Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2018, 05:42 AM   #1863
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
I know I am not alone in spending time and money trying to stay on top of leaks in the air system. The push-on fittings are the culprit. I have had more than one mechanic say that as long as the compressor supply greatly exceeds the collective leaks, call it a win. My point is just that the electric motor is available 24/7. Any time anybody opens the door, they expect the steps to extend. Starting the engine to extend the steps is impractical, as is expecting an endless supply of air without an electric compressor.

On more than one occasion I have had to manually retract the step cover because we stopped for a rest and did not consider going outside until departure. Putting the step and step cover on their own compressor is an idea worth discussing.

Ok, I understand. For the cost of caring a spare, and the small amount of time to swap one out. Air might be a lot of work. Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2018, 06:26 AM   #1864

Yep-- there downsides to using Air- my coach drops to 40lbs after sitting for a week or so. The air cylinder I have in mind only needs a maintained pressure of 40 lbs to keep the steps extended and a dedicated mini air compressor would certainly drive the cost up.

So ! You ask ?
I have also researched a 12 v dc Actuator that can be retro fitted into the existing system using all of the existing wiring - Controller and Door Magnet to operate the steps in place of the Window Motor just like I had planned for the Air Cylinder.
The issue with 12 volts is the Actuators are slow.- maybe 12 seconds to open and close the steps as Air would be 1 second.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:28 AM   #1865
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Yep-- there downsides to using Air- my coach drops to 40lbs after sitting for a week or so. The air cylinder I have in mind only needs a maintained pressure of 40 lbs to keep the steps extended and a dedicated mini air compressor would certainly drive the cost up.

So ! You ask ?
I have also researched a 12 v dc Actuator that can be retro fitted into the existing system using all of the existing wiring - Controller and Door Magnet to operate the steps in place of the Window Motor just like I had planned for the Air Cylinder.
The issue with 12 volts is the Actuators are slow.- maybe 12 seconds to open and close the steps as Air would be 1 second.
If I was going to change, the way to go is AIR. The 12 volt electrics are way to slow, you will be standing there waiting for it to extend.

The current system is absolutely flawed, my thought is I have other projects that need my attention, for now, I will carry a spare, and just swap it out as needed.

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #1866

Spartan Chassis
Mine's certainly not that slow to extend? Maybe 5s at the most?

If you could rig the air cylinder using air to retract and the spring force to extend that seems to make sense. Steps would be out even if air is down, but when you're driving they would be retracted unless the solenoid is open.

The thing I don't like about the air cyl setup is that solenoid would be running to keep steps retracted (or extended). Need to use like a three way momentary valve of some sort so it's not live all the time.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #1867

Feedback is great !
The system I have in mind on the Air setup is Identical to my Throttle stop on the Race Car-Remote solenoid manifold Air in and 2 Lines out to the cylinder- Activated by 12 volts except using a DPDT switch to active steps out or steps in- No voltage being used at the end of either cycle. with this system dual springs would be needed to hold the steps in during travel, but I don't see an issue with that at this point.
While in the out position Air pressure would maintain enough force to stabilize the step. (As Long As there is Air Pressure)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #1868
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoxlr8 View Post
Mine's certainly not that slow to extend? Maybe 5s at the most?

If you could rig the air cylinder using air to retract and the spring force to extend that seems to make sense. Steps would be out even if air is down, but when you're driving they would be retracted unless the solenoid is open.

The thing I don't like about the air cyl setup is that solenoid would be running to keep steps retracted (or extended). Need to use like a three way momentary valve of some sort so it's not live all the time.

I was referring to the speed of an electric linear activator, not the current motor of air piston. Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #1869

Related question, but have you guys replaced your single step unit with a 2 step? My wife suffers with bad back/neck and the single step assembly was a little tough on her.
When I bought coach I replaced entire step assembly with a 3 step model. Once air leaks down or suspension is dumped, the lower step is about a inch off ground.

....and in 3 years I've put 3 motors on it. The motor/controller connector is also an issue....

I'm curious what would hold a air operated step open once air was leaked off?
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #1870

I'm curious what would hold a air operated step open once air was leaked off?

>>This-- Called Step Saver !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41GjDirVYKL.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	210273  
Old 07-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #1871
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ready to try for Norwalk.

Motor Home has been doing a couple of weird things.

1) If I sit and let it idle the abs light stays on when I move. If I shut it off and start it back up and move the light goes off? It has done this several times now.

2) Tonight I fired it up and then it died, Cranked it a few seconds and then started back up? Never done that, always fired right up,VERY quickly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-10-2018, 09:48 PM   #1872

Gosh Glenn... Ive said this before, but that is just really a nice looking rig... love the pics.

I don’t know much about your abs... but was thinking maybe the stalling issue might be fuel related? Filter... moisture... bad fuel... etc? It sounds obvious, but did you try draining the water separator?

Cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #1873

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Ready to try for Norwalk.

Motor Home has been doing a couple of weird things.

1) If I sit and let it idle the abs light stays on when I move. If I shut it off and start it back up and move the light goes off? It has done this several times now.

2) Tonight I fired it up and then it died, Cranked it a few seconds and then started back up? Never done that, always fired right up,VERY quickly.

#1, sorry, got nothing!
#2, Sometimes after changing the fuel filters, you will get a little air in the system, and it takes a little while for it to work it's way out! If it still starts hard after you drive it for awhile, replace the fuel filter, You can get a bad FF, and if when you take it off, check the level of the fuel in the filter, if it is down a inch or two, it is draining back to the tank, letting air back in to the system. Used to happen to me in the semi from time to time! Not sure why some filters do that, but make sure you have a couple spares with you!
Rail!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:57 AM   #1874

Keep an eye on your Fuel Shutoff Solenoid, if it fails you can wire tie it in the open position and run all day.
Have a safe trip !
Old 07-11-2018, 05:49 AM   #1875
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
Gosh Glenn... Ive said this before, but that is just really a nice looking rig... love the pics.

I don’t know much about your abs... but was thinking maybe the stalling issue might be fuel related? Filter... moisture... bad fuel... etc? It sounds obvious, but did you try draining the water separator?

Cheers
All the filters were replaced before winterizing, would think this would have shown up before. I did just fuel the coach, fuel the truck at the same time and pump, at a station I use all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
#1, sorry, got nothing!
#2, Sometimes after changing the fuel filters, you will get a little air in the system, and it takes a little while for it to work it's way out! If it still starts hard after you drive it for awhile, replace the fuel filter, You can get a bad FF, and if when you take it off, check the level of the fuel in the filter, if it is down a inch or two, it is draining back to the tank, letting air back in to the system. Used to happen to me in the semi from time to time! Not sure why some filters do that, but make sure you have a couple spares with you!
Rail!

Drain back would fit the symptom, I have two changes of new filters on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Keep an eye on your Fuel Shutoff Solenoid, if it fails you can wire tie it in the open position and run all day.
Have a safe trip !

Great minds think alike this was my first thought, not that I have many.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #1876

Glen your stalling problem brings back memorys!!! I had an issue as you describe. I have a solenoid tucked up against the floor behind the batt/switch,it carries very small loads.This solenoid tends to carbon up in time and loses contact,turn the key off/on it will start and run all day! That was an issue I had,took for ever to isolate.I now carry a spare now and have had no issues, for what its worth,TKS
Travel Truck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
projects