Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #1

Unhappy No Power to Back Up Camera Monitor System

I bought a used 1999 35' Pace Arrow Class A motorhome about 6 weeks ago. I've been having various wiring problems worked on, and small things that were broken or worn replaced in the coach. I also had the on-roof air conditioner cleaned and checked out, along with all other systems.

I had the freon charged on the dash air, although it still doesn't work because there's apparently a switch inside a closed cover box that must be stuck or broken. My regular mechanic is going to work on that issue in a few days since the RV repair people won't work on anything in the dash, and the Ford dealer won't work on the dash air it because the original chassis didn't come with air conditioning.

I had my coach into a local RV repair shop at a large local dealer's to have Brake Buddy wiring put in this last week, which went fine. However, before I took my motorhome in, the back-up camera, a Panasonic BW system worked, but when I picked up the unit, it didn't work anymore, and 3 of their workmen said it never worked there. There is no longer any power going to it. I can't trace the wire because it's encased in the unit, and I can not find a blown fuse. I'm getting to take down the monitor and see if I can tell which wires, if any, are getting power.

I want to replace the whole back-up camera monitoring system with a color monitor, hopefully a 7", but I've read that the wireless digital systems have a smaller viewing area than the wired 7" monitor systems. I hesitate to get a new system that has to be wired in since the wiring that's there isn't working any more. If I can't find out why it's not getting power, should I just get the wireless digital system and maybe add a second camera to add to the scope of the view, or do you think this is something that Fleetwood could fix if I take the unit up to Indiana to their repair center? We already have an appointment scheduled there for August 12th because we are afraid we'll find more things that can't be fixed locally.

I never dreamed a Class A motorhome would have such complicated wiring as this one does. I also wasn't prepared for an authorized Fleetwood repair garage to not work on things I believe were added when the motorhome was built on the chassis.

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated

:Glenn
GLSherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 12:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I too have a1999 pace arrow Fleetwood that I just bought it about a month ago, my monitor also didn't have power to it. So to test it I just hooked up a different 12v power line and put the transmission in reverse and it came on. I tried to chase down the old power line but it is buried in the coach and all the fuses checked out good.
jimdazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #3

back-up monitor system

I was at my wits' end trying to find out why my monitor system suddenly wasn't getting any power. My DW suggested I pull the monitor all the way out and look behind it. I did to, and found more wires and fuses and sure enough, one was blown. Now the original black and white Panasonic monitor system is working, but I'm researching which color back-up monitoring system I should get. I've read that a new color system will hook up just fine to the old wiring, so I'm thinking I'll getting the hard wired digital one. Is there any advantage to having the wireless kind?

Glenn
Old 07-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I didn't know that Glen, if you the same wiring your camera would only come on when you goto reverse right? I want to be able to look at the camera at any time, like to check the toad and making sure I'm clear to get back into a lane. I bought a 7 in. Color monitor and camera but if only has a video in for the camera. Wish I would of waited I just seen a GPS with a 7in. Screen and a color backup camera, duel purpose what a concept! Lol
Jim
jimdazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:57 AM   #5

Backup me too

I have an 06 Providence with a b/w backup camera that fades out when going down the road. If I turn it off and wait it will come back on and ten go off again.

Anyone have any ideas on a fix. I am now thinking new system with an additional side view camera/s.

If I by a new system can I use the existing back up wiring? Anyone use a wireless system?
Old 07-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mborow View Post

If I by a new system can I use the existing back up wiring? Anyone use a wireless system?
I would think that if your existing camera has the usual RCA type video connector, usually yellow and 12V usually red then it should plug and play. Some companies like the Sony cameras in our MH use proprietary plugs (bastids!) so you might be able to cut the ends off and solder on the new ones like we did. If you get a camera with audio then there may not be enough wires for that.

Never used a wireless but if they work it seems like an easy solution.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you pull a new power wire, it should stay on all the time. I believe the original power wires are run to the reverse switch. I bet when your guy installed the brake buddy they probably disconnected the power when they were fooling with the wiring for that. Pull the unit out and check the connections on the back of the monitor. If everything is good and it still doesn't work I would just run a new wire.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #8

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdazley View Post
I didn't know that Glen, if you the same wiring your camera would only come on when you goto reverse right? I want to be able to look at the camera at any time, like to check the toad and making sure I'm clear to get back into a lane. I bought a 7 in. Color monitor and camera but if only has a video in for the camera. Wish I would of waited I just seen a GPS with a 7in. Screen and a color backup camera, duel purpose what a concept! Lol
Jim
Hi Jim. We bought a new GPS color 7" screen and monitor (the Good Sam one), but if you click it over the rear view look, you can't see the GPS screen, so it's one OR the other at any given time. Our wiring for the back up camera system is "hot" all the time, so it shows the rear view constantly when the motor is on, and not only when it's in reverse. The monitor for the b&w one is attached high up above the windshield where I can see it really well. The GPS monitor will sit on one of those heavy round bean-bag moveable bases on the dash where my wife can run it (she's the computer whiz, and not me), or if I'm driving alone, I'll set the bean-bag base on the console and aim the screen at me where I can see and hear it by myself. I always tell this joke: "My wife does all the driving. All I do is sit up there and hold on to the wheel." LOL Glenn
Old 07-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #9

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdazley View Post
Jim
I'd better clear something up. My b&w monitor shows the rear view all the time when we're moving down the road, or when we're parked or if the ignition switch is on "accessory". The engine doesn't have to be on. When you turn off the ignition, the rear-view monitor goes off. I like it this way because, like you, I like to look at the toad and see when it's clear to move back over.
Glenn

Tags
power, camera