RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2018, 01:04 AM   #1793

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When I was trucking, I bought a GenPac from Double Eagle Sleepers, it was a Kubota diesel motor, and a Marathon generator head, 8K continuous, 10K surge, mounted on the frame of my semi in a custom stainless box! It used the truck cooling system, via a pump, to circulate the coolant thru the big motor, radiator, so it pre-heated the big motor in the winter, when it was running all night! It supplied heat and electric to the truck sleeper! I and a lot of my buddies that had the big sleeper trucks had these generators, and it was not uncommon for them to run well over 60,000 hours, some as high as 90,000 hours! 1 in particular went to 94,000 hours before he got a new one!
I smile when I read that some one thinks that 3,000 hours is high!
We used ours every day, night, week, of the year! So using one is for sure a good thing! And we all used the same oil as the big motor, my case, Mobil Delvac 15/40, and changed it every 400/500 hours! We were using these generators every day, so moisture in the oil was not a thing!
Mine had over 30,000 hours on it when I sold my semi and retired, and it was still running as good as it did when they put it on! It used no oil, I replace/rebuilt the Alt. a couple times, as I replaced the all brass pump the circulated the coolant once, and other than routine maintenance, no troubles!
Rail!

Gen-Pac - Manufacturer from Double Eagle, usa

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #1794

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
When I was trucking, I bought a GenPac from Double Eagle Sleepers, it was a Kubota diesel motor, and a Marathon generator head, 8K continuous, 10K surge, mounted on the frame of my semi in a custom stainless box! It used the truck cooling system, via a pump, to circulate the coolant thru the big motor, radiator, so it pre-heated the big motor in the winter, when it was running all night! It supplied heat and electric to the truck sleeper! I and a lot of my buddies that had the big sleeper trucks had these generators, and it was not uncommon for them to run well over 60,000 hours, some as high as 90,000 hours! 1 in particular went to 94,000 hours before he got a new one!
I smile when I read that some one thinks that 3,000 hours is high!
We used ours every day, night, week, of the year! So using one is for sure a good thing! And we all used the same oil as the big motor, my case, Mobil Delvac 15/40, and changed it every 400/500 hours! We were using these generators every day, so moisture in the oil was not a thing!
Mine had over 30,000 hours on it when I sold my semi and retired, and it was still running as good as it did when they put it on! It used no oil, I replace/rebuilt the Alt. a couple times, as I replaced the all brass pump the circulated the coolant once, and other than routine maintenance, no troubles!
Rail!

Gen-Pac - Manufacturer from Double Eagle, usa
Rail, I've installed a couple of the carrier power units on semi's and they work very well for what you described and run a long time. I think my brother had around 40k hours on his last one when he sold it and he has around 10k on the one I installed on his new tractor.

That being said, in an RV I think 3k is considered high based on the average usage. Most people simply don't use their gensets and those that do are hit and miss. When I mentioned ours was high @ 3k hours I was referring to the RV average but not what it was capable of under normal routine maintenance.

Had I not gotten out of racing I know ours would be well over 15k in the 11 years we have owned it now rather than merely at 3k. Even at that people cringe when they see I have 3k on it. Our last coach had around 9k and I will admit it was a turn off when trying to sell the coach as most are simply uneducated about power units. My aunt/uncle's Beaver was pushing the 20k hour mark when my uncle passed so the Onan's will go that far under normal operation/maintenance. Chuck's is also a testament to that. Many of the Prevost coaches we've looked at are well over 10k which seems to be more the average on them based on what I'm seeing, Powertech's seem to be the norm in them.

Mike

zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #1795

American Coach Owners Club
I also have installed many of the chassis mounted power units. Most were Thermo-King Tri-pacs, some were all electric units...
Seen many of them in excess of 40/50k hours.... along with the truck that would have in excess of a Million miles. Most people don't realize that it can only take 6or 7 years for a truck to rack that mileage up.

But as Mike noted, the difference is the for-pleasure gen-set don't really get used that often, and most times are under-loaded.

The truck mounted units run any time the truck engine ain't....most all had auto start, and will also start at a outside temp, low battery voltage setting.
Run them gen-sets!

Sorry to jack the thread!
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #1796

Projects on my 1997 American Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
It is so nice to see people use their rigs and see them properly maintained vs. just getting new or newer. Thirty-seven thousand hours on the genny and over 200k on the coach, I salute you.

There is a statement in the owner’s manual for this vintage of AC that says something to the effect of “Don’t use your new coach too much because you will wear it out or possibly void the warranty”.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #1797

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
There is a statement in the owner’s manual for this vintage of AC that says something to the effect of “Don’t use your new coach too much because you will wear it out or possibly void the warranty”.
You know there must be because I am the oddity when I commend people on stacking up the miles on their coaches. To me that means they are enjoying them and using them. Many people brag about how few miles their coach has but I think that is actually sad. Sad to have that big of an investment of time, sweat and tears that it took to afford it and then not use it.

Mike
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #1798

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
You know there must be because I am the oddity when I commend people on stacking up the miles on their coaches. To me that means they are enjoying them and using them. Many people brag about how few miles their coach has but I think that is actually sad. Sad to have that big of an investment of time, sweat and tears that it took to afford it and then not use it.

