Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Stainless will be a chore to get it polished to a mirror finish. I have a local company here do my aluminum and S/S polishing as well as chrome plating and they actually charge a little more for the S/S than the aluminum because it is harder to cut with the buffing wheels, takes longer and uses up more of the sisal wheels.

For small S/S bolts and nuts I have a 3" polishing wheel that use and it works great but I wouldn't want to tackle an entire bumper.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #44
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Stainless will be a chore to get it polished to a mirror finish. I have a local company here do my aluminum and S/S polishing as well as chrome plating and they actually charge a little more for the S/S than the aluminum because it is harder to cut with the buffing wheels, takes longer and uses up more of the sisal wheels.

For small S/S bolts and nuts I have a 3" polishing wheel that use and it works great but I wouldn't want to tackle an entire bumper.

Mike.
Well that is discouraging.
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #45

Glenn, have you joined the American Coach Yahoo group? You might want to look into it. It is all AC owners and prospective owners, and contains a lot of brand specific info. I know there was a similar discussion in 2002 that you might want to review. The conclusion there was pretty much the same (difficult and expensive). It's the only other RV related website that I regularly visit. Members are similar to here, but brand specific.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #46
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlinv View Post
Glenn, have you joined the American Coach Yahoo group? You might want to look into it. It is all AC owners and prospective owners, and contains a lot of brand specific info. I know there was a similar discussion in 2002 that you might want to review. The conclusion there was pretty much the same (difficult and expensive). It's the only other RV related website that I regularly visit. Members are similar to here, but brand specific.
I am a member.

The Yahoo group is hard to follow, but I get the diary and when there is an interesting post I follow. I do not post much there though.

I think I will just buf and take what I get, I do not need another project at the moment.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #47
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Projects on my 1997 American Dream

I have an identical thread under the Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum but thought that I would move here under class A (I will stop posting to that tread and let it die).

There are some minor projects that I posted on there but will start to post here rather than there. That link is http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/proj...am-174380.html

My wife and I purchased this Dream at the end of the season and winter moved in on us before I could really get my teeth into this project.

We have a trip coming up the end of February, in fact we tried to squeeze it in before winter but a number of problems cropped up.

The people we purchased from out in AZ were not as honest as they should have been and have failed to stand behind their promises, (Hint get everything in writing and do not be in a hurry to pick something up before everything promised is completed).

My first local repair shop experience was a disaster, they over charged for everything and I had to contact New York State and the State actual stepped in and made them refund a substantial amount of money (gives you an idea just how bad it was).

Through recommendations on this site I found Caledonia RV (this is the link to that post http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/wher...ny-174368.html)

Don Pophal, the owner, is a frequent poster known as Pusherman http://www.irv2.com/forums/members/pusherman-12986.html.

Through discussions with him we have developed a list of projects that need to be completed before I take that trip at the end of February.

Some of the projects are just things I would like to get done and others are things that must get done.

I thought I would let you follow along with these and projects i want to do myself.

Here is the list

1) The cruise control intermittently cuts out when in use; lights don't come on, and now cruise control does not work at all. There was evidence of a prior rat's nest in dash area. Customer tapped into another power source to make cruise control work, which allowed cruise control switch to light up, but cruise did not work. It appears the cruise control unit is not getting power.

2) The wipers stop in middle of windshield on return stroke when on 'HI'. Note, this is an intermittent problem. When NYSI was here, it looked like connector to wiper motor was providing an intermittent fault.

3) Hydraulic cooling fan is leaking hydraulic fluid at where hoses connect to cooling fan motor. NYSI identified some RTV in this area. The leak may be coming from valve body assembly.

4) The roof needs to be re coated with EPDM rubber roofing system. Scrape, clean, and reseal all sealants, including all roof seams along body lines. Perform complete sealant check.

5) While redoing sealants on roof, remove and install new Sensar IV TV antenna. Verify proper operation to all TV's. Verify operation of cable service to all TV's.

6) I want all the Rope Lights be replaced with new Rope Lights, due to burned out bulbs. Customer would like 12V Rope Lights replaced with 12V Rope Lights, and 120V Rope Lights replaced with 120V Rope Lights. If it is feasible to convert all Rope Lighting to 12V please advise customer. If it is feasible to simplify switching for Rope Lights please advise customer. Rope Lighting under steps also needs replaced. If feasible look at connecting to the same 12V source as living room lights on passenger side.

7) Steps will go out, but occasionally do not retract. Check for proper operation

8) Generator starts hard and has cut off on customer on occasion. When it shuts off,it can be restarted and runs again. Diagnose shut down issue. Perform major service on generator: Oil, filter, fuel filter, air filter, belts, and check coolant hoses to see if they need replaced.

9) Remove and reseal driver's side bedroom window. There is evidence of prior leaks.

10) Clean up wiring under dash where possible. One connector has a burnt spot in it;there is other errant wiring. Customer would like to have restored to OEM condition as best as possible. Where possible, replace with OEM harnesses and connectors.

11) Tighten all loose awning hardware fasteners. Seal awning rail fasteners above awning.

12) Repair all compartment doors so that they close easily and properly.

13) replace carpeting in living area and bedroom area.

14) estimate to repair body side damage on front passenger side of coach.

15) estimate to repaint nose of coach and change white stripes (verify with customer on design change of stripes)

16) estimate to repair fogged glass in 2 side windows in living area of coach.

