Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2018, 07:46 PM   #1975
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Dragster Update 09 06 2018

First off, Steve thanks for your help once again.

In this video, we install a converter to step down the voltage out of the 16 volt Turbo Start battery to 12 volts. This was done to run the filament bulbs on 12 volts so they would not be very bright and hot.

This allowed us to remove the small trailer break away battery we were using and install a fuel primer pump in that location.

We also started the engine for the first time after the latest rebuild. Set the timing on the mag and the crank pickup.

Once the engine was hot we were able to set the valve lash (this is an aluminum block and also has aluminum heads).

Another mystery was discovered, which we do not have a clear answer to. Your input on that mystery is welcome.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #1976

Spartan Chassis
You ought to run the RPM Datalogger off that voltrage reducer too, just in case you have it on when charging - or want to have it on when charging. That datalogger doesn't like high voltage I'm told.

Don't you just love the using the thin feeler gauges when using an aluminum block and heads? My new cam supposed to be .016 hot, it grows .010 from 80 deg to 160. Not fun setting valves with a .006 feeler gauge. I haven't had a chance to see how far down it gets when temperature is like 50-60 degrees, a bit afraid to see.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #1977
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoxlr8 View Post
You ought to run the RPM Datalogger off that voltrage reducer too, just in case you have it on when charging - or want to have it on when charging. That datalogger doesn't like high voltage I'm told.

Don't you just love the using the thin feeler gauges when using an aluminum block and heads? My new cam supposed to be .016 hot, it grows .010 from 80 deg to 160. Not fun setting valves with a .006 feeler gauge. I haven't had a chance to see how far down it gets when temperature is like 50-60 degrees, a bit afraid to see.

I talked with Randy at RPM, he says no problem with the data logger at 16 volts.

Are you setting the lash when everything is cold?

When aluminum heads and blocks grow the gap should get larger. Remember when the heads and block grow it pushes the rocker arms further away from the cam shaft.

Intake on mine wants to be between .18 and .020 hot, when cold it measures .008

The tighter you set the lash the more cam the engine sees

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-10-2018, 10:06 PM   #1978

Spartan Chassis
Right no problem at 16 volts, I was referring to when charging which is probably 19-20. If you turn data logger on when charging it might not like it.

Yes, we are setting lash cold - approx 80 degrees. I need to work me up a chart for how much it changes at what temp. We've got an all new engine with a pretty big cam in it. Hoping valve train works out ok. It sure is a beast to rotate, them dang big valve springs put a heck of a lot of drag on it.

That stuff in your filter does kinda look like a coating that came off.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:54 AM   #1979

16 Volts.
Charge rate is 19.2 volts @ 25 amps at least on my charger. I always charge with the Master Sw off after a run.
Never needed a step down box, I use 24 volt bulbs on my gauges and my rear led strip has worked fine over the years.
Data Loggers should be off while charging.
Filter : I'm surprised that you don't filter Pre Pump-- Not saying that filter material came from the tank, but Alcohol is dirty fuel to begin with.
My Weldon Fuel Pump has very close tolerances on the Rotors and must me Pre-Filtered, I change the filter a few times a year and always find Lint material in the filter and I use VP C-14 and PTFE Lines.
Most likely that material in your filter is from the Pump, but didn't see any scaring on the gears to indicate that. I'd just keep an eye on it.
Any more Races ??
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:57 AM   #1980
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
16 Volts.
Charge rate is 19.2 volts @ 25 amps at least on my charger. I always charge with the Master Sw off after a run.
Never needed a step down box, I use 24 volt bulbs on my gauges and my rear led strip has worked fine over the years.
Data Loggers should be off while charging.
Filter : I'm surprised that you don't filter Pre Pump-- Not saying that filter material came from the tank, but Alcohol is dirty fuel to begin with.
My Weldon Fuel Pump has very close tolerances on the Rotors and must me Pre-Filtered, I change the filter a few times a year and always find Lint material in the filter and I use VP C-14 and PTFE Lines.
Most likely that material in your filter is from the Pump, but didn't see any scaring on the gears to indicate that. I'd just keep an eye on it.
Any more Races ??

I will add that to my procedure (master switch off when charging).
Bowling green is 12 - 14 we would have to leave on the 11th. We close on the house on the 1st shop build starts on the 6th it will be very tight. Hoping to make it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #1981

That's a tight schedule -- Good luck !
Did my Allison full service today -- No issues just takes time.-Headed South in Oct for My final 2 races.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:25 PM   #1982
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
That's a tight schedule -- Good luck !
Did my Allison full service today -- No issues just takes time.-Headed South in Oct for My final 2 races.

We will play it by ear.

End of October we will head out to Denver to pick up a son returning to NY

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #1983
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
The Big Move to Macedon, the reason for my absence.

This is a little rough, it will give you an idea of why I have been absent.

We have moved from our home of 20 years to a new home with LOTS of projects to video tape.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #1984
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Glenn, We know you have been busy. Thanks for taking some time to make and share the video.

BEST OF LUCK WITH THE NEW HOME!!!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:51 PM   #1985

Gulf Streamers Club
Looks like wonderful possibilities with your new place. In a week or two you should be able to knock them out.

ronspradley

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:07 AM   #1986

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Good luck, Glenn! I had a 110 year old Victorian Farm House in the country in Illinois, that I named "Never done acres"!! You will find so many uses for that big Case back hoe, you will probably keep it!
Looks like you have a great place there, and will love being in the country! One suggestion, a good whole house backup generator system! It will make life a whole lot nicer when the power goes off! I saw a 1000 gal. propane tank, that you can run it off of!
Have fun! Rail!
Old 10-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #1987
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Good luck, Glenn! I had a 110 year old Victorian Farm House in the country in Illinois, that I named "Never done acres"!! You will find so many uses for that big Case back hoe, you will probably keep it!
Looks like you have a great place there, and will love being in the country! One suggestion, a good whole house backup generator system! It will make life a whole lot nicer when the power goes off! I saw a 1000 gal. propane tank, that you can run it off of!
Have fun! Rail!

Good idea, I have two 3000 Honda inverters, one for one side of the 220 and the other for the other side. Cannot run the stove or electric hot water , but will run everything else if needed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-15-2018, 07:42 PM   #1988
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Good idea, I have two 3000 Honda inverters, one for one side of the 220 and the other for the other side. Cannot run the stove or electric hot water , but will run everything else if needed.
There is a whole lot of cooking that can be done with a 110VAC microwave or a portable induction burner.

Of course, you could always cook in the coach.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
projects