RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2018, 10:34 PM   #1

No need to winterize in Calif but i have questions

So I won't need to winterize as I am near San Diego but I don't feel good about leaving water in the fresh water tank. The coach is an 08 and I just got it but I don't know what the previous owner did.

So I'm wondering what I should do with all of the tanks.
Add 1/4 cup of bleach to fresh water tank (with 10 gallons or so) and let sit for a week or so and drain?

should I just empty it out totally and skip the bleach?

Also, the propane tank valve was open. While in storage should I close it or will this cause an issue when it's time to use the RV again?

For the gray and black tank I will flush it on my first use once I get to a dump station...won't really do anything special there.

Since I just got this RV from a previous owner I'm just wondering what the best thing to do here sanitary wise. Oh, and if I should drain the water heater also.

Sorry for all of the newbie questions...

DaltonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2018, 01:02 AM   #2

I would close the propane tank valve, empty all water and holding tanks then close all valves , if the RV is new to you, you might consider sanitizing the fresh water tank, there are several tips on doing that on google and irv2 using water bleach mixture. It doesn't take much bleach, one cup per 60 gallons of water if I remember., let it set awhile and flush out several times.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Drain the tanks. On my last dump before storage, I like to get the tanks as full of water as possible to get a good dump and clean.

Drain the fresh water system. Don't sanitize the plumbing until getting ready for next use.

Trun the propane valve OFF when in storage.

Consider disconnecting the batteries, depends how long in storage, may want to remove batteries and/or place on a small maintenance charger..

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #4

ok thanks guys!
It does have a small solar panel on the roof for a trickle charge but I think it's only for the engine battery. To be honest, I don't even know where the other batteries are or how many there are yet. I get it back tomorrow and will look. I've had to learn so much in so little time that I forgot some things. I just did some research yesterday on how to manually bring in/out the slides so I don't get stuck somewhere. Seems pretty easy, just need a 3/4" long wrench to carry on board now.
DaltonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #5

1/4 cup for every 15 gals of water....let sit overnight and flush......I would use the same ratios and let the pump fill the lines, then after sit'n, drain and flush...
Old 12-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #6

As stated, drain all the tanks before storage. If you live in the city, you can fill the tank with city water, as it would normally have chlorine already in it, which is basically bleach. As far as tools, most people carry a good assortment of tools. You probably are going to need them.

Tags
winter