Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #1

No brake light (Driver side)

So the left brake light on my 2008 Fleetwood Providence 40X does not work. The tail-light comes on with the lights, but no the brake light. Obvious to think the problem is with the bulb, so I replaced it. Still no joy. Replaced it again and still no joy. The brake light works on the passenger side and all other lights are good. Any suggestions? The socket wiring appears good without any corrosion or defects.

Thx in advance...

Paul

08 Providence 40X ISC 360
Kalee II is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #2

I ran across a similar situation on a Bounder a friend owned. We found that the lights were wired independently with a fuse for the left and a different fuse for the right. This was a number of years ago so I don't recall all the details but the fuses were clearly marked left and right.
Hope this helps.
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalee II View Post
So the left brake light on my 2008 Fleetwood Providence 40X does not work. The tail-light comes on with the lights, but no the brake light. Obvious to think the problem is with the bulb, so I replaced it. Still no joy. Replaced it again and still no joy. The brake light works on the passenger side and all other lights are good. Any suggestions? The socket wiring appears good without any corrosion or defects.

Thx in advance...

Paul
Paul,
Well Sir, may I ask.
I don't know the tail light arrangement of a Providence so,
1. Does your tail light system utilize an AMBER turn signal or, does the brake lights use the same filaments as the turn signals?

There are, in many cases, separate fuses for right and left brake light and or, turn signals. I'm assuming you have checked all the fuses involved in this operation?

2. Have you removed the tail light assembly and looked behind it for any possible bulb/socket/wiring issues?

3. Just for grins, have you checked the output of the pins on the trailer plug? That is, have you checked to see if you have any issues with the left and or, right turn/brake light signal output on those pins in the trailer plug?

Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have power to the light?
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:19 PM   #5

The socket may be bad. Get a test light and check the wiring before the socket.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Paul,
Well Sir, may I ask.
I don't know the tail light arrangement of a Providence so,
1. Does your tail light system utilize an AMBER turn signal or, does the brake lights use the same filaments as the turn signals?

There are, in many cases, separate fuses for right and left brake light and or, turn signals. I'm assuming you have checked all the fuses involved in this operation?

2. Have you removed the tail light assembly and looked behind it for any possible bulb/socket/wiring issues?

3. Just for grins, have you checked the output of the pins on the trailer plug? That is, have you checked to see if you have any issues with the left and or, right turn/brake light signal output on those pins in the trailer plug?

Scott
Well thanks Scott for replying and those are great questions! No I have not checked the fuses. I would if I could find them! Yes I have separate Amber lights for turn and emergency. The socket looks brand new for the tail light. And I have not checked the trailer plug. Since the only light that does not work is the driver brake light and I've changed bulbs, is it likely that there is a separate fuse for right and left brake lights? Any idea where they have hidden these fuses?

Old 05-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #7

There is power to the socket (at least for the tail light piece), and the wiring and socket appear practically new. I'm wondering if there is a separate fuse for right and left brake lights? Any ideas. If so, where would these fuse be located?

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #8

Try cleaning contact point in the socket so it's shiny metal looking.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
Community Moderator

did you clean the seating/socket of the light? use a sound paper to clean it well before jump on expensive repair.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, driver, light