Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2014, 08:29 AM   #1

Power gear defective hydraulic hoses

I have a 2008 Fleetwood American Tradition that has a power gear hrdraulic leveling system. One of the compression fittings exploded and blew fluid everwhere.
Turns out all of the hose are blistering and are a very poor quality. I called Fleetwood and they said they were aware of the defect and power gear had offered a 3 year extended warranty. To fix they suggest leaving the old hoses in plce and draining the hoses and plugging. Run new upgraded hoses. I contacted power gear on their web site and no response.This should be recalled by ARG the people that bought Fleetwood. They referred me to power gear.This repair is 2 to 3K. I have seen other rvs compaints the same.Maybe we should apply to the FTC for a recall. I know there are thousands out there with the same issue.This rv is suppose to be top of line.Would like to hear from folks.
John
303-507-9089 or email jwhitej49@yahoo.com
jwhitej is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I really hate it when people do not accept responsible.

When you get two involved (Fleetwood and Power Gear) assigning responsibility becomes next to impossible, add in the sale of the company to another (Fleetwood to ARG) just adds another complexity.

I would not be happy with leaving the original hoses in place.

I support you in your fight.

I just finished putting a post on my projects thread which included this.

I have always liked the words President JFK said "not because they are easy, but because they are hard" "because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win,"

The whole industry today (not restricted to the RV industry) seems to have the same philosophy, "accept what I tell you, the way you want to do it is not the way "we" want you to do it and "We" know what is best for you".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:25 AM   #3

I need to follow this thread as I have a bubbled hose also.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:33 AM   #4

Take the hose off and take it/them to any hydraulic shop. They can make new ones for you while you wait. This is not a big deal, unless your trying to get them for free on a 6 year old rig?
Old 10-29-2014, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Take the hose off and take it/them to any hydraulic shop. They can make new ones for you while you wait. This is not a big deal, unless your trying to get them for free on a 6 year old rig?

What I think. PLUS The company which built the motorhome is DEAD.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Your hydraulic hoses should have lasted longer than 6 years for sure. Sometimes the bend radius that they put these hoses at is too severe also, which then is the fault of the people that installed the hoses to your jacks. I had to replace all of mine this past year but my MH was 15 years old and unfortunately like anything that is has a rubber exterior is going to deteriorate with age. Mine were really weather checked, etc. so a leaking hydraulic hose wasn't surprise to me. The hoses that I had made at a local hydraulic shop was Weatherhead 3/8", #H14506, SAE 100R17 rating. My shop charged me right at $6.00/ft to make new hoses for me. All of my hoses started leaking right after I had to have new seals, etc. replaced in both rear jacks.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
In the event the hose with the bubble is one of them that runs all the way to the rear jacks, Is there enough slack in the hose that when connected it can be dropped down so that a union con be put in place of the bubbled piece. If so I'd take the whole rig to the nearest hyd shop and have them fix it in place.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:59 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just stumbled on to this thread. Here is my experience with this issue over the past 8 months.
I purchased my 2006 Am Her last Spring. 3 of the Power Gear leveling hoses were leaking and had "bubbles". As part of my deal with the dealer these were to be replaced. Instead they "patched" them by cutting out the defective area and splicing in pieces. I don't think the splices were made from hose with a high enough pressure rating and immediately had problems.
So, I took it to another dealer where the complete replacement hose kit, front to rear, was installed. Over $2k.
Here it is 8 months later and the new hoses are beginning to "bubble"! All near the pump just as before.
I have spoke with Power Gear and they will not replace. They say this is "vapor escaping from the fluid and getting trapped in the outer shell".
They emailed me a copy of the service bulletin addressing this issue.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:09 AM   #9

Can you post a copy of that service bulletin?
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bulletin attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PG Hose Service Bulletin.pdf (32.7 KB, 173 views)
Old 01-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
PG Warranty policy attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PG Warranty Policy.pdf (66.4 KB, 82 views)
Old 01-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitej View Post
I have a 2008 Fleetwood American Tradition that has a power gear hrdraulic leveling system. One of the compression fittings exploded and blew fluid everwhere.
Turns out all of the hose are blistering and are a very poor quality. I called Fleetwood and they said they were aware of the defect and power gear had offered a 3 year extended warranty. To fix they suggest leaving the old hoses in plce and draining the hoses and plugging. Run new upgraded hoses. I contacted power gear on their web site and no response.This should be recalled by ARG the people that bought Fleetwood. They referred me to power gear.This repair is 2 to 3K. I have seen other rvs compaints the same.Maybe we should apply to the FTC for a recall. I know there are thousands out there with the same issue.This rv is suppose to be top of line.Would like to hear from folks.
John
303-507-9089 or email jwhitej49@yahoo.com
Had the same problem on my 2012 Providence. Fleetwood told me to have repair facility contact powergear as powergear will not accept direct contact from us.

Freightliner in Fort Walton Beach got with them. Took them a few days to get the rear hoses as powergear won't fast ship anything. Freightliner FWB. Had to pay for the labor and was supposed to be reimbursed when they received from powergear. After several attempts to collect fro powergear Freightliner just wrote it off as did I.

Powergear is just like many others. Build and sell but won't stand behind the product. BTW after several attempts to have a shimmy fixed at several Freightliner facilities (including Gafney) in my high end rig i am still having major shake rattle and role between 55-65. Found loose shock mounts last year and just after that is when it got worse. Was told by Gafney that it was tires so they sent me down the road to Goodyear truck who sold me new tires and alignment. I told them all it comes and goes and they were adament that it was tires.

Who do I go to now?
scarpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had similar problems on 2 different occasions with my 2006 tradition. Disconnected the hydraulic pump and I just use air to level now. Sometimes we miss the jacks but I don't think it's worth the cost or the hassle.
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:39 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just replaced all lines. Pump also failed due to line failures. 7,000 total half in labor charge. Will never have a coach again with any power gear product on it.
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, power gear