Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #85

American Coach Owners Club
>>https://www.tstproducts.com/tstpower...houtvideo.aspx
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #86
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardream View Post
where did you get the 450hp from, I thought all the cummins 8.3 came with 300hp
My 8.3 from the factory is 325

Cummins 6CTA, Ref # 53-34874-004 engine # 45358278, model C8.3-325

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #87
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Increasing HP of the 6CTA8.3 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Chuck, That means you installed the #05 Plate?

What transmission do you have? Mine has an Allison MT643 4-speed automatic. I am concerned about overpowering and harming the transmission. Is that an issue for mine?
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #88

Yes I installed the # 5 Plate kit !
I have the MD 3060 and I called Allison Engineers to confirm that it could handle the additional torque.
Your Allison MT643 4-speed automatic Will Not handle the additional torque, But if your interested call Allison just to confirm.
If you don't tow a 10,000 lb Enclosed Trailer I wouldn't worry about upping the power.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #89

Mines a 1999 year, 8.3 ISC @ 350 from factory.
I ain't towing some of the stuff you guys are, but I've got no power complaint
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #90

Spartan Chassis
I wonder what the difference is between the 97 and 98 mechanical 8.3 engines?

I saw tstproducts doesn't offer a plate for the 98's. Must be a different setup.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:01 PM   #91

Thumbs up travel truck

CWK---Hope this finds you? You may be interest in project,1992 pretty well the same coach,you will find me way back on page 90.I to have been on Isspro trip,one thing I would like to mention are the front axel brake chambers.The coaches come with #16,Ichanged mine to #20 a nice change to brake performance.I have been just about in all the systems,if I can help-----TKS
Travel Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #92
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Keith (Travel_Truck),

Thanks for the offer of help if I need it. I found your 2015 thread on your coach. That was some pretty ambitious work: engine in and out twice, replacing rubber roof with fiberglass, etc. Wow.

I have a lot of maintenance to get mine up to basic operating level. I have only had my coach for less than a month. Thanks for the heads-up on the brakes. I am not sure what that means yet, but I am willing to learn. My mechanical background is with gasoline-powered vehicles (back in the 70's). This is my first diesel and my first with air brakes and suspension. My goal is to learn as much as possible so I can perform the work as well as understand how to best operate my coach.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoxlr8 View Post
I wonder what the difference is between the 97 and 98 mechanical 8.3 engines?

I saw tstproducts doesn't offer a plate for the 98's. Must be a different setup.
Something with the later P 7100 Pump being non compatible with changing the Fuel Plate.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Truck View Post
CWK---Hope this finds you? You may be interest in project,1992 pretty well the same coach,you will find me way back on page 90.I to have been on Isspro trip,one thing I would like to mention are the front axel brake chambers.The coaches come with #16,Ichanged mine to #20 a nice change to brake performance.I have been just about in all the systems,if I can help-----TKS
Haven't seen you on here in a long long time ! Welcome back !!
Old 03-22-2018, 04:52 AM   #95

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Charles,
The numbers that Keith is talking about is the size of the brake chamber on the front axle. The larger diameter of the #20 will but more pressure on the front brake shoes.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:06 AM   #96

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Something with the later P 7100 Pump being non compatible with changing the Fuel Plate.
Darn, I'd like to turn mine up a bit. Does pretty good most of the time, but man on some of those big grades it can struggle.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:15 AM   #97
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Charles,
The numbers that Keith is talking about is the size of the brake chamber on the front axle. The larger diameter of the #20 will but more pressure on the front brake shoes.
Frank
Thanks! I did some google searching last night and found photos of the different types (#12, #16, #20, #30, etc.) of brake chambers. Your explanation helps me make sense of what I saw.

My first thought of putting more pressure on the front brake shoes was what would happen if one applied the front brakes of a bicycle more than the back brakes. One might flip end over end. But, that's not too likely with a DP!

I usually defer to the way the original engineers designed things, a.k.a., leave things "stock." Why would i want to change the braking system?

Speaking of brakes, I have found the Pacbrake (exhaust brake) on this engine. I did not know where it was on the ride home. PO said he never used it. In fact, when he did use it once it stuck and essentially disabled the coach. He did not know what it was until someone else looked at the engine and tapped it with a hammer to open it back up. I believe it has been cleaned and/or replaced since. I have tried it while fast-idling, and it seems to work ok.

The Pacbrake manual says something about using it for braking in most situations instead of the service brakes. From the Pacbrake manual: "Ideally, you should only use your service brake to come to a complete stop, or for emergencies."

Is this the way most of you use the braking systems?
Old 03-22-2018, 05:30 AM   #98

Good morning all! Hi CWK!

I use my pac brake often. It is on when I drive the interstates, and I only turn it off in slow city driving as it seems coasting comes into play a lot,,,, and on my coach if you lift off the acelerator, the brake activates. It is very affective, will stop you pretty quick when your going 30 mph.

I wonder about larger brake chambers on the front axle. Unless you have anti-lock brakes, too much front brake is a bad thing. Locking front wheels can ruin your day. Rainey day emergency stop comes to mind. Rear brakes,,,,, with all that rear weight, and traction of 4 tires,,,, might be better and useful. Proportional braking is an important factor.

L.
L.