RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #1

Power gear jack will not fully retract

We have a 2013 Providence 42P with power gear hydraulic jacks.

I was exercising the engine today so I thought I might as well re-level the coach. The driver side rear jack only came up about 1.375 inches. I tried a couple of times, each with the same result. That jack extends and the coach seems to level OK. The remote control panel shows no lights; so the control panel thinks that jack has fully retracted. I tried prying that jack up while the hydraulic pump was running, but could not move the jack pad at all. The hydraulic fluid reservoir seems to have plenty of fluid.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Laplatarosa

laplatarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by laplatarosa View Post
We have a 2013 Providence 42P with power gear hydraulic jacks.

I was exercising the engine today so I thought I might as well re-level the coach. The driver side rear jack only came up about 1.375 inches. I tried a couple of times, each with the same result. That jack extends and the coach seems to level OK. The remote control panel shows no lights; so the control panel thinks that jack has fully retracted. I tried prying that jack up while the hydraulic pump was running, but could not move the jack pad at all. The hydraulic fluid reservoir seems to have plenty of fluid.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your help.
You canNOT retract the jack unless the retract solenoid is open. You are pushing against a solid fluid block. Have someone hold the retract button while you are prying the jack back up. If the solenoid is bad, You must loosen the line at the solenoid or jack so the fliud can be pushed out of the jack.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #3

Do you have spring return jacks? If you do, you need better lubrication on the rams or you may have a weak spring. The fact that the control unit allows it to retract at all, indicates it's OK.

If you have hydraulic retract, then two valves for that jack must be open at the same time. The retract valve must remain open until the jack is pushed all the way up. At the same time, the return valve for the oil being pushed out of the top of the jack must remain open so that oil can return to the supply tank. That could be done by two separate valves, or by a single solenoid operating two valve seats.

In either case if you want to retract it by hand, some valves need to be manually opened.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:53 AM   #4

How do I determine which type of jacks I have?

I do not see any springs. I do see two hydraulic lines going to each jack.

Where will I find instructions for bleeding air from the system? Where will I find which model pump/motor I have?

On the pump, I have a couple of solenoids that seem to have a push button on their ends, but not all of the solenoids. The pump does not seem to have any label identifying which solenoid is for which jack.

Thanks,

Laplatarosa
Old 01-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your jacks are powered up and down. No springs. It sounds like your solenoid is bad or the signal to it is bad. Get online to the power gear site and find your system and it will help you trouble shoot the system. You can call them at 1-800-334-4712.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Where will I find instructions for bleeding air from the system? Where will I find which model pump/motor I have?

On the pump, I have a couple of solenoids that seem to have a push button on their ends, but not all of the solenoids. The pump does not seem to have any label identifying which solenoid is for which jack.

Thanks,

Laplatarosa
You determine the jack type by comparing the picture of the control panel. You will find the pictures on the Power Gear literature. Bleeding the power gear jacks is just running them up and down a couple of times.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #7

Thanks all for your help. I was able to get the offending jack to finally retract. It turns out I was a little low on fluid, and I pushed the button on the end of the solenoid that released some pressure in the offending jack.

How are the buttons on the end of the solenoid intended to be used?

Thanks again for all your help.

Laplatarosa
Old 01-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #8

Quote:

Thanks,

Laplatarosa

Hydro jacks- above the jack pad, are shinny electric jacks are not.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:19 AM   #9

While on the subject of jacks not retracting. If you do have the spring return jacks there may be a grease fitting at the bottom of each hydraulic cylinder. Hitting that with grease once in awhile really helped the retract time on my 2016 Bounder.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:14 PM   #10

On my Pace Arrow, only the rear jacks had zerk fittings - found them by accident - My routine was to spray silicone on the 4 rods prior to retracting jacks - never had a jack not retract going forward.

zorro2kita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, power gear