing because of blowouts. Also knowing I'm not a 55 mph guy when I get on the flat pavement.

My wife had a big influence on the decision to spend this $. We started with a class C back early 2000 and experienced a rear inner blowout coming through Hotlanta at 2 in the afternoon. Sounded like we were hit by a missile. The impact was severe enough to break the plastic inner wheel liner. Tires were 6 years old. Scared us to the point that I said it would never happen again due to tire maintenance or UV damage. So, to all my fellow RV'ers, keep a close eye on the rubber that can make a great trip go bad in about 50MS when a tire does blow. Someday I may experience another but it wont be because I didn't pay attention to the tires.

Travel safe
Old 06-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #8

Put a ad on Craigs List, a trucker would pay $100 each to have the tires.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:34 AM   #9

One last thing about tires. Be sure to make the dealer accountable for the manufacture date. I explained to the dealer that we would not accept tires past 4 months, date code. Ours we produced 03/18. The date codes are required to be on the tire(s) by DOT.
Some dealers may have tires sitting around for as much as a year. This short lives the life of your "new" tires even though they are new old stock.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #10

Grindstone,
Yep, I hear ya. Knowing the tires are past safe operating condition, my opinion, I cant sell them to anyone knowing that fact. I got a great price. They did expert work and I'll let them sell em if they are okay with it. For me, I just cant sell them in the condition the sidewalls were in.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery39s View Post
Grindstone,
Yep, I hear ya. Knowing the tires are past safe operating condition, my opinion, I cant sell them to anyone knowing that fact. I got a great price. They did expert work and I'll let them sell em if they are okay with it. For me, I just cant sell them in the condition the sidewalls were in.

You did the right thing. I wouldn't even give someone something I didn't think was safe to use myself.
Lynn
Old 06-24-2018, 03:18 AM   #12

You mentioned spun balanced. Are there any weights visible on the rims? I'm curious as our coach wheels have no visible weights. In fact looking at the wheels on 18 wheelers I don't see any weights on those either. Maybe on the inside of the rims? Please educate me!
Old 06-25-2018, 09:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5UMC View Post
You mentioned spun balanced. Are there any weights visible on the rims? I'm curious as our coach wheels have no visible weights. In fact looking at the wheels on 18 wheelers I don't see any weights on those either. Maybe on the inside of the rims? Please educate me!

"Spin Balancing" is when the tire is put on a special machine which spins the tire and measures the weight required to balance it. You can also balance then by using a special balancing tool which supports the tire on low friction precision bearings and allow the heavy spot to settle out. Then the appropriate weight is applied to the light side which allows the tire to be neutral. A weight can be installed on either side of the rim, so it may not be visible when mounted on the vehicle. In my experience, heavy truck tires are often not balanced, and generally do not cause noticeable issues. I did not balance my tires and I can not feel any vibrations at all from them.
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJoe View Post
"Spin Balancing" is when the tire is put on a special machine which spins the tire and measures the weight required to balance it. You can also balance then by using a special balancing tool which supports the tire on low friction precision bearings and allow the heavy spot to settle out. Then the appropriate weight is applied to the light side which allows the tire to be neutral. A weight can be installed on either side of the rim, so it may not be visible when mounted on the vehicle. In my experience, heavy truck tires are often not balanced, and generally do not cause noticeable issues. I did not balance my tires and I can not feel any vibrations at all from them.

Had our 6 new AH37 Hankook 275/70-22.5 spun balanced, and installer said it was the least amount of weight he’s ever used. Also have Centramatic Balancers in front. Rides like a Rolls. The AH37 is a new design as of 6/17, and we really like them!
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires