RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #29
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I put the tire minder in tonight, I have one sensor that seems erratic, first to high and then to low, very hard to get it correct.

Signal booster for trailer

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Glenn, fantastic looking rig. How long have you had it? I saw your pictures and thread on that other forum but I haven't been going on it much lately due to all of the keyboard experts over there as well as the length police that have to butt in and tell me I am overlength. There seems to be a much more level headed crowd over here and not so negative.

I always am drawn to coaches towing enclosed trailers. I love seeing them going down the road and parked in campgrounds. Curiosity I guess gets the better of me.

Anyway, I like to know sizes and weights for comparisons and to satisfy my inquisitive mind. Sorry if I missed this but is your coach a 40 footer? What engine do you have and what does it weigh alone as well as how heavy is your trailer ready to roll/race? How many miles on her?

Thanks.

Mike.

zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #31
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Glenn, fantastic looking rig. How long have you had it? I saw your pictures and thread on that other forum but I haven't been going on it much lately due to all of the keyboard experts over there as well as the length police that have to butt in and tell me I am overlength. There seems to be a much more level headed crowd over here and not so negative.

I always am drawn to coaches towing enclosed trailers. I love seeing them going down the road and parked in campgrounds. Curiosity I guess gets the better of me.

Anyway, I like to know sizes and weights for comparisons and to satisfy my inquisitive mind. Sorry if I missed this but is your coach a 40 footer? What engine do you have and what does it weigh alone as well as how heavy is your trailer ready to roll/race? How many miles on her?

Thanks.

Mike.
I'm amazed at the Police here and there.

The unit is 39 feet long, had it four months, have had to invest almost as much as I paid for it into it as it was not what was promised. Deal;er I purchased from was not reputable. Promised stuff that never happened.

I will never get out of it what I put into it, but really like the "Old Time Fit and Finish" true full wood cabinets, Bathroom is as big as one in a normal house, etc

Weight of the coach is 32,000 pounds and the trailer fully fitted out for racing is close to 10,000

Engine was supposed to be 325 but is 300. I find it is still plenty of power. I drove fuel tankers that weighed 107,000 pounds with a Mack 305 HP ten speed so this is like a rocket ship to me. It will hold 65 on a 6 mile grade at 6 percent incline.

When purchased it had 65,000 and now has 75,000.

We are in winter tear down mode, and this year will only be rebuilding, with no improvements. We run an 8.0 index at 161 MPH

This is a u-tube of the first start of the blown engine (by the way it is a Pontiac)

This is two years ago without the blower
Old 11-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Interesting video's Glenn! Do you still race?

Oh ya, I also find the mods and improvements to your coach a good read to.
Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #33
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjay View Post
Interesting video's Glenn! Do you still race?

Oh ya, I also find the mods and improvements to your coach a good read to.
Yep, expect to be racing for at less the next three years and hope for longer. The body will let me know when it is time.

So far I have paid to get most of the improvements done as I was in a time crunch, but intend to start fixing myself. The old saying if you want it done right do it yourself seems to really hold true in the RV world.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Great. Thanks for the info Glenn.

Our last coach, a 1991 Beaver on a Gillig chassis, had a 300HP CAT but only coupled with an Allison four-speed transmission. We hauled a 24' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer weighing right at 8k pounds with the sand toys in it and it did a fair job but not fantastic. We had that setup around most of the western U.S. and parts of Canada in the seven years we had it. I think that 300 HP would have done much better coupled with the Allison MD3000 six-speed but the 3208 CAT isn't known for being a torque monster either.

Our 40' Dynasty with the Cummins ISL 400 weighs right @ 36k pounds and the trailer with the sand toys weighs 10k. When I haul the Jeep and the Harley it is around 12k pounds. It had 55k on the odometer when we purchased it in February of 2007, when I put it away after the service a couple of weeks ago it was just ready to turn over 95k miles.

With our Beaver I was always planning our trips around the mountain passes as much as possible. Nowadays, the grades don't bother me due to having that little extra HP. I have gone over Burgess Jct. in Montana and Teton Pass with this coach towing the Jeep and it does fairly good, not towing the trailer of course as they are pretty strict about length on Teton Pass. I was actually pretty close just flat towing the Jeep. I thought they were going to make me unhook it but they didn't.

Mike.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #35

WOW we got our 98 in Aug. sat for a year had 77,500 miles its exactly like yours. So far had to replace radiator,and alternator both original parts that hurt hahaha. Still really nice bus we hope to travel and play music next year,they sure ride nice !
Piebald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #36
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piebald View Post
WOW we got our 98 in Aug. sat for a year had 77,500 miles its exactly like yours. So far had to replace radiator,and alternator both original parts that hurt hahaha. Still really nice bus we hope to travel and play music next year,they sure ride nice !
I also had to replace the alternator, but not the radiator yet. Is it a Dream?

Post a bunch of pictures here.
Post your 1993 to 2000 class A pictures here not covered in the thread under vintage

Post your 1993 to 2000 class A pictures here not covered in the thread under vintage
Old 12-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #37
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Although this project was not on the MH itself it was for the MH.

I will use a trailer to haul a Jeep for my vehicle to get around in on trip in the MH that are not racing related.

I have been told that at some RV parks a MH and trailer maybe to long for spots available, but that the trailer can be dropped and parked so that the RV will be admitted.

I want to be able to manover the trailer with the Jeep to park the trailer and thought it would be good to install a hitch on the Jeep and reinforce it's mounting location. Just as a note the Jeep will never be used to tow the trailer down the road.

So....

We made some angle brackets

We do not want to modify the Jeep as it is a survivor and want to be able to unbolt the brackets so that the Jeep will be original again. The brackets need to go on both sides of the two rear frame horns.

So that brackets we made were drilled and notched to use existing holes and be able to go around the body mounts without modification to the original parts of the Jeep

The left bracket needed additional modification to except the stock exhaust hanger, and the inside bracket on that side needed t conform to the bend in the frame

Through the wonder of Powder coat the old hitch and new brackets now look nice and will stand up to the elements.

I will bolt the parts up tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Looks great Glenn. Gloss black powder coating looks great.

Mike.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #39
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Looks great Glenn. Gloss black powder coating looks great.

Mike.
Thanks I think it came out pretty nice, this is the reinforcement for the hitch installed

Hitch and new tank installed

Old 12-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #40
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
I hate the weather we are having, can not do anything outside. Th RV is at Caledonia RV with a list of things to be corrected. I'm going to visit it tomorrow.

One thing I would like to do is polish the front an rear bumpers.

They are made out of HEAVY gauge stainless steel and have a brushed finish.

I have polished aluminum, and am wondering how hard it will be to polish Stainless Steel compared to aluminum.

I do not want to get half way through the task and run out of steam.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #41

Hi Glenn,

I use Simple Green Stainless Steel One Step Cleaner and Polish.

Keeps them looking pretty good.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #42
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Hi Glenn,

I use Simple Green Stainless Steel One Step Cleaner and Polish.

Keeps them looking pretty good.
I would like to get a mirror finish, on aluminum I would start with very fine sand paper and work my way up in polish grits.

I want to remove the "Brushed" look

Tags
projects