Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2015, 05:43 AM   #743

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Oil filter LF9009 or LF3000
Water filter WF2071
Fuel filter FF5052
Fuel water separator FS1242
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #744
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkt View Post
Oil filter LF9009 or LF3000
Water filter WF2071
Fuel filter FF5052
Fuel water separator FS1242
Thank you, all the parts needed for the pump repair have finally been located (all over the US)
The pump will be professionally be rebuilt with a warranty, a greasable spline kit will be installed.

Repair may be completed next week, sure hate having someone else doing this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #745

Vintage RV Owners Club
Good to know you have a solution. Sounds like the fix will definitely be better than new. FYI, my pump is totally different than the one on your coach, so I don't know if this applies, but my hyd. reservoir tank has an in tank filter that I change every 24 months.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #746
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Good to know you have a solution. Sounds like the fix will definitely be better than new. FYI, my pump is totally different than the one on your coach, so I don't know if this applies, but my hyd. reservoir tank has an in tank filter that I change every 24 months.
My tank has no ability for a filter, but there must be one somewhere.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #747
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Pump Repair update

Not that far along on the repair.

All the parts have been located.

The pump was dropped off at a pump shop to be rebuilt. It was found that the pump "could" be put back together with just the new shaft, but that the thrust surfaces were not good and the gears "should " should be replace.

The rebuild with the additional parts would have been $1,300 with a one year warranty.

A new pump is $1,500 and has a two year warranty. I elected to go that way.

The greasable spline kit for the PTO is $350.00 and will be in the hands of the pump people this Thursday.

I'm thinking everything should be back together some time early next week.

We had been planning a trip out west this fall, but it is now getting pretty late and I think we might have missed the weather window.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is to bring it home when it is ready and put it to bed for the winter.

There are some projects I want to do over the winter which can be done with the furnace heat.

I would like to upgrade the TV, put a Blue Ray DVD player in and a sound bar, all in the current tube TV location.

I also want to replace the blinds which were broken by Caledonia RV (they did reimburse us for the blind they broke, but all of them will have to be replaced so they all match.

The rope lights they installed are all falling down, so I need to come up with a way to put them back so they stay.

I also want to pull the drive-shaft and have the U-Joints replaced and the drive-shaft balanced. It appears that when I was having chassis maintenance done the grease fittings on the u-joints were missed.

I will be building the service ramps I posted plans for earlier.

I also want to look into buying new tires. The motor home was sold to me with new tires on it, but the load range on the front tires is just a little light. I'm also seeing VERY small cracks in the sidewall of one of the rear tires. That date codes on the tires are correct for them being new when I purchased the motor home.

As far as the trip out west goes, I'm thinking we will skip the first race of next season and go in the spring.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #748

Vintage RV Owners Club
Bummer on missing the Fall trip and last race Glenn - hope you get the coach back soon - it'll be better than new with a shaft that can be greased. A new pump is definitely what I would select for that price difference.

Maintenance costs certainly are a consideration, and they are ongoing. If it makes you feel any better, this year has seen close to $7,000 for me in repairs (ouch!) and PM, but the end result is well worth the effort and expense.

Your Winter projects sound interesting, I can send details of my TV conversion, ramps, and rope lighting along with other interior upgrades when you start work.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #749

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Bummer on missing the Fall trip and last race Glenn - hope you get the coach back soon - it'll be better than new with a shaft that can be greased. A new pump is definitely what I would select for that price difference.

Maintenance costs certainly are a consideration, and they are ongoing. If it makes you feel any better, this year has seen close to $7,000 for me in repairs (ouch!) and PM, but the end result is well worth the effort and expense.

Your Winter projects sound interesting, I can send details of my TV conversion, ramps, and rope lighting along with other interior upgrades when you start work.
I hear you there. This year our repair/maintenance costs have been quite a bit more than normal.