Mike
I feel the same way about Harley Owners when they brag about owning a 70's or 80's Blah Blah Harley with only 5K miles on it.

I'm thinking, "What a Poser!"....

I put 15K miles a year on each my 3 bikes. One Italian, and 2 Metrics.
More before I retired! Commuted my entire career on motorcycles.

My Fleetwoods 6KW Kohler Generator is just getting broke in at 1500 hours on it.

But since I repowered the Coach from Gas to Diesel I'm thinking I'll repower the generator too very soon. (Already have the engine) Although I did add a 13 gallon gasoline tank under the coach just for it.

Both filler caps are behind the license plate, so I have to be real careful to watch those attended fueling stations. Like Oreygon! The Gas Station Guy would not believe I needed both fuels. Although both caps are well marked.

He almost put gasoline in my diesel tank! Had to threaten him with the bill it was going to create if he pulled the pump handle trigger. HE said I'll just drain it back into his tanks if he was wrong. I told him I would call the EPA on him if he did because I had over 20 gallons of diesel in that tank. It was a very frustrating fuel stop. One that taught me to never fuel up in Oreygon!
Old 06-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #1799
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am proud of my miles, 65,000 when purchased 104,000 now.

I have a week and a half before leaving for Norwalk (I hope).

Went over and picked up the coach out of storage today. It fired RIGHT up, backed it off the ramps I stored it on the the steps started work after failing to work last time I was there checking on the coach.

Only "problem" was the ABS light stayed on on the dash (usually goes out as soon as I move the coach).

Stopped for fuel on the why home and cycled the ignition and the light went out.

A pretty successful first start of the season

Got home and checked lights, low beam on the left/drivers side is out.

Because of time constraint it would be really helpful if someone can fill me in on the bulb (is it replaceable / does the whole headlight get replaced)? Lots on Fee-bay. Procedure / Have not even looked at it yet.

Conversion to a brighter headlight / how hard? Remember time constraint.

I would also like to replace the belt tensioner and belt. Tighten the a/c compressor belt was replaced last year.

Cummins 6CTA, Ref # 53-34874-004 engine # 45358278, model C8.3-325 (1997)

Again it would be really helpful in finding the correct Cummins parts (no no name parts).

I have tried to create a QuickServe account but have not gotten the temp password mailed back to me. An hour has passed. Is this what your setup looks like?

Part numbers?

Guess what a Motor Home video.

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:28 PM   #1800

I replaced mine with a dorman part, 2year warranty. Only took about 15 min to take the old one off put on new belt and replace. Old one just stayed in place no tension at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03Old Belt Tensioner.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	208706   Click image for larger version

Name:	04new Belt Tensioner.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	208707  

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #1801
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by olcarguy View Post
I replaced mine with a dorman part, 2year warranty. Only took about 15 min to take the old one off put on new belt and replace. Old one just stayed in place no tension at all.

I would prefer cummins part, I know probably the same, but still this one has 100,000 miles on it.

Old 06-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #1802

>> This covers most everything for the 6CTA 8.3
Scan down to Alternator Drive section --page one-- I don't believe the Tensioner's have ever changed on the 6CTA's
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cummins Parts.pdf (1.45 MB, 8 views)
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #1803
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
>> This covers most everything for the 6CTA 8.3
Scan down to Alternator Drive section --page one-- I don't believe the Tensioner's have ever changed on the 6CTA's
Thank you, saved the file.

Part numbers Tensioner , belt 3922900
Belt, V Ribbed 3911562

fee-bay Brand new: lowest price$39.00 + $79.00 Shipping
from JAIPUR, RAJASTHAN

Dayco Products Belt Tensioner Cummins - 89478

Brand: Dayco Products Product number: 89478 Availability: Ships today

Check The Application Guide
List Price: $85.44
$76.90 EA

Old 06-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #1804
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Thank you, saved the file.

Part numbers Tensioner , belt 3922900
Belt, V Ribbed 3911562

fee-bay Brand new: lowest price$39.00 + $79.00 Shipping
from JAIPUR, RAJASTHAN

Dayco Products Belt Tensioner Cummins - 89478

Brand: Dayco Products Product number: 89478 Availability: Ships today

Check The Application Guide
List Price: $85.44
$76.90 EA
Still confusion, if I use the PDF it comes up with part # for the tensioner as 3922900

If I plug in the engine serial number into Genuine Cummins parts I get 3978022 https://parts.cummins.com/#/esn-entr...ls/3978022/esn

Old 06-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #1805
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
So now I have three sets of part numbers.

From Cummins Genuine Parts
after pluggin in the serieal number Cummins 6CTA, Ref # 53-34874-004 engine # 45358278, model C8.3-325 (1997)
3920430 Belt, V Ribbed
3926872 Bracket, Belt Tensioner

From PDF Cummins parts
3911562 Belt, V Ribbed
3922900 Bracket, Belt Tensioner

From Regional International (cummins authorized dealer) could not find in the Book, had to call around
3289113 Belt, V Ribbed
5333477 Bracket, Belt Tensioner

Old 06-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #1806

Cummins Changes their part numbers all the time -- Call your local Cummins Shop .

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
projects