Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #1

Nooobie question electrical

On my Discovery 05 EMS panel with both battery disconnects switched off should I still be able to turn on lights in the coach ( ceiling and bedroom). Also is there any indication that you have indeed disconnected batteries except for the action of pushing the switch to off. Is there no indicator light to mirror what position the battery disconnect is in? Thanks I have read manuals but can't figure it out.
Plane nutty
Plane nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

When the house battery switch has been turned off... you should not be able to run lights... or much of anything inside the coach. Even stuff that runs on 120vac shore power might not work because many items require 12vdc to power their control boards, etc.

I know of no indicator which would show the status of the battery disconnect switch. I usually do check by trying a light switch to see if the 12vdc is off.

Best of luck.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #3

A lable maker was one of my first purchases for my Southwind. I labeled most of the switches once I figured out what they all did.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #4

Rick O
I guess my disconnects are not working as I can work lights etc.... With batt switches off.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane nutty View Post
Rick O
I guess my disconnects are not working as I can work lights etc.... With batt switches off.
Hmmm.... Do you have lights with the switch off and NOT connected to shore power? I guess it could be a bad cut off switch or you might have a converter as well as an inverter and the converter could supply 12vdc from the shore power even with the 12v switch in the off position.

Do you know what brand and model inverter you have?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check in your battery compartment for the house batteries. Many times there is a disconnect switch much like on a boat. If none found it would be good to have one installed to keep from daring your house side of the cosch
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #7

Here's what I have. Not plugged in just sitting in front of my house. The two lights as seen on the control panel are always on regardless of anything I do. I push batt switches off but it has no affect (I think).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2021464483.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	523.9 KB
ID:	23535   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1570175348.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	476.1 KB
ID:	23536  

Old 07-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #8

Unless your coach was struck by lightning or something, it is highly unlikely that both disconnect solenoids are stuck closed. The lights indicate they are on. If it has always done this or the coach is new to you, they may have been wired incorrectly.

When plugged into shore, my converter supplies 12 volts, even if my battery disconnect switch is off. The generator won't start, but the lights and fridge work.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

In some coaches the battery disconnect is exactly that - it disconnects the battery. If the charging system is running (shore or generator power), that still supplies 12v to the house system. I didn't think that Fleetwood designed theirs that way, but maybe in your particular coach...

It's not that way in mine, though.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #10

Our coach has the same EMS panel as yours. Our disconnects only shut off if you press and hold both the House and the Chassis switches for a couple of seconds. You will then hear a "click" and both disconnects open. The 2 red leds under the switches will turn off when the disconnects open. We can turn on either separately after they are shut off. Hope this helps.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:50 AM   #11

Great news thanks I'll go to storage today and check
Old 07-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #12

Jlfbatonrj
Tried it today no dice...switch still doesn't respond to me. I'll get her figured out someday or maybe perhaps I'll just instal knife blade disconnects.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Toasted Relays?

Sounds like both of your battery disconnect relays may be bad. Or perhaps there is a blown fuse to the control side of the relays?

Mine turn off 'most' of the power. The power step still works, the power door lock still works. Not much else.

If I turn the key on the chassis batteries are automatically re-connected.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote