Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
NO 12 v unless on shore or Generator

A friend has a 1999 Southwind Class A Ford V10. Recently the only way the 12 v works is when the generator is running or on shore power. The cut-off switch over the door activates a solenoid in the front engine access area and does make a sound when activated (click and clunk). Batteries are in fair condition, showing 12V (two GC 6 volt) . I have checked all fuse in panel under the refrigerator, as well as the two fuses on the Inteli Power Model PD 9155.

I'm thinking this converter is bad.

Is there any other diagnostic I can do before replacing?

Appreciate your help and advice. We have not had a gas coach in a long time and my similar problems with a pusher had different solutions.
Bob Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Actually it sounds like your converter is working fine. It supplies 12V when plugged into 120AC either from the generator or shore power.

Follow the positive battery cable, it should meet up with a circuit breaker before too long. Some have a button on the side to reset, others are automatic but it could be bad.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #3

If you have 12v only when you are plugged into shore power, it seems to me that one or more of the house batteries are just about finished. Check the batteries with a voltmeter and see what you get. Plug the coach in and see if the reading changes. If you see less that 12.2 volts the battery is ready for replacement. Normally, if the circuit breaker near the batteries is open nothing will work on 12v. Let us know what you find.
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Agree - the converter is fine. That's what makes the 12v available from shore or genset power. His problem is (1) dead batteries or (2) an open battery disconnect switch or (3) a blown fuse on the battery positive cable (if it has one).
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From your description I am guessing an Intelletec Battery Control System.
Now, there are two or three ways these are installed.

The service manual from intelletec shows a pair of POST type (PUSH HARD TO RESET) circuit breakers in the BOTTOM of the BCC box (This is a big black retangular box with the name on the cover) Press the STORE (Disconnect) Press both of them HARD to reset, then re-connect (USE).

My coach has that BCC but instead of the built in breakers I have a self resetting thermal breaker next to it (Smaller black box).

Some have manual resetting breakers elsewhere

Some have fuses (I have those too on one circuit)

Remaining suspects:
Bad disconnect SOLENOID
Bad connection
Bad wire .. Yes, I had a bad wire, 2 of them in fact, one failed and the other I replaced before it got that far.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Is a little knowledge a bad thing? Cause I only know a little!
Batteries are weak. Changed out for one 12 volt battery.
Put an outside charger on the battery, got 13.3 volts.
Still no 12V inside.
Start the engine, get 13.7 volts to coach battery, still no 12V.
(when I say "no 12V" I mean the lights in the coach will not go on)
In the front access there is a "battery control center" .
I'm getting good voltage from coach batteries to this and to the solenoid inside, as well as good voltage from the engine battery to this solenoid.
When I activate the Battery off switch (above the entry door) there is a clunk or click sound in this box.
All fuses in the box look good and none are marked for converter.
Also, I can not find any reset on the Inteli Power box, although access is limited.
Wa8yxm- there is a climate control box next to Intellic, but I can not find reset of any kind. It's mounted under the refrigerator and the duct work from heater goes through there also.

I had a similar problem with the Endeavor once. A solenoid in the fuse bay was bad, but I do not remember if the 12V worked with generator or not as this was a few years back.

This is my update, still working on the issue.

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
thanks again for all the help.
Batteries when checked with hydrometer showed FAIR.
Replaced batteries and found two 12V circuit breakers in the Battery Control box.
Re-set both and just like that.... power!.
I was not familiar with 12V reset-able circiut breakers. Looked right at them several times and did not recognize the reset buttons.
Thanks all!

Tags
generator