Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Outdoor fridge/freezer for 99 American Dream?!

My '99 Fleetwood American Dream was supposed to have this option in one basement compartment just ahead of the passenger rear wheel. Someone had robbed it out of there before I bought the coach. All that's left is the slide-out it was on. Does anyone know what these were supposed to have? Or even what a good quality one to get would be?
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
My '98 Eagle has a Norcold frig/freezer combination that runs off 12v or 120v. We have found it very handy to have for our uses but if I remember when I first checked when buying the MH it is a pretty expensive unit.
When the Eagle came in at the dealer we checked it out as soon as the previous owner had moved his stuff (actually watched them finish moving out). When we checked out the bays the salesman's comment was "wow most people take these things out before they trade-in".
gacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought one of these to try out and carry in the basement in place of the "Robbed" cooler. I had some Canadian Tire Credit so it ended up costing me about $150.00 I was sceptical because they say it will cool 20-25 below ambient. I have it running on 110v and it actually froze an ice cube tray of water. Never tried it on 12v or propane yet. I am thinking of using this more for drinks, etc. for outdoors instead of cluttering the indoor fridge and having to go in and out. How many others have something similar? Any feedback?
Mobicool 3-way Absorption Power Cooler, 42-qt | Canadian Tire
Old 05-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One problem now I've found is the unit gives off a lot of heat(naturally).
So when I opened the basement compartment it was hot inside like a firecracker. How are the basement units supposed to operate in the basement compartment and yet have sufficient cooling to ambient?? Once set up at camp I had to leave the basement door open the whole time. When we got home I backed the coach into the shop but I forgot about the basement fridge. When I came to the shop in the morning and remembered to open it up.......................It was as hot as an oven inside. Seems like a fire hazard.
What do others do about basement fridges?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
My '99 Fleetwood American Dream was supposed to have this option in one basement compartment just ahead of the passenger rear wheel. Someone had robbed it out of there before I bought the coach. All that's left is the slide-out it was on. Does anyone know what these were supposed to have? Or even what a good quality one to get would be?
We bought a Haier at Costco for $150. It weighs about 35 lbs. Runs on AC only, but we only need it when we are at full hook ups. We put our fish in it plus, steaks, weiners, icecream etc. It really comes in handy. When we leave, we empty it and put everthing in sacks to make it lighter to put away. Then put everthing back in it. It keeps everything frozen for about 24 hours especially if you put a couple bags of ice in it. It won't quite fit in any of our compartments, so we toat it around in the boat we pull. But, I know a lot of MH's that have big enough compartments that it would fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5271.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	39257  
Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

Our Providence came with a GE in the outdoor kitchen option. It works great, although it isn't as large as some others. It does freeze ice though.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are two that are common, one Dometic and the other is Norcold. Both are compressor units. Ours is a Dometic and is on slides that aren't quite long enough to bring it out from under the slideout. A very useful option BTW. They are somewhere close to $1,000 unless you can find a sale, then about $800.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
There are two that are common, one Dometic and the other is Norcold. Both are compressor units. Ours is a Dometic and is on slides that aren't quite long enough to bring it out from under the slideout. A very useful option BTW. They are somewhere close to $1,000 unless you can find a sale, then about $800.
The question is......Can you keep your unit closed up in the basement when it's operating or does the compartment get too hot? Even with a compressor it should give off heat. The compartment has no ventilation of any kind but originally had a refer. in the bay from factory.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
My bay is almost always closed when the Norcold is in use and I have never noticed any substantial heat build-up even in Florida summers.
gacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
The question is......Can you keep your unit closed up in the basement when it's operating or does the compartment get too hot? Even with a compressor it should give off heat. The compartment has no ventilation of any kind but originally had a refer. in the bay from factory.
Well, that wasn't what was originally asked but:

Ours is closed unless I open the bay to get something out. The refer/freezer has been running 24/7/365 basically since we got the rig in June 2002. Treated it the same even when in AZ in 100° weather.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #11

Quote:

Ours is closed unless I open the bay to get something out. The refer/freezer has been running 24/7/365 basically since we got the rig in June 2002. Treated it the same even when in AZ in 100° weather.
X2, I have two Dometic 1.? Cu in units in my rig. Had to go with the two smaller ones due to the height. With the full slide out, my limit is 16" and the 3+ cu ft unit was close to 20".
To the point, I use one as a freezer and the other as a refer. Had them on continuos for 8 months and they operated flawlessly. After a little mod to my slide, both units open for full access with the slide open. Very happy with them. I have one for the important stuff like beer and a freezer for the rest of the stuff like food!!!!!,
Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

So is your basement compartment vented or sealed up? Maybe I need to get a better unit, What model is your Dometic?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #13

My Outdoor kitchen option is on sliders and occupies three bays. Because the GE fridge is in such a large area it does fine w/o a vent, even here in Florida. It is only a 110 volt unit...but either the generator or the inverter runs it when not at a campground.