Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
On going problem

This has been an on going problem since I bought the MH back in Nov.

If I don't go start the rig up at least every 2 weeks, the battery will not start the engine and house battery will not either. EVERY time I leave the coach, I check everything at least twice and always make sure the power switches are in the off position. Today is the 3 time, I have had to jump it.

Have checked the water in all batteries and the house batteries were a little low so topped them off.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140718_120816_resized.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	68308  
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #2

Have you checked your compartment lights?
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Barry. Sorry you are having so much trouble. Your description sounds familiar. Two things come to mind: Your charger (But I guess you already checked it) and your B.I.R.D. relay. Many of our coaches have this problem child on board. It isolates your battery banks and is the relay used as the AUX start. It can be functioning mechanically but have bad contacts. See if you can find this in your wiring diagram. They usually cost about $35 and replacement is from easy to gut wrenching, depending on your coach build.

I hope this helps.

Rick Y
Old 07-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #4

I take it you are not plugging it in 2 weeks is just about right for dead batteries. Do you have a main battery disconnect?
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Do you have a main battery disconnect?
The above pictures I thought was the battery disconnects.

Quote:
Your charger (But I guess you already checked it) and your B.I.R.D. relay. Many of our coaches have this problem child on board.
Charger? Sorry, don't know what the B.I.R.D. is?
Old 07-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryN514 View Post
The above pictures I thought was the battery disconnects.

Charger? Sorry, don't know what the B.I.R.D. is?
You do have an inverter? Most of them charge the batteries too - both house and start. The relay is used by Winnebago to select the bank to be charged. This is done automatically by the way the relay senses the bank voltages. It may not be called a B.I.R.D but that is what the industry calls the devise. You need your wiring diagram to see if you have or have not this devise. Also, do you have a Fleetwood hotline to call? That would be a good way to go.

The post about the basement lights is a valid one to follow up on. But, both banks going down tells me something else is a problem. Two weeks for the start batteries to fade is not good. Either you have some unknown devise turned on, one on each battery bank, or you have a serious equipment failure.

We all look forward to hearing of your resolve.

Rick Y
Old 07-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. I will check to see if I have the wiring diagram and will call FW this next week.

Quote:
Have you checked your compartment lights?
No I haven't but have checked other things and when I switch the battery disconnect, everything went off.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryN514 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I will check to see if I have the wiring diagram and will call FW this next week.

No I haven't but have checked other things and when I switch the battery disconnect, everything went off.
That is good about the battery disconnect sw. At least that relay is working.

Keep us posted. We all love a good mystery to be solved.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Have you had the batteries tested. They may be old enough to be getting weak.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #10

Barry, On most RV's the co/lp detectors are fused straight from the batteries ( always on) there are other parasitic draws that can be problems as well. Dirty batteries will go dead as well. Also if there is a battery minder for the chassis batteries and is connected but not plugged in it will discharge the batteries. That disconnect switch in the coach has to get power from somewhere to turn off and on the power so the batteries are never disconnected are they? the only true disconnect will involve installing a manual switch at the batteries or disconnecting the battery cables. If your coach has a RV fridge it is probably fused around the disconnect as well
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I feel your pain as our new 5er has been plagued with that since theday we took it home.
Seems like some genius thought it was a good idea to leave some things always live on our particular brand.
The battery disconnects do not disconnect. Us and others with my brand have that issue
Hope your mfg didn't hire the same bright person :-)
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #12

A 2013 , I would hope your not looking at a bad battery , but it is possible; particularly after multiple discharges, start batteries don't like that.
Questions.
After you get the coach started, how log do you run it to charge the batteries? Fully discharged , particularly if both banks are low could take 6>8 hours of driving time for a full charge.
You say the coach won't start even with the aux/emergency start switch.
Have you tested the coach batteries when this happens?
Could be the switch and relay are only powered from the chassis battery, in that case they won't activate.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #13

All the newer truck chassis have the same problem so the MH chassis probably do too. There are enough monitoring and computer loads on the system to bleed a battery down over a few weeks. Leaving a GPS or anything similar plugged in exacerbates the problem. Best bet is a battery minder/float charger type setup that keeps the chassis battery topped off.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Barry, do you have an inverter on your Bounder? Seems like I read someplace that the inverter causes a parasitic draw even when not operating, though I don't know if that's the case. We turn our inverter off when in storage--we don't leave the RV plugged in and there's no "inverting" going on.

We have a 2012 model and we have never had our batteries draw down when the mains are cut off, even after months in storage.