Yes I know the list is long and expensive.

I know I will over improve the coach above it's market value.

I really like the feel of the older coach and the quality of the build.

If I knew when I purchased the coach what I know now I would not have bought this coach. Now that I have it I am committed to bringing it back to what it was.

So.... if you are inclined follow along.

I will be going down to
Caledonia RV Monday to take start pictures on these projects

There are several other pie in the sky projects like

Currently exhaust exits muffler at 5" and reduces to 4". Check to see if the tail pipe can be changed to eliminate the 4" reduction and exits coach at 5" chrome tip. Just because bigger is better.

On the trip to Florida I am currently planning to stop at Sun Coast Design to get two windows defogged

One of the other pie in the sky projects is to change the roof line at the front of the coach. I am thinking of purchasing an old rear roof spoiler, modifying it to look like the old sun visors on the cars from the 50 and 60s an mounting it on the front. I would also like to change out the mirrors to the newer style that sticks out the front of the coach rather than the side mounts that are currently on the coach.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #48

"If I knew when I purchased the coach what I know now I would not have bought this coach." I had the same experience with a used class C that I bought. I paid too much for it and had to invest even more in it to make it remotely safe. I kept it from getting any worse for a couple of years and then sold it for a loss. We did have fun with it when I could suspend the disappointment in myself for not investing my money more wisely. My next used (TT) purchase was MUCH BETTER though and my plans are to buy another NEW class C in 5-10 years.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #49

I sold a 97 eagle last year and went through almost all the problems you are having! As soon as I got it all working I sold it. The one mystery that still remains in that coach is the speedometer I replaced it the sending unit required it never could get it working right. Good luck with your remodel I regret getting rid of my old eagle which is pretty much the same as your dream it was a very nice coach.
brandonklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #50
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonklink View Post
I sold a 97 eagle last year and went through almost all the problems you are having! As soon as I got it all working I sold it. The one mystery that still remains in that coach is the speedometer I replaced it the sending unit required it never could get it working right. Good luck with your remodel I regret getting rid of my old eagle which is pretty much the same as your dream it was a very nice coach.
I hope to keep this coach for a long time.

I have been in newer more expensive coaches that just do not have the personality of this coach. The bones are good, it starts, runs has enough power to pull the trailer, enough room fo the two of us.

It is just all the "nickel and dime" stuff that needs to be caught up.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:01 AM   #51

Nickel and dime is motorhoming!! lol I have a 2000 american heritage I'm pretty sure it's mad at me cause everything that breaks seems to be a major job! On Friday night I had to put a new aquahot in it!! But the older coaches really appeal to me because I can work on it. And they seem to have a more classic style seems a lot of newer ones are very trendy styled.
brandonklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #52
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonklink View Post
Nickel and dime is motorhoming!! lol I have a 2000 american heritage I'm pretty sure it's mad at me cause everything that breaks seems to be a major job! On Friday night I had to put a new aquahot in it!! But the older coaches really appeal to me because I can work on it. And they seem to have a more classic style seems a lot of newer ones are very trendy styled.
I agree which is why I have chosen the road to fix this one.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #53
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Work is supposed to start in earnest this Monday. There was a two week vacation for the employees of Caledonia RV over the holidays and this past week they emptied the shop to have a sale.

Speaking of sales it seems everywhere you go someone is having a sale on storage bins.

I took a trip down and took some measurements of the basement and will now go and see what Bins I can get that fit the area.

I want clear heavy duty bins, unless you guys have a better suggestion?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3534.jpg
Views:	1922
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	53691   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3535.jpg
Views:	2460
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	53692  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3537.jpg
Views:	1812
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	53693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage compartment demisions.jpg
Views:	2272
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	53694  

Old 01-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #54
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have moved my Projects on my 1997 American Dream, I would be pleased if you followed me there.

They can now be found here

iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions > Projects on my 1997 American Dream

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/proj...am-188327.html

I will not be making any more posts here (there is a new update there)

Sorry for the confusion, forum moderators please feel free to close this thread as previously discussed.

"Do not post the same discussion more than once or in more than one forum."
Old 01-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
I will follow along here Glenn.

Previously we had a 1991 Beaver Contessa and liked all the attention it got in campgrounds due to its' unique styling and character, so I understand what you mean about the older coaches. If it would have had a sleeved engine with a few more ponies and a six-speed Allison it would probably still be in the driveway. Although now after having our Dynasty for going on seven years, I love that thing and will continue to keep it in pristine condition so it will be an oldy and a goody.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would recommend you look at your insurance for physical damage since it appears your coach will be worth much more than the Actual Cash Value of the standard policy.

I had a '99 Eagle which I had put over $10k in upgrades in 2012, 1 1/2 weeks after getting it back I lost it in a fire. My Coach was worth much more than book value and I was lucky as I had purchase price coverage instead of actual cash value.

Be careful with "agreed value" and "stated value" are not the same, as the policy contract for stated value usually states we will pay the lesser of 1. The stated value, 2. the cost to repair, or 3. the actual cash value. So "stated value" doesn't solve your issue, but agreed value should pay the agreed value between you and the insurance company in the event of a total loss.

I would consider not going back with carpet, I had mine replaced with a laminate wood floor installed on a 45 degree angle, I loved it. We also replaced all of our valances, front curtain, commode, and TV's with the slim LED TV's. Good luck and I look forward to following your updates!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
projects