Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #1331

American Coach Owners Club
My fridge just now !
35 deg Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2170.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	162486
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2017, 10:24 PM   #1332
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
So is that 39.5 inside the refrigerator and 59 outside?

Been posting a lot on racing lately. There have been some things done on the motor-home. Not much worth pictures.

Spent two days unpacking and repacking every bin in the basement and labeling each one. Did the same thing for all the bins in the overhead compartment inside the motor-home. Found a lot of missing stuff. I thing the effort will be worth it.

Replaced two sets of support struts on basement compartment doors. Boy do they work nice again. I think I will replace all of them, will place an order tomorrow, they are not that expensive, the doors open all the way, and the pivot points are such that beyond a certain point they snap shut.

Two years ago I installed a complete new set of Kwikee Steps. Lately they have been giving me problems. They work for a period of time and then stop. Then work again. The step light comes on as it should. I checked, the fuses are all where good.

Started a thread on it and
mackwrench stepped with

"Yep, I had exact issue, I replaced entire step assembly, about a year later they would work about 1/2 the time.

I bet I went through the trouble shooting instructions 6 or 7 times!
All pointed to bad motor. I removed motor, hooked it up to a battery on bench and worked perfect, reinstall, same thing....
Bad ground, no
Low voltage, no
Made a diagnostic plug and jumpers to supply voltage as per kikee manual, no

After close and careful inspection one of the pins in the motor connector from step controller was not "snapping in" and when I hooked up motor it'd push out....
I replaced connection with butt connectors no more issue.

These steps are amazingly simple to be such a pita.. lol "

Had to pull the pivot pin to get the steps to extend. He suggested pulling the stainless steel face plate to get access (about 10 minutes after I had struggled to get access to the pin). If you have looked it is almost impossible to see with the steps retracted.

With the face plate removed you can now see the connector in question.

I will have to come back and address the rust before it gets to bad.

Still not much room to work but at lest you can see it.

Put a test light on the control side of the connection and it worked as it should.

Put power to the motor and it worked as it should.

This guy hit the nail on the head, it is worth listening to if you are having interment problems with your steps.

I twisted the male connection pins as suggested and put the connector back together and the steps now work as they should once again.

Next week we will be doing the refrigerator upgrade with the ARP kit which includes two fans.

I have also ordered, for good measure, the Dinosaur Micro P-711 control board for the refrigerator. The problem is the upper cabinet above the refrigerator get very warm. The refrigerator works as it should if I turn the refrigerator off for a half hour about every 12 hours.

I an sort of throwing the kitchen sink at the problem as I am tired of dealing with it. If you will remember I have already replaced the cooling unit.

Part 1 of 3 on the refrigerator removal and install

Part 2 of 3 on the refrigerator removal and install

Part 3 of 3 on the refrigerator removal and install

I will do a normal update on this project when done.

Currently I have some routine maintenance to do around the house that must be done before I can address this task.

I do want it done before the next trip (Memphis, and then to Bowling Green, and back)

Glenn

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #1333

I'll add that I had a different repair in mind when I stated "I replaced connection with butt connectors" ....
Repairing the connector is all it takes.

Also I replaced my single step with a 2 step model, my wife suffers with major back and neck issue. When air suspension is down, bottom step is about a inch off ground.

This connection seems to be a regular issue with these steps, makes​ me think how many motors were replaced with only a connection issue....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:45 AM   #1334

Spartan Chassis
The old version of those steps didn't have a connector on the motor. Just got done replacing the 4 pin connector on mine that goes to the controller box this weekend and put a weatherpak connector in there. Old motor seems to run just fine, hopefully that new connector will fix them for a while.
idoxlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 AM   #1335
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
I'll add that I had a different repair in mind when I stated "I replaced connection with butt connectors" ....
Repairing the connector is all it takes.

Also I replaced my single step with a 2 step model, my wife suffers with major back and neck issue. When air suspension is down, bottom step is about a inch off ground.

This connection seems to be a regular issue with these steps, makes​ me think how many motors were replaced with only a connection issue....
You are a smart man, wish I had thought about that when I replaced mine. That first step can be a pain some times when the ground is not level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoxlr8 View Post
The old version of those steps didn't have a connector on the motor. Just got done replacing the 4 pin connector on mine that goes to the controller box this weekend and put a weatherpak connector in there. Old motor seems to run just fine, hopefully that new connector will fix them for a while.
I love weather pack connectors. did you replace with the square one (that is the style that comes on the new replacement steps

How to use Weather Pack Connectors

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-22-2017, 08:14 AM   #1336

Spartan Chassis
No, I didn't have any square ones, I only had a 4 flat one to use.

I fiddled around with the light output from the step controller, it seems to be on the fritz, I can only get about 8 volts out of it, and not enough current to light a test light. Not a big deal, I can live without the light but would have been nice to get it working.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #1337
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
No, I didn't have any square ones, I only had a 4 flat one to use.

I fiddled around with the light output from the step controller, it seems to be on the fritz, I can only get about 8 volts out of it, and not enough current to light a test light. Not a big deal, I can live without the light but would have been nice to get it working.
Strange.

Might light and LED replacement bulb?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #1338

Spartan Chassis
yeah I thought so too, dunno if it could light an LED, might try something one of these days. I think something is wrong with it though, should show some light on the test light.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #1339
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
yeah I thought so too, dunno if it could light an LED, might try something one of these days. I think something is wrong with it though, should show some light on the test light.
You did have a good ground for your test light, seems simple, but can be hard to find. There should be a green wire running from the controller to a ground.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #1340

Spartan Chassis
Yes, I was under there troubleshooting the wiring on the steps, got 13.5 vdc off the main power and step power wires, so it was getting a ground. It's just got low voltage for some reason. I haven't really taken the time to trouble shoot that issue too much, was more concerned about getting the steps functioning which they do now (crossing fingers).
Old 05-22-2017, 12:26 PM   #1341
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, I was under there troubleshooting the wiring on the steps, got 13.5 vdc off the main power and step power wires, so it was getting a ground. It's just got low voltage for some reason. I haven't really taken the time to trouble shoot that issue too much, was more concerned about getting the steps functioning which they do now (crossing fingers).
I have no ideas then.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #1342

Spartan Chassis
Hey Glen, do you know where the step switch by the door gets it's power? I thought it was the bottom fuse in the Battery Control Center, but it looks like that's the main power (big wire) going to the step, and the switch by the door might be feed by some other circuit? Tried replacing the switch by the door today and I think I popped the fuse for whatever circuit feeds that one.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #1343
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Glen, do you know where the step switch by the door gets it's power? I thought it was the bottom fuse in the Battery Control Center, but it looks like that's the main power (big wire) going to the step, and the switch by the door might be feed by some other circuit? Tried replacing the switch by the door today and I think I popped the fuse for whatever circuit feeds that one.
The switch fuse is the third from the bottom, see the attached pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2685.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	162709   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2686.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	162710  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2687.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	162711   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2688.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	162712  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #1344

Spartan Chassis
"STP SW" haha that was clearly labeled. Missed it completely earlier today.

Thank you for the pics and info, that was the problem. I have been having a pretty bad day with problems at work, and your little tip helped make it go a lot better.

Tags
projects