My wife informs me that it could be worse, but thankfully I can perform the repairs myself and at least save on labor and ensure it is repaired correctly. I am grateful she looks at it that way.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #750
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

You have sent me the plans on the TV upgrade and I will be doing very much the same thing, but do have some variations I want to follow (One is I want to mount the speakers in the sides of the cabinet, they would be expose when the cabinet is up, and hidden when down) .

My wife is truly bummed about the trip. I here rumblings of wanting to sell this Motor Home and getting a newer one. I'm not so hot on this plan, however it is true we have yet to make a trip without having a problem with something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I hear you there. This year our repair/maintenance costs have been quite a bit more than normal.

My wife informs me that it could be worse, but thankfully I can perform the repairs myself and at least save on labor and ensure it is repaired correctly. I am grateful she looks at it that way.

Mike.
My costs have actually been down because I have given up trying to have someone do the work for me. My time spent working on the Motor Home is way up.

I am currently in a battle of words with Camping World on the install of the awning on the other forum RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Yet another POOR Camping World installation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #751

Vintage RV Owners Club
Judging from folks I spoke with at the 25th anniversary rally, newer definitely doesn't suggest fewer problems to me (although it should if QC was alive and well). Some of the stories would make you cringe.

I'm doing more and more work on my own, thanks to everyone on this forum. What a great find.

Leaving with the motorhome tomorrow pulling a trailer with atv headed for the first Mackinaw Bridge ATV crossing this weekend. Should be a riot - rumor has it 1500 ATVs have signed up for the event.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #752

Stkt
Couldn't agree more!
I know I've spent thousands getting the old Eagle where it needs to be.
From a $2800 Allison TCU - new Refer Coolant kit - new Cylinder Head - ect ect ect.
Wifey thinks I'm nuts , maybe I am
Now this old Bird Run just the way I want it. I was determined to make it as reliable as possible.
Just ran from Indy to Charlotte to Bristol. TN to Lancaster pa back to Indy. Ran 70 all the way with the Race Trailer.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1443650365.611621.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	108445

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #753

Vintage RV Owners Club
Chuck,

I was with you until you said "new cylinder head"!!! Do I have that to look forward to in my future? What happened? How much?

I thought the 8.3 mechanicals were supposed to be bulletproof.

Good weather today. Just finished cleaning the roof and treating it with protect all roof treatment, hooking up the trailer and atv. Tomorrow I head north, listening to any out of the ordinary sound, and wondering if a new cylinder head is in my future!
Old 10-01-2015, 04:24 AM   #754

Cylinder Head
Had an exhaust leak at the manifold and Head mating surface (gasket) and I took it to what was supposed to be a reliable shop here.
While removing the bolts- 4 broke off and had to be heated and drilled.
Well they broke off the mounting boss on the Head itself. They wanted to send it out to be welded and I said no way. We split the cost of the New Head itself. $1300 for the loaded Head- $450 for the New Exhaust Manifold -plus parts and labor== $3600 for the exhaust leak.
That was the last time anyone touched my MH- I now do everything myself.
Yes the 8.3 Mech Engine is near Bullet Proof.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:52 AM   #755

Glen,
I have Friends with newer and New Motor Homes that have just as many issues as we, and the newer the Coach the more expensive they are to Repair and Maintain. there is nothing like the Cummins 6CTA all Mechanical Engine mated to an Allison MD 3060.
Keep Going !
Old 10-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #756

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Stkt
Couldn't agree more!
I know I've spent thousands getting the old Eagle where it needs to be.
From a $2800 Allison TCU - new Refer Coolant kit - new Cylinder Head - ect ect ect.
Wifey thinks I'm nuts , maybe I am
Now this old Bird Run just the way I want it. I was determined to make it as reliable as possible.
Just ran from Indy to Charlotte to Bristol. TN to Lancaster pa back to Indy. Ran 70 all the way with the Race Trailer.Attachment 108445

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chuck, I love seeing pics of your coach & trailer. What a sweet setup.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
projects