Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
New to me 2006 Discovery 39L

I just got a new to me 2006 Discovery 39L and trying to change minds from a Gas to Diesel and it looks confusing. How many fuel filters does this have and where are they located? I read where I can get to the engine from under the bed but I cant find any way to get to it when I lift the bed. Is there another way?
Thanks for any help you might give.
Bud Wilson
2006 Discovery 39 L
budwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #2

I don't know anything about your systems, but congratulations on your new rig.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Community Administrator

If you post the chassis you have it would be helpful. Congrats on your new RV.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
If it is like my 06 Providence 39L, lift the bed, then the frame work in the left rear corner of the bed comes off. Then poke around on the floor between the bed and closet with an ice pick or similar tool for four screws that hold the floor down. There is also an access in the closet for over the radiator that comes out the same way.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
I just got a new to me 2006 Discovery 39L and trying to change minds from a Gas to Diesel and it looks confusing. How many fuel filters does this have and where are they located? I read where I can get to the engine from under the bed but I cant find any way to get to it when I lift the bed. Is there another way?
Bud Wilson
2006 Discovery 39 L
When you lift the bed you need to remove the flooring underneath. Also there is a panel in the rear closet floor that comes out. May have one or two fuel filters depending on engine and when made. I'm going to assume it is a Cat C7 330 or 350. The main fuel filter will be in the rear passenger side and you can see the water separator when you look under the coach. If it has a second free and you may need to someone to find out, it is the secondary and is probably located tight up against the frame rail on the passenger side. Hard to find and get to.
Enjoy your new coach.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks all, I found the panel in the rear closet floor . Now I will have to dig around and find the one under the bed. Does the fuel filter on the rear passenger side suppose to have a see through bowl on it for water separation? I went from a gas Bounder to a diesel and it all kind of confusing to me. Thanks for any and all help you can give.

Bud Wilson
2006 Discovery 39L
budwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #7

Your floor should remove as stated above. Once the bed is lifted the left end of the frame is held in by two latch posts. You lift up the L shaped frame piece, then (you may have to use a screw driver) lift the carpeted floor slightly on the curb side edge and pull straight out toward the curb side. The entire section will slide toward you. When it clears the cabinet by the bed, lift it up and move it out of the way. You should now see a dark colored top cover for the engine compartment. It will probaby have 4 large screws holding it down. Remove the screws then pry the curb side edge up to break the seal, and lift the cover up (it is heavy). The second fuel filter if you have one will probably be located. on the curb side of the engine about half way toward the back. This is how the set up is on the 2004 and 2005 models.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks all, I found the panel in the rear closet floor . Now I will have to dig around and find the one under the bed. Does the fuel filter on the rear passenger side suppose to have a see through bowl on it for water separation? I went from a gas Bounder to a diesel and it all kind of confusing to me. Thanks for any and all help you can give.

Bud Wilson
2006 Discovery 39L
The secondary filter does not have a glass water separator. It is just an Inline cannister type.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
Your floor should remove as stated above. Once the bed is lifted the left end of the frame is held in by two latch posts. You lift up the L shaped frame piece, then (you may have to use a screw driver) lift the carpeted floor slightly on the curb side edge and pull straight out toward the curb side. The entire section will slide toward you. When it clears the cabinet by the bed, lift it up and move it out of the way. You should now see a dark colored top cover for the engine compartment. It will probaby have 4 large screws holding it down. Remove the screws then pry the curb side edge up to break the seal, and lift the cover up (it is heavy). The second fuel filter if you have one will probably be located. on the curb side of the engine about half way toward the back. This is how the set up is on the 2004 and 2005 models.
I have worked and worked to get the carpeted floor engine access panel out and still couldn’t get it to slide out. I took it back to the dealer where I purchased the unit and told them to show me how to get it out so I could have access the to lower engine cover. They couldnt get it out either.They just called me and said that the problem was that Fleetwood glued the floor by the bed down when they built the unit and it would take about 3 hrs for them to break everything lose so it would slide out. I told them that it shouldn’t be my responsibility to pay for something the factory did since I have only had this unit since November. I understand its out side of the warranty by a long time. What should I do now and what do you think?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I can't imagine the fuel filters and separator haven't been changed in 7-8 years? I'm sure they are being changed out from under the coach. But, just so you know....call Fleetwood and ask them.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Bud Wilson
2006 Discovery 39 L
1 have a 2005 fleetwood diesel pusher
you made the right decision,air ride,jake brake etc
access to your motor is under the closet floor,only to see the top of the motor
you probably have a cat engine
as for the fuel filters you can take them off perioically turn them upside down to dump the water out then reinstall
refer to manual on how often to replace

if you need further help my email is rolandh@mts.net
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #12

The filter up on the engine...C7 Cat... can be changed from underneath, no need to remove the floor panel which is a pain even after I have done it a few times.

I did not think anyone could reach that far up but I watched the mechanic change mine a few months ago...long arm is a necessity.

I seriously doubt if Fleetwood would have glued the engine access panel, nobody could be that stupid!!! There is a bead of black " sticky stuff" that might seem like glue but it is the seal to keep exhaust, etc. from entering the bedroom.
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote