Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #1

onan 5000 generater starter problem

I was trying to start the Gas generator when it was 18 deg, ran the batt down., Next day 43 deg charged batt and tried to start and the starter just runs without engaging?
pburkey1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:33 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Diesel or gas? If it diesel hold the start button down to preheat the glow plug before starting. If gas, check your owners manual for cold weather starting.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #3

onan genset start problem

Its a gas gen
Old 02-19-2014, 06:46 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you say the starter runs without engaging, do you mean it makes a high pitched whine and the generator motor is not turning over? (That is what the phrase means to me).. Or that the generator is not starting.

Makes a big difference.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
make sure battery is fully charged. It may be still low enough to not engage drive gear.

Mike
Old 02-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #6

Yes it wines, the starter run or should I say turns at a high rate of speed, the batts are fully charged, but the day before as I stated it was 18 degs outside and was trying to start it. it was working properly, the gen would start but run for a short time about five sec, then stall. I assume it was due to the oil being to thick from the cold. as I repeated the procedure I drained the batt and possibly ran the starter to long. now it just wines and does not engage., If the starter needs replacement does anyone know what or how to do it, I am on fixed income and am a disabled combat vet so I have to do this myself.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburkey1961 View Post
Yes it wines, the starter run or should I say turns at a high rate of speed, the batts are fully charged, but the day before as I stated it was 18 degs outside and was trying to start it. it was working properly, the gen would start but run for a short time about five sec, then stall. I assume it was due to the oil being to thick from the cold. as I repeated the procedure I drained the batt and possibly ran the starter to long. now it just wines and does not engage., If the starter needs replacement does anyone know what or how to do it, I am on fixed income and am a disabled combat vet so I have to do this myself.
You can get one from Amazon for $40.40 be aware it is Made in China. Search ONAN Generator.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:09 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can download Onan Generator manuals from the internet for free. Google Onan with your model #.

Have you checked to see if it is getting fuel? It might be that the filter is clogged up or a fuel line has cracked. You could also have a frozen fuel line due to moisture accumulation.

There is also a summer/winter setting on some of the Onan generators so make sure you have that in the right position.

Another thing to check is the altitude setting.

Good Luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #9

genset starter

sounds like the starter gear is not engageing or stripped. on my 7000 i changed my starter it can be done without removal from compartment on my 94 bounder its very tight but can be done. remove battery terminal first. good luck.
1skatingrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #10

I just changed out the starter on my 5500 last month, and yes, the starter gear was shattered.

I replaced it by laying on my back under the unit, and with trial and error, was able to get the job done, and replaced it with one of those cheap units.

I have since obtained (ebay) new parts kit for the old motor which runs fine, and will replace the cheap unit when it goes out in about a year I figure. But this time is will probably only take me less than an hour to do the job.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
I just changed out the starter on my 5500 last month, and yes, the starter gear was shattered.

I replaced it by laying on my back under the unit, and with trial and error, was able to get the job done, and replaced it with one of those cheap units.

I have since obtained (ebay) new parts kit for the old motor which runs fine, and will replace the cheap unit when it goes out in about a year I figure. But this time is will probably only take me less than an hour to do the job.

Ed
The motor sounds strong
it just wont engage, are you saying it can be rebuilt? and if so how do I go about looking for it on the web, I'm kinda new at this .
Old 02-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok Starters work one of two ways and I am not about to crawl under my rig today to look at my Onan's starter.

Years ago I had a car that had a centrifical device on the starter, basically the starter motor shaft had a worm gear end. The "Bendix" gear (The gear that engages the engine) had a heavy collar, when the motor first started it would "Worm" the gear down the shaft so it engaged the flywheel.. I have not seen another like that in a long time. That was a Ford Product, and Well. I've not looked at modern small engine fords.. Big engine fords yes, they use the other system.

The other system is a pre-engagement system. This type of starter has a solenoid on it or a bulge in the cover.. I have seen both types.

GM uses the solenoid type, the starter solenoid is atop the starter (or on it's side or below it) and not only is it an electrical switch, but it pulls the "Bendix" gear onto the ring gear on the engine just before it engages the starter motor.

The other one I saw the motor had a movable section of the field (Strator) and when it engaged this was pulled in by the magnetic forces, as it was pulled in it moved the "Bendix" to engage the ring gear.

I rebuilt that sucker every couple of months till I replaced the ring gear, took me 15 minutes from OH-Q@@@ to Varoom standing on the side of the road. Carried a spare Starter Drive Gear (Bendix) with me.

Tags
onan