Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question no tv - 2004 American Tradition

I'm asking a response for a friend---can you help? I'm the friend, e-mail address: twebber@netnitco.net I have a 2004, 40' American Tradition Coach. My tv is a 32" flat screen sony not HD. Need to change over to a HDTV. Currently have no signal whatsoever coming to the tv from the control box (Smart Source) over the dining table. I was able, on a few occassions to wiggle wires behind the "Smart Source" box, and the tv signal came through. All components are Sony, I was thinking to change the VHS player unit and 5 disc DVD player to one unit that can show either VHS or DVD. Also have a Satellite (Direct TV) unit that we do not use attached into the system. Have used the Direct in the past without problems. Anyone made TV changes that can offer suggestions or comments about change-over to HDTV? Changing the VHS and DVD boxes? Also comments about the "Smart Source" box problem is appreciated? Thank you!

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, no need to replace the TV if it works for VHS/DVD or can display the menu on the sat receiver.

Best guess is the cables (one of them, LIkely the one that runs from the switch box to the TV) has a bad end, the crimp on connectors they use come off in a hard sneeze. A new cable or re "Dressing" the cable (putting a new end on) should work there.

Now. For over the air TV.. Some DirecTV receivers and I assume DIsh but have not seen one to check, have ATSC (Diital over the air) receivers built in as well, some do not (older ones) If yours does, and will work in that mode w/o subscription, Let me know and Ill give you the hook up method.

If not you need a converter, one with ANALOG PASS THROUGH, (Though you might be able to get away without that) put it in the lead that runs FROM the switch TO the VCR (ant lead on VCR) not the lead that runs from the VCR back to the switch (TV-Out on VCR)

Now for over the air TV, selecte TV-ANT for the VCR, leave VCR turned off and it should pass the signal to the TV (Selet VCR for the TV). It's that simple, Less, of course, you want to record and watch at the same time (in which case you replace the VCR with a DVR)

NOTE: most VCRs can not controll an external device and I do not think the VCR+ devices can control Digital converters. My ReplayTV's have been "modified" to control the Digital converters, though sometimes it works,,, oddly. It allows me to record, change channels, and record again, all under comptuer control.. Even if I'm asleep or away when the change happens. Kind of neet, (and the "Tape" in the main DVR holds 250 hours... (40 on the other one) Too bad they don't make 'em any more.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have the same coach. If you have the original Sony tv, it's not a flat screen and not digital. We replaced ours with a 26' Sony digital LCD tv that is also HD capable. No changes were required simply to replace the tv - just plug in the existing coax and satellite cables to the back of the new tv 9they use separate inputs) and go. Ditto for the bedroom tv (we installed a Samsung 26" LCD HDTV there).

Satellite, VCR and DVD video sources run through the Smart Source and are switched by it. Antenna and cable tv sources do NOT go through Smart Source and feed the tv's directly through a second set of coax cables from the antenna switch plate in the cabinet over the entry door. If you cannot get any signal from satellite, DVD or VCR, it may be that the Smart Source has lost power (it plugs in at the back of the cabinet) or one or more connections is loose.

Note that the Sony DVD player is also your surround sound system, so if you remove that you lose the use of the surround speakers and the subwoofer under the dining table.

Do you need HD or just digital tv? If standard definition is acceptable for antenna tv, you can just add the digital converter that W8xym described. You don't need it for cable tv, DVD or VCR, though. Those are still analog signals. You need digital only for broadcast tv via the antenna.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #4

Gary,

I am long time lurker......new member here in iRV2. I just took delivery of a 2004 American Tradition 40J and trying to work out a few of the kinks as well as figure out all the little bells and whistles!

I noticed above in your post you mention that the surround sound runs through the DVD player. I have all the speakers with the exception of the sub that I will replace once I see if I can get the other speakers to work. My coach only has the Sony VCR and no DVD player. So does the surround sound run through the VCR? If so does that mean the VCR must be on to get sound to the speakers. Any help to set up/configure would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Jimbo
Old 08-21-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If the DVD player is missing, then somebody must have rewired the system at least partially. Either that or the sound only comes through the tv speakers. Both the tv and the VCR can play through the surround system, but originally they all went through the Sony DVD & Amp.

We normally run tv-only or VCR through the tv speakers only - they have a good sound (Sony digital tv). We use the surround system with the DVD player, since the DVDs typically have more sound (Dolby 5.1) available than standard tv fare or the rare video tape we might play.

You might be able to find on of those Sony DVD players on ebay - they show up once in awhile.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #6

Thanks Gary!

I figured it out last week and bought a cheap DVD player that has surround sound built in. I hooked up all the speaker wires and it works like a champ!

Still trying to figure out the OLD Tracvision satellite. I have read some other posts on how to make it work, but just haven't had time yet.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I gave up on my old Tracvision and replaced it with a new R4SL. Works like a champ.