Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #1

Popping 20 amp GFCI

So I brought the new coach home and it pops the gfci. I thought it might be the porch plug because there was a longer extension cord. so I installed a dedicated 20 amp with only one outlet but it pops that one too.

I change the power management to 20 or 15 amp and neither help. It doesn't happen right away and I have not been able to isolate what does it. Only thing running is the refrigerator ... And I assume the charger.

I turned off circuits in the rv for the AC, microwave, engine heater, etc.

What could I be missing?

I have a 2015 discovery 40g. Has the Magnum inverter/charger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1476630214342.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	141670  
trs80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #2

And the water heater is off .. Both gas and electric
Old 10-16-2016, 09:27 AM   #3

Plug it into a non GFI outlet. There are several long explanations why GFCI's do not work with shore cords. If you want to dig you can find them. It comes down to normal internal current paths in RV exceed what is acceptable for a power tool or other device expected to be plugged into a house branch circuit. That is why the RV's have their own GFI's.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trs80 View Post
So I brought the new coach home and it pops the gfci. I thought it might be the porch plug because there was a longer extension cord. so I installed a dedicated 20 amp with only one outlet but it pops that one too.
I change the power management to 20 or 15 amp and neither help. It doesn't happen right away and I have not been able to isolate what does it. Only thing running is the refrigerator ... And I assume the charger.
I turned off circuits in the rv for the AC, microwave, engine heater, etc.
What could I be missing?
I have a 2015 discovery 40g. Has the Magnum inverter/charger
trs80
Where is the 20A GFCI that's popping?
Is it in your coach?
Or is it the GFCI receptacle into which you are plugging an extension cord that's popping?

I store my coach powered via a 50' 12/3 extension cord plugged into a 20A NON-GFCI receptacle, (have for 15 Wisconsin winters).

You may find you have to replace your GFCI receptacle with an ordinary NON-GFCI receptacle.... (as I did 15 years ago).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #5

It is the receptacle in the garage. ...I may in fact need to do that. ... My assumption is that at some point it tries to pull more than 20 amps causing it to pop ...true?
Old 10-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
It is the receptacle in the garage. ...I may in fact need to do that. ... My assumption is that at some point it tries to pull more than 20 amps causing it to pop ...true?
If the receptacle is the type I think it is, where it has two outlets and a test and reset button between them in a standard outlet format, and that is what keeps tripping, I believe you may be looking in the wrong place.

First off, while I do know some of these topics, I am not an electrician, and do not pretend to be. I do work as an electromechanical engineer however.

That trip on the GFDI is because that outlet perceives current on the ground line, not because of over current draw. So, if the GFDI trips at the outlet, it does not indicate that you are drawing more than 20 amps. (as you said that was your circuit). If you did draw more than 20 amps, the circuit breaker in your service panel should trip.

It is reasonable and possible that some of the power conversions in the coach are allowing a bit of bleed or noise onto the ground line of that GFDI causing it to trip...

So, as I see it, you can replace the receptacle with a non GFDI type, and see if it trips. If not, and it is still hooked up to a 20 amp circuit breaker in the service panel, and it does not trip, then you are safe in that it was not pulling more than the 20 amps.

If any more knowledgeable electricians out there want to correct anything I said here, feel welcome. I believe I am correct, but if not, I want to learn more.

Good luck.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #7

If you disconnect the motorhome end does the circuit still pop? Could be a fault in the 12 awg extension cord.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:56 AM   #8

GFCI receptacals are not current sensing devices like a circuit breaker.
They don't blow due to amprage overload.

Like mentioned above, they sense a fault to ground. The idea is that they fault may be traveling thru your body, so they trip before that fault kills you.

Many RVs trip the GFCIs. You could hunt down the fault, often the fridge or ice maker, or change out the receptcal.

Just remember that if your weed wacking, trimming the hedges or using any electric tool outside, don't use that outlet.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:19 AM   #9

Ahh yes .. Got so focused on the amperage I lost site of that not being the issue.

I will test the cord, hopefully that is it because my storage place has gfci as well.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #10

Quote:
trs80
How many amps your coach is, or is not, using has nothing to do with the tripping of a GFCI receptacle.

GFCI receptacles only trip if/when they sense a difference in the amount of electricity flowing into a circuit compared to the amount of electricity flowing out.
The GFCI reacts quickly (less than one-tenth of a second) to trip or shut off the circuit.
How GFCIs Work
Old 10-16-2016, 08:15 PM   #11

I have a 20-amp GFI house circuit with two double-socket receptacles. One has the set and reset buttons and the other receptacle looks like a standard one. Both are controlled by the GFI receptacle. For years I have plugged a heavy outdoor extension cord (50 feet) into the second receptacle, and plugged my RV into it using 50-30 and 30-15 dogbones. It was worked reliably with the current RV and an earlier unit. Now it trips, but not always. I bought a new heavy duty extension cord and a new 30-15 dogbone, but it still trips with nothing running in the coach except the inverter/converter/charger. I tried the RV on a GFI at my RV service place and it did not trip their GFI. I have not yet tried further diagnosis. I am thinking of having an electrician install a 30-amp outlet next to the coach. But, I am worried it may not fix the problem. Are 30-amp outlets GFI?

2009 Fleetwood Southwind
Celerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celerator View Post
I have a 20-amp GFI house circuit with two double-socket receptacles. One has the set and reset buttons and the other receptacle looks like a standard one. Both are controlled by the GFI receptacle. For years I have plugged a heavy outdoor extension cord (50 feet) into the second receptacle, and plugged my RV into it using 50-30 and 30-15 dogbones. It was worked reliably with the current RV and an earlier unit. Now it trips, but not always. I bought a new heavy duty extension cord and a new 30-15 dogbone, but it still trips with nothing running in the coach except the inverter/converter/charger. I tried the RV on a GFI at my RV service place and it did not trip their GFI. I have not yet tried further diagnosis. I am thinking of having an electrician install a 30-amp outlet next to the coach. But, I am worried it may not fix the problem. Are 30-amp outlets GFI?

2009 Fleetwood Southwind
No GFCI needed on 30 amp RV receptcal, unless you specifie that one is installed. Don't.

Make sure the electrician knows it's a 120 volt, RV 30 amp receptical.

If he puts 2 breakers in your panel, he is doing it wrong.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celerator View Post
Celerator
1.) Because GFCI receptacles wear out/go bad...simply replacing the existing GFCI with a new one it might solve your problem.

2.) While a 30A receptacle for your RV is not a bad idea be sure the electrician understands you NEED 120VAC, not 240VAC, for your RV.

3.) Normally 30A 120V RV receptacles are not GFCI protected.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:25 AM   #14

Thanks for the helpful answers.

2009 Fleetwood Southwind
Celerator is offline   Reply With Quote