Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #1

Power Cord Reel

I am planning to install a Shoreline RH54331RMK high profile power reel. The reel gets hard wired to the surge guard box that I will be removing the existing 50 amp cord from. I then have to connect a switch to run the power reel. This switch needs to be tapped into a 12 volt line with 20 amp fuse. Can someone tell me where I can find the closest source to tap into? Maybe a close by line that I can tap into?
2016 Bounder 33C
bepar108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bepar108 View Post
I am planning to install a Shoreline RH54331RMK high profile power reel. The reel gets hard wired to the surge guard box that I will be removing the existing 50 amp cord from. I then have to connect a switch to run the power reel. This switch needs to be tapped into a 12 volt line with 20 amp fuse. Can someone tell me where I can find the closest source to tap into? Maybe a close by line that I can tap into?
2016 Bounder 33C
On my Pace Arrow, I connected into the wire that ran to the compartment light. No problems in 10 years.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #3

12v can't be too far. They offered the Power Reel as an option.
Elwood58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #4

I do have a Service light in that compartment that I can hook up to, but I was told that the reel line needs to have 12 AWG wiring with 20 amp fuse. Isn't the service light in the comportant barely a 3 amp line?
Old 02-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #5

I would look at your BCC. The optional power reel line comes off the same stud as the multiplex 6ga wire. See if it is on the BCC. Manu times the wire will be there even if you don't get the option. If it is it is most likely in the area of where the power reel would normally go.
The luggage lights also come off the BCC and has a 15A fuse.
Another good alternative would be to run a line off the back side of the multiplex in the BR. It should have 2 6ga wires running directly to the BCC one of 2 studs at the BCC.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I do have a Service light in that compartment that I can hook up to, but I was told that the reel line needs to have 12 AWG wiring with 20 amp fuse. Isn't the service light in the comportant barely a 3 amp line?
Not in my Pace Arrow. The wire was a 10 or 12. Fleetwood used a heavy wire because it ran the whole perimeter of the coach, to all the lights.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #7

Since I am a bit "wiring challenged", would it make sense to run a 12 AWG wire from the reel toggle switch to one of my four batteries and just connect directly to the battery terminals? It is about a 32' run from the battery to the reel.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Since I am a bit "wiring challenged", would it make sense to run a 12 AWG wire from the reel toggle switch to one of my four batteries and just connect directly to the battery terminals? It is about a 32' run from the battery to the reel.
I would NOT do that.
Much much much better off doing as I said going from the BCC or the back of the multiplex panel itself. That would be the shortest route of all (the multiplex panel). At least doing it from the BCC will disconnect the power when you use the battery disconnect switches.
On the BCC there are a number of lugs on the left side. 2 lugs will have 2 6 awg wires coming off of it. These go to the multiplex panel and are label clearly. You should be able to attach to either of these lugs.
You also need a fuse (close to the power source in the case I describe close to the BCC lug) as well as wrapping the wires in auto loom the entire distance.

Tags
power