Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Power Gear electric jacks not working

After replacing a broken shear pin (self inflicted wound) on the left front jack and finding the cause for all the problems was the left rear jack had a tiny tear on the rubber boot that is supposed to keep water out. Water infiltrated the electric brake and the subsequent rust caused excessive motor current and made the system fail. I was able to disassemble the motor assembly, remove the rust and it works.
Manually releasing the brake DID NOT allow the motor to turn, does not take much rust to lock up the motor. Most bad motors are really water in the brake assembly which is a fairly easy repair.
Checking the rubber boots on the motor assembly for any tears is a must do routine task. Wipe them and spray with rubber sealant.
Resetting the system and pressing retract many times was the cause of the pin breaking. Took six times to finally break a pin.
Now this pin was a piece of 1/4 threaded bolt welded into the hole, the result of a poor repair by someone else. In a pinch use of a bolt will work but do not use the threaded part as the shear strength is substantially reduced.
Lippert has replacement pin kits.
Removing it was a chore.
Installed the jack today and all is good.
Happy this is resolved.
Each jack weighs at least 50 lbs and is bolted to the frame bracket of the motor home with six 1 1/2 long x 1/2 x 13 bolts. Buy some 1 1/4 long replacement bolts for the two upper bolts will make replacing them much easier.
My helper is a bit younger and way stronger than me so between the two of us we got the jack lifted and bolted in place. Forgot the floor jack at home and you need one to to this safely.
R&R Moho jacks is not a project for the person who is afraid to get dirty. Not often the big wrenchs and hammers come out of the tool box. I now know more than I ever wanted to know about obsolete Power Gear electric jacks.
If you ever need help with this system I am confident I can talk someone through it. PM me with a question.
The Lippert web site has all the Power Gear trouble shooting tip sheets and some parts are available. The jack motor only needs 4 to 8 amps to run so a small 12v battery and test leads will allow you to test run a motor.
If anyone figures out where to buy the motor connectors please let me know. Cant seem to find a source. Here are a bunch of pix. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2417.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	217213Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2422.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	217214Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2421.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	217215Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2425.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	217216Attachment 1Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2392.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	217217Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2398.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	217218
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2018, 05:16 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had to replace one motor on the right rear. I feel your pain. Good job.

Tags
electric, jacks, power, power gear