Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #673

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Bounder Buddy,

If you don't do what Daytripper suggests then you are doomed to repeat all of your previous problems. Take the time to seal all PowerGear Motor and brake wiring, strap the boots with radiator hose clamps instead of vinyl ties or metal straps and seal seal seal with 50 year clear silicone caulking.

AND
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #674

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008 Bounder View Post
First post to this board!
I have an '08 Bounder 35H, the powergear motors are worthless I have had multiple leaks and very poor craftsmanship with this '08 unit.
Leaking? Electrons? If you have electric jacks, do not grease them. You may be creating your problems by doing this.

This thread is full of fixes for your jacks and if you'll do as recently advised, seal the boot with a good silicone sealer and use a radiator hose clamp you will eliminate most of your problems.

Powergear is also very responsive to emails at info@powergearus.com
Old 07-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #675

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I ran across this old thread and so I had to check. I have the electric jacks on my 2008 Southwind that I have had 9 months. No problem with jacks , but I see I have old style boots and tie wraps. They all have a small tip of corner of boot cut off to allow for moisture to get out I suppose. I see someone else had noticed that on his. When it cools down one of these days I will pull all boots off and check for corrosion then put a band clamp on and seal with silicone. I know I can order a brake from Fleetwood but just wondering if anyone has a spare laying around they want to sell. Oh Powergear replied back to me in hours when I emailed them. I read too much and worry too much, so far not one problem.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #676

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by what next View Post
I ran across this old thread and so I had to check. I have the electric jacks on my 2008 Southwind that I have had 9 months. No problem with jacks , but I see I have old style boots and tie wraps. They all have a small tip of corner of boot cut off to allow for moisture to get out I suppose. I see someone else had noticed that on his. When it cools down one of these days I will pull all boots off and check for corrosion then put a band clamp on and seal with silicone. I know I can order a brake from Fleetwood but just wondering if anyone has a spare laying around they want to sell. Oh Powergear replied back to me in hours when I emailed them. I read too much and worry too much, so far not one problem.
I think the most important thing is the Silicone Sealant. I had a replacement unit fail with the band. I have had NO problems since I cleaned and sealed the circumference of the area around the boot/Motor joint and sealed it two years ago. I also sealed the clipped off corner with the sealant. I have two spare brakes but I am not giving them up as I'm sure that is the real reason I have had no more problems. Any fleetwood dealer can order them for you.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #677

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Read my post #658 on page 47 and #661 on page 48 of this topic, I sprayed my entire jack and gear box assemblies with this Rubber Coating Spray | The Home Depot - Model#: 11203-6
And it has worked great
Old 02-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #678
Community Administrator

Power Gear has put out a new comprehensive troubleshooting document on the electric jacks. I placed it in the files for future reference. Here is a link to it.
http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/82-L0524.pdf
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #679

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Power Gear has put out a new comprehensive troubleshooting document on the electric jacks. I placed it in the files for future reference. Here is a link to it.
Cliff
I think what Powergear should do is read all these post and make a "Preventive measures" document based on everything we have learned and done here.
By the way the spray on rubber coating I used to seal my jacks appears to have taken care of the problems I was having with water getting into the jack motor brakes, My jacks have been operating flawlessly this winter after driving in the rain etc
Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #680
Community Administrator

They now have videos on their site and they do suggest silicone on the boot. Seeing that this thread has been awfully quite , I guess that fix is working. I know it has been for me.
Cliff

Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #681

Bought my 2007 Expedition about 6 months ago and had an error code on the left front jack a few days ago.
Spent a couple of days and read this entire thread and now I feel I'm an expert on the subject.
I took the brake apart and cleaned it as well as all 4 magnet sensors. Worked great yesterday when I used manual and auto modes 5 times.
I did notice my rear boots are original with the zip ties and are not torn or split. Not having any problems so don't want to tear into them even though I agree the new clamp and silicone would be a good idea. The left front one I worked on looked brand new inside and it also had the original boot.
I have the new multicolored harness but the OG controller.

Thanks everyone for all the info on this thread.
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #682
Community Administrator

Welcome to the " club ".

It's nice to dust off this thread once in awhile with good news.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #683

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorgan View Post
Bought my 2007 Expedition about 6 months ago and had an error code on the left front jack a few days ago.
Spent a couple of days and read this entire thread and now I feel I'm an expert on the subject.
I took the brake apart and cleaned it as well as all 4 magnet sensors. Worked great yesterday when I used manual and auto modes 5 times.
I did notice my rear boots are original with the zip ties and are not torn or split. Not having any problems so don't want to tear into them even though I agree the new clamp and silicone would be a good idea. The left front one I worked on looked brand new inside and it also had the original boot.
I have the new multicolored harness but the OG controller.

Thanks everyone for all the info on this thread.
Glad to hear everything worked out for you although I recommend using the rubber spray I listed in post 677 to seal the motor to gearbox, where the wires enter the motor, the rubber boot etc instead of silicone. Especially if you drive in the rain at all.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #684

I have a 2007 excursion with Power gear jacks. I've had to replace 3 out of 4. Lucky I purchased the extended warranty. The jacks run 1500.00 ea. installed . That alone paid for the warranty. It took the shop 3-4 months to see it my way but they finally did. They would not retract . Good luck.
Fearlessfritz
Fearlessfrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #685

Newmar Owners Club
PowerGear Jack problems

I have a 2007 Excursion 40X that started life in a flood while in a shop in GA. Water got up @18" on the unit. Some of the clutch motors on the jacks were found corroded but raising the jacks hasn't been the problem. Getting the jacks to stop raising when they reach the upper limit is my problem. Have cleaned the magnets, replaced shear pins and replaced the jack leg sensors on all 4 jacks. Tired of broken shear pins, so currently not using the leveling system. Has anybody worked through this problem? I'm mainly a DIY guy
Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #686
Community Administrator

Sounds like you have a sensor issue. In 07 you would have had a wiring harness with all black wires. It was updated to a multi colored harness as depicted in this tech sheet.

http://support.powergearus.com/techd...20lo%20res.pdf

Here's their new trouble shooting guide.

Power Gear will assist you through this via email info@powergearus.com
If you still need further assistance.
Good luck

Tags
bounder