Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2010, 06:03 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
WEJ

I knew they upgraded the slide motor but was unaware they upgraded the jack motor.

Do you happen to know the part # of these new Jacks?

Thanks

Cliff
Morning Cliff. The upgrade is not a different motor it is simply a different boot and clamp instead of the wire tie. I've had two of these fail so it hasn't been a cure all.

http://powergearus.com/documents/3010001428.pdf
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:08 AM   #16
WEJ

I think they have upgraded the boot. The motor is fine. The originals problems where associated with the boots allowing moisture to get inside the brake. I think the upgraded boot is simply a clamp instead of a strap. Either way the system is garbage. I take a deep breath every time I level. My whole family takes a deep breath as this will determine the quality of the whole trip. LOL. I am over fleetwood and power gear.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
Hi Jim,

Just for my own edification, what type of Power Gear jacks do you have? I'm new to this and thought all "Power Gear" were hydraulic, as mine are. By the way, I have just replaced my second hyd. jack. Boy do they bend easily! Roland

Roland,

After bending one myself, I hold the foot pedal break while retracting the jacks. That will keep them from sliding forward or backward.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEJ View Post
I think they have upgraded the boot. The motor is fine. The originals problems where associated with the boots allowing moisture to get inside the brake. I think the upgraded boot is simply a clamp instead of a strap. Either way the system is garbage. I take a deep breath every time I level. My whole family takes a deep breath as this will determine the quality of the whole trip. LOL. I am over fleetwood and power gear.
I take a deep breath as well as my wife. It's not fun when they don't come up. I siliconed the top of the boot , but have not driven in any heavy rain yet. I'll continue to hold my breath and cross every finger and toes that I have. Lol.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Morning Cliff. The upgrade is not a different motor it is simply a different boot and clamp instead of the wire tie. I've had two of these fail so it hasn't been a cure all.

Thanks Jim

Cliff

Old 02-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey guys...I stopped holding my breath because I was only turning blue. I do ask for some divine intervention, if you get my drift.

We are camped on the banks of the Pedernales River here in the Texas hill country with one 2 x 10 under the front left tire. I never thought about holding my breath nor asking for divine intervention, after all, I bought and cut the 2 x 10. I just may do that more often.

And for Roland...they are Power Gear Electric jacks.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #21
WEJ

I agree that a 2 x 10 will work but that is not what I paid for. The chassis on the gas Bounder is not the greatest. The jacks are recommend to be down prior to letting the slides out. The coach is not very stable without the jacks. At lease for me Im 6'4" and about 290.( a little holiday weight, lol )
Old 02-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We got home from our 2x10 (dependable levelers) trip and I decided with the sun shinning and the temps near 70 to replace the brake. Now understand, I had already removed the "old" brake so all I had to do was install the new one. Lying on my back and working over my face was not exactly fun but do-able. It took about forty five minutes because its a bugger getting all the things lined up and especially the four screws. Now comes the test. I said a pray, no longer depending on breath holding, and started the engine. I pushed the on button and wait for the "wait" light to stop blinking before I push the auto button to begin the automatic leveling. Well I'll be dang, the legs start moving down and the coach levels. Praise God I said aloud.

I ran it through three different cycles and I'm thinking about going out before bedtime just to admire my handy work. My only regret is that I didn't order two or three brakes as spares from FW because I can't believe this won't happen again.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad I found this thread, although I dont have there electric jack system, I do have there hydraulic system. Ever since we've owned the coach we were not convinced that the auto level was in fact....level. Although its close I though it should work better than it does. The paperwork that was included in the "box" has operating instructions only. After cruising the website I found a recalibraton process for my auto system. Will be doing a re-calibrate of the system on the next outing now.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #24
Community Administrator

Quote:
We got home from our 2x10 (dependable levelers) trip and I decided with the sun shinning and the temps near 70 to replace the brake. Now understand, I had already removed the "old" brake so all I had to do was install the new one. Lying on my back and working over my face was not exactly fun but do-able. It took about forty five minutes because its a bugger getting all the things lined up and especially the four screws. Now comes the test. I said a pray, no longer depending on breath holding, and started the engine. I pushed the on button and wait for the "wait" light to stop blinking before I push the auto button to begin the automatic leveling. Well I'll be dang, the legs start moving down and the coach levels. Praise God I said aloud.

I ran it through three different cycles and I'm thinking about going out before bedtime just to admire my handy work. My only regret is that I didn't order two or three brakes as spares from FW because I can't believe this won't happen again.
All I can say is

Cliff

Old 02-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Quote:

One more thing Jim

Did the brake come with install Instructions as I think I should order a few as well?

Cliff , I'm still

Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am with you , Any power gear will be a deal breaker for me.
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
One more thing Jim

Did the brake come with install Instructions as I think I should order a few as well?

Cliff , I'm still

It came with these instructions. Of course the instructions are as if you have the jack assembly off and sitting on a bench. Its a little different when you're lying on your back with not much "gut" room, if you get my drift.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #28
Community Administrator

Quote:

It came with these instructions. Of course the instructions are as if you have the jack assembly off and sitting on a bench. Its a little different when you're lying on your back with not much "gut" room, if you get my drift.
Thanks Jim

Cliff