Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #1

PRE Detector

Having some problems getting propane out of the tank. I see there is what appears to be a solenoid valve after the pressure regulator. I don't have any info on the coach's gas system.

There is a Pre Tell II mounted above the entry stairs. In addition to being an alarm, is this also possibly connected to that solenoid valve? If so, that might be my problem, as when I turn it on, the green light does not come on and there is no sound test either.

So, assuming I cant get this detector to operate, can I just supply 12 volts to that solenoid? Is the switch in the positive or ground line? I ask this as I've been told the water pump switch is in the ground line. Perhaps somebody was just telling a fishing story. Smile.
searchinferu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Obviously you must have the special LPG Detector that when working if it detects an LPG leak it closes the solenoid at the LPG tank for protection.

Also, you must have a Mid-Entry coach versus a front entry coach. It would help in diagnosing problems if you would state what brand, model and floor-plan you own so that people with the same unit can help you.

LPG detectors are installed in RV's for a reason. It should also be installed close to where the LPG appliances are located. In your case near the stove and fridge which both use LPG. Some coaches with have another LPG detector close to the hot water and LPG heaters too. If yours in NOT working I would suggest replacing it ASAP. It could save a life.

In the meantime you could bypass the solenoid to get LPG to your appliances providing that there are no leaks.

WRT your water pump, if you have the Intellitec Water Pump Controller, yes that device is a grounding circuit that internally switches the ground and not the hot side of 12 VDC.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The LP gas valve for the PRE detector is not 12v operated. It is designed to be very low power and seems to me I recall it is something like 3-4v.

The gas safety code no longer requires the use of a shut-off valve with the detector, so you could remove it if you wish.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #4

Your LP gas valve has a 9 volt coil. Do not apply 12 volts or you may let all the smoke out of it.
You LP detector system is wired a little differently than you might think. The detector has 3 wires. The two red leads go to the positive of each battery bank and the one yellow wire goes to one side of the valve coil. The valve coil then has the other side connected to the frame. The detector get its negative voltage through the valve coil.
I suggest you check the connections at the valve coil and wire going to the frame. They may be corroded.
There is a fellow in Olathe Kansas doing repair on PreTel II detectors.
You may contact him (Larry) at CCIRepairs@gmail.com. He can be quite helpful.
FYI: There was never any codes by any authority that required a detector that shut off the propane on RVs. If so, all RV manufactures would have had to use them and they did not. Gary has never been able to document his comments about such.
You're CCI system is a great safety device and will shut off the propane when you are not there, if you have a leak. The lesser systems will not protect you as well.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #5

Thanks RLS and everyone for all the info. I was wondering how the unit achieved a ground with two reds going to the batteries and the yellow to the selenoicd. It's 5 below, but will get out soon enough to check connections underneath. I would much rather have a system that gets rid of the problem than one that tries to tell me I have one, even if I'm not around.
searchinferu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gary has never been able to document his comments about such.
LOL! I can document that none is required by current RVIA construction standards - I have the RVIA and ANSI standards documents for that. I am unwilling to pay $120 to buy a copy the now-obsolete RVIA code documents that did have that requirement way back in the mid-late '90's, so cannot document that. It is a fact that not all RVs are built to RVIA standards, so some may not have complied.

Seems academic, cause searchinferu does indeed have the detector with the gas shutoff solenoid, whether anybody "required" it or not!
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
LOL! I can document that none is required by current RVIA construction standards - I have the RVIA and ANSI standards documents for that. I am unwilling to pay $120 to buy a copy the now-obsolete RVIA code documents that did have that requirement way back in the mid-late '90's, so cannot document that. It is a fact that not all RVs are built to RVIA standards, so some may not have complied.

Seems academic, cause searchinferu does indeed have the detector with the gas shutoff solenoid, whether anybody "required" it or not!
I see you are saying it was a RVIA & ANSI standard this time. Which is it? Previously you stated it was a Fire Marshal standard. Again, you always have an excuse for your misinformation. And again I will challenge it.
So you're saying that Winnebago didn't build to RVIA standards in the 90s? I've had many customers with Winnebagos with out factory installed automatic propane shut off valves.

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote