Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had one leg replaced under warranty, but had taken it to dealer three times before they replaced it. Took four weeks to get the leg from Power Gear.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #44
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietVet View Post
Going to Fleetwood rally end of the month, hope to talk to rep about the on going problem with power gear.
good luck and thanks for trying, however I think it's like this

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #45

I know y'all will tell me if my logic is flawed. Consensus on this and other boards is that the brake becomes corroded, etc and causes failure of the system. During the last two months I've experienced three separate failures, RF, RF and LR. Would it not be reasonable to expect the same jack to fail everytime if the brake is at fault ? I suspect that there is another problem and I think it is the sensor. My controller has been previously replaced and it is the newest version "OK". Does anyone have any experience with replacing the sensors ?? 2007 Excursion
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #46

BTW, I've had to manually overide the system on two occaisions, hot wiring the stuck jacks. In each case the jack responded immediately and retracted. Since you hot wire at exactly the same point that is hardwired into the jack, how does this direct (hot wire) alleviate the coroded brake ? If the controller is sending 12v to the unit why doesn't it work just as if it were hotwired ?? I guess I am trying to make the case that the brake is not the problem. Sure would appreciate your thoughtful input.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietVet View Post
Going to Fleetwood rally end of the month, hope to talk to rep about the on going problem with power gear.
I went to the rally last year in Gillette, WY specifically to have a discussion with PG. They canceled coming a week before the rally. Now if your planing to speak with FW you will hear they are no longer going to use PG electric jacks because of all the problems. Kind of leaves us out in the (expensive) cold doesn't it?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer View Post
BTW, I've had to manually overide the system on two occaisions, hot wiring the stuck jacks. In each case the jack responded immediately and retracted. Since you hot wire at exactly the same point that is hardwired into the jack, how does this direct (hot wire) alleviate the coroded brake ? If the controller is sending 12v to the unit why doesn't it work just as if it were hotwired ?? I guess I am trying to make the case that the brake is not the problem. Sure would appreciate your thoughtful input.
I've replaced the brake three times on one jack and it fixed the problem each time...but I'm open to all suggestions.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #49
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer View Post
This might sound basic, but what is the condition of you batteries?

Weak ones will cause the symtoms you have,of course slightly corroded brakes could cause it as well. I had to hot wire one twice and the third time was the charm. The brake froze up and the alligator clips caught fire.

Have you siliconed the top of the rubber boots? This has seemed to help keep the brake dry along with the updated metal bands that replaced the plastic tie wraps?

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And you have to just hate it when your best alligator clips catch fire...especially when you're holding them.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #51

Since the engine is running during any attempt to retract the jacks, I'm not sure what the battery condition would have to do with it. However, I am certainly not a qualified electrician or mechanic. As far as I know all of my batteries are in good condition.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #52

Elkhart Jim,
Not being a smart alec but, if replacing the brake fixed the problem, why did you have to replace it three times? Just wondering.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cause it kept breaking. I would replace the brake and it would work for several weeks or even months. I replaced the brake because it is the weak link in the system. Any moisture at all and the brake fails. I like Cliff have siliconed the boot and that has seemed to help. ()

The three things that break most often:
1. brake
2. shear pin
3. magnet sensors

That's why I carry all of these plus a motor.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #54

Do you know where I can get info on the magnet sensors, i.e., how do they work, how do you install them, what is their cost, How difficult to install, etc. ? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I got mine from Fleetwood parts. They were on back order for a while. You can get info from the Power Gear website on installation, etc.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #56

Got my jack problem fixed at the Fleetwood Rally by PowerJacks themselves. Replaced 3 out of 4 jacks and are sending me a few freebies in case I have some problems in the future. They are easy to replace. Also had several other problems that I couldn't get fixed at a dealership taken care of all with free labor! It was worthwhile going to the rally. If anyone lives in the St Louis area avoid Apache Village RV. Told me everything would be covered on my warranty and then carried me along so far past the warranty period even Fleetwood refused to help me. Again thanks to the wonderful service people at the recent Fleetwood Rally for taking care of all of my issues in just 3 days!
furman56 is offline   Reply With Quote