Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2015, 05:38 AM   #1

Odd odor from front defrost fan unit not dash AC ??

We have a 06 American Traditions with a mere 15000 miles and garage kept unit with Us being second owner, my problem is an odor from the defrost/ fan section of the chassis Ac, coming home yesterday I turned it on on the way home in hopes of moving a bit more AC instead of running generator and roof units as I was alone for the 60 miles and unit was well cooled when leaving and parking for two weeks o arrival home.
The smell is sort of like a brake smell from trucks down a mountain, I encountered this before but wasn't able to pin the source,but only when turning the defrost fan motor on,and no smell outside rig ,I had thought earlier it could have been Freon R134a as I had lost some but found the source of the leak at a switch fitting near the radiator , tightened it and recharged and dash ac works fine with it it's limits as I know it won't cool the rig but blows 42- 52 degree air after sitting 4 weeks.
Maybe someone else has had a like problem, no signs of mice or other critters, no leaks visible or coolant loss. Any suggestions gladly appreciated to cure this, as an X 40 year smoker I now have too good of a nose and find fuel or petroleum smells offensive now days. Thanks
hardint is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #2

I tried to look to see if you have a cabin filter for the dash but the manual does not off much on chassis and engine type maintenance.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardint View Post
We have a 06 American Traditions with a mere 15000 miles and garage kept unit with Us being second owner, my problem is an odor from the defrost/ fan section of the chassis Ac, coming home yesterday I turned it on on the way home in hopes of moving a bit more AC instead of running generator and roof units as I was alone for the 60 miles and unit was well cooled when leaving and parking for two weeks o arrival home.
The smell is sort of like a brake smell from trucks down a mountain, I encountered this before but wasn't able to pin the source,but only when turning the defrost fan motor on,and no smell outside rig ,I had thought earlier it could have been Freon R134a as I had lost some but found the source of the leak at a switch fitting near the radiator , tightened it and recharged and dash ac works fine with it it's limits as I know it won't cool the rig but blows 42- 52 degree air after sitting 4 weeks.
Maybe someone else has had a like problem, no signs of mice or other critters, no leaks visible or coolant loss. Any suggestions gladly appreciated to cure this, as an X 40 year smoker I now have too good of a nose and find fuel or petroleum smells offensive now days. Thanks

If it only when you use the defrost setting it would be unlikely that it is anything that is burning. More than likely the defrost setting hadn't been used very often as your rig has only 15k miles and is 10years old. that's not moving very much. I would think over the years a lot of dust and debris has dropped into the defrost diffuser outlets on the dash but hey if it smells of burning wiring then take a closer look.

Try this stuff or something similar.

1Z Einszett Klima-Cleaner Air Conditioner Treatment
Old 06-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, sorry to be so slow to respond been off the grid. As an electrician I know the wire/motor burn smell it it's not like that I swear it reminds me of hot brake or brake and rear end grease smell but not unless you turn the defrost fan which appears to draw from below the drivers seat next to floor. I see very little sign of dirt like you said it was not used nearly enough for it's age and sadly we can't use it hard for a while either.
I will look at the cleaner you posted, oddly enough the Dear Wife isn't offended by it but once I smell it I can't get rid of it, I assume the defrost section has a separate condenser than the dash AC so maybe it is a mold/ mildew problem.
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:34 AM   #5

You should have the same smell when you turn on dash air it's the same so what ever it is its in the AC coil box or around fresh air return for AC. Check for a coolant leak going to the heater core.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:41 AM   #6

Keep in mind that when you run your defroster you air conditioner compressor automatically kicks in thus you could be picking up a evaporator coil/pan odor.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:03 AM   #7

Thanks again . The product recommended above appears to be sold out but many youtube video's about using Lysol in the air intake with fan on high and scrubbing bubbles on the evaporator coil to kill the mold/bacteria, may start there as I have both at home and headed out Tuesday in the MH again, I will post my efforts and conclusions for others.I also have AC coil cleaner but never seen it used in automotive application but would think it would work /
Old 06-20-2015, 12:07 AM   #8

From camperkids post I bet there in lies the culprit, I and most likely the previous owner use the dash AC system but don't use the defrost blower section unless rainy weather insust and the day we bought and drove it home was one of those days and then it set Several weeks before use and the perfect breeding ground for the mold/bacteria. Sure hope it's this simple !!!
Old 06-22-2015, 05:47 AM   #9

Thanks for the reply, oddly enough I don/t get the smell till defrost fan is turned on and I can't see where that fan is only hear it under dash. Where is the air inlet I have searched the net and looked at the denso pdf of the unit but still working on something I know zero about, is there two or separate condenser's in the system for defrost and dash AC ???
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Tags
dash, fan, fleetwood, odor