Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #281

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Tried to start the generator today for its monthly exercise. Battery was very weak. Generator would not start. A couple of tries and the battery gave up.

Yes, the generator has its own dedicated battery separate from the house and chassis batteries. Evidently this was not uncommon in the 1990's vintage coaches.

When I acquired the coach last spring I had to add a lot of water to the battery. It seems that battery maintenance was not a priority. It has been working ok every month until today. Evidently the summer heat may have finally secured its demise. Yes, it is in the 80's today.

The battery has a 2003 installation date. It is a Nationwide 24DC-140 Lead Acid battery. The label says it is a "Marine/RV Deep Cycle' with 650 Cold Cranking Amps @ Zero degrees F, and a "Reserve Capacity" of 140.

I would like to replace it with a maintenance free battery.

What should I consider? AGM? Sealed Lead Acid?

Why did someone use a "Marine/RV Deep Cycle" battery?
15 yrs isn't too bad -- I'd put the same battery back in there !
Mine has been in there 7 yrs and still spin's it over and charges fine .
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 06:02 PM   #282
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
15 yrs isn't too bad -- I'd put the same battery back in there !
Mine has been in there 7 yrs and still spin's it over and charges fine .
My mistake.

The punched year on the label only includes the last digit. So, it might be 2003. Or, it might be 2013. PO owned it for about 6 years. So, he might have put it in and "forgot" to check the water. For example, the 4 coach batteries took about 1.5 gallons of distilled water when I serviced them a few months back. He said they were new when he bought the coach. I am guessing they had not been properly serviced either.

FWIW, I have never had to add that much distilled water to any battery.

The reason to change type of batteries is that the battery needs to be removed from the coach just to check the water level. That is not something that I want to continue doing. The possible higher cost for a maintenance free battery is a minor concern compared to removing the battery every month.

I am just not sure what type to get for a replacement.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
My mistake.

The punched year on the label only includes the last digit. So, it might be 2003. Or, it might be 2013. PO owned it for about 6 years. So, he might have put it in and "forgot" to check the water. For example, the 4 coach batteries took about 1.5 gallons of distilled water when I serviced them a few months back. He said they were new when he bought the coach. I am guessing they had not been properly serviced either.

FWIW, I have never had to add that much distilled water to any battery.

The reason to change type of batteries is that the battery needs to be removed from the coach just to check the water level. That is not something that I want to continue doing. The possible higher cost for a maintenance free battery is a minor concern compared to removing the battery every month.

I am just not sure what type to get for a replacement.

I'll look at mine in the am and let you know on the Genny battery That I have !
Old 10-14-2018, 06:44 PM   #284

Gulf Streamers Club
You can still use the less expensive lead acid wet cell battery systems and use something like the Pro-Fil watering system and come out cheaper. I have used that on my Gulfstream house batteries that are impossible to fill or check water on.

ronspradley

'
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #285

A few random thoughts....
Why can't you just use a same size automotive battery with same CCA? A standard maintenance free battery in your car last a long time...

....is there a main 12V battery supply somewhere at front of coach that a 1/0 cable can be added to charge the genset battery while it's plugged in shore power or while driving?

....how about a small battery tender that's hard mounted near the battery and plugged in coach 120v system, I keep a 1.5 amp tender on my AGM battery in my Harley...

Just things to kick around, but I maybe over complicate it
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:13 AM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
A few random thoughts....
Why can't you just use a same size automotive battery with same CCA? A standard maintenance free battery in your car last a long time...

....is there a main 12V battery supply somewhere at front of coach that a 1/0 cable can be added to charge the genset battery while it's plugged in shore power or while driving?

....how about a small battery tender that's hard mounted near the battery and plugged in coach 120v system, I keep a 1.5 amp tender on my AGM battery in my Harley...

Just things to kick around, but I maybe over complicate it
I did just that -- Wired a 20 amp fuse to a remote switch under my dash -- so when I'm plugged into shore power the Battery is charging all the time @ 13.1 volts/
Old 10-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #287

My Genny Battery appears to be a STD Group 24 !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Genny Battery.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	222750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Genny Battery 1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	222751  

Old 10-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #288
cwk

Spartan Chassis
I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions.

Quote:
My Genny Battery appears to be a STD Group 24 !
Thank you.

