Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2016, 05:14 PM   #29

An Old Friend

We purchased our first used motorhome a 1995 Winnebago Adventurer. I went over it pretty thoroughly, I thought. We took an old friend with us on the first real road trip from Iowa to Montanna. Now this guy had been all over the US in every kind of pull type, motorhome you could imagine. I thought it would be good to have his experience along for the first trip. We would drive all day, and then work on it at night. After the third day, I announced that we probably had everything that could possibly go wrong finally fixed.

He looked at me, drew a deep breath, and said in a very calm, reassuring voice, "Young man, in a motorhome, there are only 3 things you will do, all of the time. You will drive it, sleep in it, or work on it. Just pick one."

We have had several motorhomes over the years, and his advice was right on the money. If you are not fixing something, you will soon have a pile of junk that nothing works.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 05:44 PM   #30

When we were looking for our current class C we looked at new and used. Found a chassis and general floor plan in the size we wanted and searched from there. After six months of searching we wound up buying a good used one (six years old) from a dealer as all the new ones I saw in our price range were pretty cheaply made. We did well as we saved around $30,000 by buying used and have had absolutely no trouble with anything since we bought it. There are so many used ones available I don't think I would ever buy new and loose thousands the first time I drove it.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:00 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Angry New vs Old

On Dec 11, took keys to a 2016 Bounder 30th anniversary model, drove onto I-10 at Tucson,Az, and the brake light and brake warning hazard lights came on. Brake pedal nearly went to floor barely stopping the RV with 1,869 miles on it. Ford said a $600 brake module failed and they impounded the RV labeling it unsafe to drive. Upshot: Ford does not have a single brake module in the lower 48. Haven't been able to drive it an inch, and propane ran out since we can't drive to fill it. Want more? No heat to bedroom and rear bathroom, jacks lift front wheels 4 inches off the ground, kitchen sink leaked, dripped down to near inverter causing lights to flicker, outside radio needs replacement, headboard in bedroom coming off wall. Now if anyone thinks $107,000 will buy a "new" RV sans issues, I'd like to hear from Ya. I'm an unhappy camper....
wayno347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
wayno347,
That is awful! I would hate to have a new RV and that happen. You can call and have propane delivered. It will be a little highier priced but you can get it. If I were you and could not go anywhere, I would be sitting there drafting letters to Ford, Fleetwood and the dealership. How much help are you getting from thr dealership? Let us know what happens.
NC Camper
Old 01-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno347 View Post
On Dec 11, took keys to a 2016 Bounder 30th anniversary model, drove onto I-10 at Tucson,Az, and the brake light and brake warning hazard lights came on. Brake pedal nearly went to floor barely stopping the RV with 1,869 miles on it. Ford said a $600 brake module failed and they impounded the RV labeling it unsafe to drive. Upshot: Ford does not have a single brake module in the lower 48. Haven't been able to drive it an inch, and propane ran out since we can't drive to fill it. Want more? No heat to bedroom and rear bathroom, jacks lift front wheels 4 inches off the ground, kitchen sink leaked, dripped down to near inverter causing lights to flicker, outside radio needs replacement, headboard in bedroom coming off wall. Now if anyone thinks $107,000 will buy a "new" RV sans issues, I'd like to hear from Ya. I'm an unhappy camper....
If you were NOT unhappy, You would be a mental case. #1 as the other poster said call the LP companies and find one that will come in a LP truck to you. #2 The bath and rear bedroom is heated by the second furnace in most Bounders and Pace Arrows. Do you have the second furnace on? #3 If you are on a slope, the jacks will lift the front off the ground to level the coach. Are you on a slope. #4 the headboard should have been caught at checkout by the Tech. That is a fifteen minute repair job. #5 Call customer service at Ford and Fleetwood. Ask to talk to a supervisor. Keep calling until one or the other gets you help. Also call the dealer and see if they will help. Many times I removed parts off of new coaches to get a customer back on the road. If this is a part that is plummed into the brake line, they will not remove it. If it is a part that is electrical and just plugs in, our dealership would take it off a new unit. Tag the unit "out of service" and have it to you overnight.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
If you are still close to the selling dealer I would have them tow the RV back to their dealership and set me up there until they got it repaired. If not I would be getting them to pay my rental fees at the RV park. After I hung up the telephone with them they would be having breakfast delivered to me each morning and doing everything they could to make me happy. I would be dropping lines to them like, "I am sure we can get this settle between us without going the legal route". And "I know an attorney could probably handle this situation this better than me". You get the picture.

