Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #15

Thanks, good to know.
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Time for an update. Well my electrical problem is fixed. Turns out it was a bad connection in the battery compartment. Not the BCC. Turns out there are 3 cables on this one "positive" post. there wasn't much if any corrosion showing. I was geting a good 12V reading from the battery and through the top cable (to inverter/converter). the middle wire tied the two 6 volt batteries together. The bottom cable feeds the coach 12V through the BCC. The bottom cable was corroded and wasn't making good/any contact. The top cable was still sending power to the inverter. Well replaced the terminal and cleaned and protected all the connections and all are back to being happy.
I was extremely happy when reconnecting the battery worked and everything in the coach worked again. Nothing will work without 12V power. It doesn't matter if you are plugged into shore power or not. The generator will not run and no propane for stove, no heat, no cool. The nice RV becomes just a box you can sit in.
By the way Old Bounder was right on the money. I just had a hard time seeing the problem.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
By the way Old Bounder was right on the money. I just had a hard time seeing the problem.
Bill
You are welcome
Old 05-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Happened to us last night!

Found a broken battery connection. Our charge controller showed a POL error code, pointing us to the battery. Had to McGiver a connection for the evening. Now going to find an electrical shop to fix the cable.
We were tearing our hair out trying all previous avenues listed by the forum above. My son finally heard the charge controller alert. Then I remembered KISS ; keep it simple , stupid! The solution was right before our eyes.
Best of luck.
boxmanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmanusa View Post
Found a broken battery connection. Our charge controller showed a POL error code, pointing us to the battery. Had to McGiver a connection for the evening. Now going to find an electrical shop to fix the cable.
We were tearing our hair out trying all previous avenues listed by the forum above. My son finally heard the charge controller alert. Then I remembered KISS ; keep it simple , stupid! The solution was right before our eyes.
Best of luck.
Call the local auto parts store and ask who makes battery cables. I found a place and they had the ends and equipment to swage the terminals on.
I will now make it a practise to remove all cables and clean and inspect each one at least yearly. I am using a good dielectric grease to protect the terminals.
goodluck
Bill
Old 05-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Amazing experience

We had a great experience passing through Salt Lake yesterday. After seeing a couple of RV places pass by on our trek to Zion, I decided to have the broken cable looked at by the next available place. That happened to be Ray Citte in Roy, Utah.
Josh Thompson, Tim Ernst, and Sherrie Brown basically dropped everything to get us back on the road in less than 1 hour! Us Being from LA, they knew they would probably never see us again. Didn't matter to them. Sherrie when showed us her favorite places in Zion. It only cost us a nominal fee, and a future box of imported chocolates. Sherrie is a chocoholic.
An amazing crew in a great town. Give them a try of you're ever in Salt Lake.
Just had to give a shout out for exceptional service.
Ron
Old 05-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Me too! Amazing how much damage a little corrosion can cause and how fast. Thanks, Bob.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:16 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry, Bill.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
31 and snowing , and I thought my local weather was bad.
I was in Amarillo at the same time. I was parked at the Goodyear Comercial tire store. I lost one of my duals, (inside, right) at about 8:00 pm. Waited until almost 11:30 for the big hook to get out to us (we were at I-40 MM 16, East bound). Cold and dark sitting next to the highway for sure. We had no heat as the tire exploding and flapping around in the wheel well severed the propane line, water line to the water heater, blew the door off the heater, and just caused complete havoc with wires and cables running through the wheel well. So we slept in the coach the rest of the night huddled together under as many blankets as we could find. Goodyear had the tire and got us back on the road quite quickly. They tied all the loose wires up out of the way and we limped back to Illinois. Coach is in the shop now for repair.

I can certainly emphasize with you about not wanting to get out of the coach and troubleshoot a problem. That was a nasty weather situation for sure.

Glad you were able to get your problem sorted out. When the service manager at the shop took a peek at my damage he just shook his head and said, and I quote, 'oh my goodness'. At that I just thought to myself......chaching.......chaching.....

ROG
whitehedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:54 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry to hear about your problem. At least I could start the coach and run the furnace if it got to cold. I also ran a extension cord to the pedestal and ran a ceramic heater.
Hope they can get your coach fixed soon so you can get back on the road.
Bill

Tags
engine, power