Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #1

Pace arrow roof bulge

Hi

My fist post here, but not my first experience with the great outdoors.
I just bought a 2000 Pace Arrow Vision. Upon initial inspection the roof looked good. Needs recoated in a couple of places and needs the caulking replaced. No problem

But now I see an area between the shower skylight and one of the small round vents that has raised up very slightly, feels a bit spongy and if I push, feels like there is a hole in the aluminum underneath.

Any ideas?

Thanks

David
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
David, Welcome

could be water leak from shower skylight or any other roof penetration like the vents,etc. When you say its spongy, do you mean the structure of the roof or the rubber bubble? Inspect your shower dome and see if you have cracks, also consider resealing all the way around the dome and other items on the roof. You can use EPDM tape and lap sealant.
Take some pictures and post, there are a whole bunch of friendly, helpful folks here that may have already had this same problem. Pictures help a lot.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
David, Welcome

could be water leak from shower skylight or any other roof penetration like the vents,etc. When you say its spongy, do you mean the structure of the roof or the rubber bubble? Inspect your shower dome and see if you have cracks, also consider resealing all the way around the dome and other items on the roof. You can use EPDM tape and lap sealant.
Take some pictures and post, there are a whole bunch of friendly, helpful folks here that may have already had this same problem. Pictures help a lot.
Tried to take a photo but it won't work. The bulge is small & gentle and just doesn't show. It seems that water has got in at one of the small roof vents and wet the plywood roof. This caused the top ply to twist a bit. I re-cauled the vent and shower dome, so I hope it's cured.

David
Old 04-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #4

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When you say you recaulked the vent did you use Dicor lap sealant or just silicone? If just silicone I would get a plastic scraper and remove the silicone and get the EPDM tape or Lap sealant made for EPDM roofs. I Haven't experienced the gloom and doom that some folks talk about silicone but I figure if they had issues then might as well use the product made for our type roofs.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
When you say you recaulked the vent did you use Dicor lap sealant or just silicone? If just silicone I would get a plastic scraper and remove the silicone and get the EPDM tape or Lap sealant made for EPDM roofs. I Haven't experienced the gloom and doom that some folks talk about silicone but I figure if they had issues then might as well use the product made for our type roofs.
I used the Dicor. I always figure that it's worth spending a little more money to do a job properly. I also find the Dicor goes on easier than the silicone....maybe that's just me.

Sometime this year I want to remove all the old caulking and do a nice fresh caulk. Caulking looks like it has been patched a couple of times. RV spent it's first 11 years in Florida and looks like it was never in the shade. I also need to white coat the roof (darn that stuff is expensive).

Should I recoat before or after I caulk?

Thanks

David
Old 04-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Haven't done it yet, but I've always seen after...

I need to redo my roof too.. looks like the last 2-3 owners just slapped goop on.. all different kinds.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I own a 99 pace with a new roof. (darn pine trees) The underlayment is not plywood it is luan. The cheapist crap in the world. To give fleetwood a break, it is much lighter than plywood and that is why they use it. It is a possibility, that you have a weak piece of luan, and not a leak. Check your ceiling. If their is no water stains on the ceiling, You may just have a bad piece of luan. If that is the case, just stay off the area.
ga traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I own a 99 pace with a new roof. (darn pine trees) The underlayment is not plywood it is luan. The cheapist crap in the world. To give fleetwood a break, it is much lighter than plywood and that is why they use it. It is a possibility, that you have a weak piece of luan, and not a leak. Check your ceiling. If their is no water stains on the ceiling, You may just have a bad piece of luan. If that is the case, just stay off the area.
Don't see any stains.

Thanks for the info.

David