Anyway, good luck and keep us informed on how they take care of you and how this turns out.
NC Camper
Old 01-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 2016 Bounder update - Jan 3, 2016

Thanks to all for concerns and advice.
Regarding the propane issue: I have called two local propane dealers and both said "we don't fill RV tanks." The undriveable Bounder is located at an Air Force base here in Tucson and due to security concerns, allowing a propane truck (read that a potential bomb on wheels) is not an option. Even the supplier who fills the big propane tank on the base said they don't fill individual RVs so dead end there.
Have contacted Ford corporate twice, no response from them. Fleetwood customer service in Decatur, Ind., told me "they don't allow us to cannibilize chassis' so they can't/won't pull a module and send it out here. Besides, other RVers on this website are reporting 2016 Allegros built on the F-53 chassis with the new 6-speed tranny are having same brake module issues. As I suspected all along, these modules are apparently defective, and I expect Ford to put out a recall notice as some point. Local Ford dealer here in Tucson tells me "it could be a week or months before the module issue is resolved" which tells me Ford is looking for a fix. As far as the selling dealer, I will update La Mesa RV in person Monday. La Mesa keeps telling me "this is a Ford warranty issue, go see Ford." I can't sue them, but can only go to "arbitration." Most lemon laws state if customer is denied use of vehicle for more than 30 days, they have to take the RV back. Swapping for another 2016 Bounder is not an option, as they have the same brake module. I want Fleetwood to buy this lemon coach back and I'll call the Rving lifestyle goodbye, and go back home to South Dakota winter notwithstanding.....
wayno347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:45 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wayno,
Don't know who you have talked to at Fleetwood, but if you haven't talked to Steve Heim, I suggest talking to him. He is in charge of customer relations.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:46 PM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
..or buy a good used diesel pusher and live happily ever after.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:51 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno347 View Post
La Mesa keeps telling me "this is a Ford warranty issue, go see Ford." I can't sue them, but can only go to "arbitration." ...

First point, You purchased a Bounder, NOT a Ford. It just happens to be on a Ford Chassis. Your problem is with Bounder, NOT with Ford. Case in point, I purchased a 2006 F350 new. It came with Continental Contitrac tires. They were out of round causing the truck to jump around on the hiway. Ford says "talk to Continental, we can't do anything about it." I said "YOU chose the components to install in my vehicle, YOU cashed my check, NOT Continental. They replaced all 4 tires, then replaced two of them again. A FORD problem, NOT the maker of the part. If they went back to Continental, good on them, but either way, not my problem.

Second issue. Most of the "arbitration clauses" have been successfully tossed in court. Once you get a court date, the other side will file a motion requesting that the case be dismissed since you agreed to arbitration in the contract. I only personally know of two such cases, in both cases, the court agreed to hear the case, and tossed the arbitration clause. In one case, the person suing won, in the other, the person sued won, but the point is you DON'T have to go to arbitration.

Hope you get your issue resolved and it doesn't sour you totally toward RV's.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #39

NHSTA

1. While you are sitting around the motel or in your propane-less coach
go to this link https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ and fill out a complaint. In a way you have a duty to others to do so....not pushing just sayin.....
NHTSA actually reads these things. It is easy to do and not time consuming.

You have just learned something about LaMesa RV. Some dealers would take you under their wing and deal with this even if it was a "ford" problem. I am of the same mind as an earlier poster that with a brand new rig it is up to the dealer to help you out here.

I am a LaMesa customer and have no horrible complaints, but... their internet reviews are awful. Unfortunately this represents the state of the industry at many dealers. To be fair there are those out there that are honorable, but finding them can be a challenge.

CALL Ford Contact Us | Ford Motor Company Customer Service | Ford.com calling is better than emailing

Lastly I have had tremendous luck with big companies by going to their Facebook page and posting a serious complaint. I have gotten calls from Dell, Century Link and others within hours.
kmx888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
..or buy a good used diesel pusher and live happily ever after.
I am kind of curious about your response. To this point no one has complained about the powertrain in their unit. What makes the DP any better than a gas engine when the issues are with the systems within the coach itself? Or outside like the power awning.
Lynn
Old 01-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #41

Any resolution on this yet?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but need to tag this for followup also. Looking seriously at a 2016 Tiffin 32SA and want to ensure I'm not buying in to this problem. It was mentioned above that they, too, have this same issue on some models. Is there a manufacturer on this component that I could ask if it is on a unit I'm looking at?

Tags
motorhome