That looks like a perfect solution. Sealed Lead Acid = Never Add Water. Less expensive than AGM, which was probably overkill. The only maintenance I foresee is physically inspecting the battery for road damage or terminal corrosion. The proper "red spray" should prevent/curtail the corrosion.

Quote:
I did just that -- Wired a 20 amp fuse to a remote switch under my dash -- so when I'm plugged into shore power the Battery is charging all the time @ 13.1 volts/
Where did you find a 12V source up front?

I don't want to overload any circuits.

Why the switch? Do you ever turn the switch OFF?
Old 10-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #289

Where did you find a 12V source up front? I tapped into the Circuit Breaker Panel on the firewall - I'd have to look exactly where I tapped in.

I don't want to overload any circuits.

Why the switch? Do you ever turn the switch OFF? I only use it when Coach is parked and plugged in - long term-- Keeps the Battery in Good state of charge.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #290
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Here is the front fuse/circuit breaker panel for The Eagle.

I wonder if I can find a circuit that is ON when shore power is active, but not otherwise. I doubt it. Maybe some trial and error switching power sources on and off will tell me. That way I could possibly remove the need for a switch. I could never "forget" to turn it off when I disconnect from shore power, then turn it back on when reconnected.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #291

My box is different than yours- Try the lower left side. I have several Breakers that are unused for some reason. See Red Wire to inline fuse to my Sw to Battery +.. I tested this and it doesn't matter if it's on all the time or not- I just want the Battery on charge when Coach is plugged in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Breaker box.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	222779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Breaker box 1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	222780  

Name:	25 amp Fuse .jpg
Views:	64
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	222781  
Old 10-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #292
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
My box is different than yours- Try the lower left side. I have several Breakers that are unused for some reason. See Red Wire to inline fuse to my Sw to Battery +.. I tested this and it doesn't matter if it's on all the time or not- I just want the Battery on charge when Coach is plugged in.
Thanks, Chuck. I now have a pretty good idea where to start looking for a 12V supply to charge the genny battery. I will also need to find a convenient place to locate a switch. I am thinking that a 12VDC switch rate for the same or higher amperage than the circuit breaker will work fine.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #293

As memory serves me I used a 25 amp rated toggle switch and mounted it under the dash just above the Gas Pedal area- next to my anti theft kill switch.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:43 AM   #294
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Generator Battery update

I found a battery distributor that sells to the public in the major city near us. I added a side trip onto another errand yesterday and visited them to buy a new battery.

It is a group 24, sealed wet battery. It is not AGM, but requires no water checks. It actually says it is a Marine Battery. I described its role in the coach and the tech selected this one. Its sole function is as a starting battery which made the decision easy. Cost was about $92, plus tax.

This morning I removed the old battery, cleaned up the cable ends, installed the new battery and fired up the genny. It cranked over quickly, but did not start. Then I remembered I needed to use the preheater for about 10 seconds.

After a quick preheat, it started on the second try. It seems that it always takes more than one try. Maybe I did not preheat it enough? Anyway, the genny is now running for its monthly exercise. Two minutes of warm up. About an hour of running with both A/C units on MAX, then two minutes of cool down before turning off.

The tech and I discussed having a constant 12V source from the house system to keep the battery charged. He recommended against it. His suggestion was, IF the coach was not in regular usage, meaning it was setting for months at a time, was to use a small charger once every month or two for one overnight session. He also cautioned NOT to connect the little charger just after exercising the generator. He wanted the battery charge to settle down after being charged by the genny alternator while running.

He did say that there are chargers that can be used and left on. The difference is the voltage level being provided to the battery. A charger evidently has a lot more "smarts" in it than simply connecting a 12V lead.

On the other hand, I am thinking that the house batteries are being charged by a "smart" charger. And, the genny battery should simply benefit from being in parallel with the house batteries. Or, so I would think.

He said following the above steps would most likely keep the battery alive for many years, even though it is only a 3-year battery. His knowledge of the internal workings (plates, chemistry, charging characteristics, etc.) of batteries was quite extensive. I already own a couple of small chargers. So, I will most likely be following his advice on this battery.

We also discussed AGM batteries to replace the house batteries. But, that will be at a later date. I want to get the coach on the road and in real usage before I consider replacing the existing house batteries. I will most likely be back to visit him again when the time comes.

Thanks for all of the responses.