Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2017, 07:29 PM   #99

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa_Claus View Post
Oh, and here's another vote for the hazard light switch relocation project! I use my hazards pretty regularly so I'd love to have an easy to use switch like I do in my Toyotas! Go figure it out for us! LOL
OK, Santa! I'll try to get on it!!!

Today, I was busy removing the old, nonworking Howard Center Steer System. Took the better part of the day to remove the cylinder, mounts, control panel, the hydraulic pump, and all the tubing and cabling.

Take care!

Dave
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #100

Hey Mr Dave haven't seen a update in a while. Hope everything is good. It's cool seeing all the mods you have done on your rig. I have dealt with my share of gremlins on my rev as well. I've been fulltiming in mine almost 2 years.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #101

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxinvt View Post
Hey Mr Dave haven't seen a update in a while. Hope everything is good. It's cool seeing all the mods you have done on your rig. I have dealt with my share of gremlins on my rev as well. I've been fulltiming in mine almost 2 years.
Hey hiluxinvt,

Still around. Just busy with life and all the joy that comes with that as one gets older.

Anyway, I have many projects to update but just haven't taken the time. I thought about doing one today but one of my ACs decided to stop working. Of course, it's on one of the hottest days of the year here in the mid-Atlantic area. So figured that was more important to work on it!! Perhaps later today, I'll do an update on how I fixed my rooftop unit.

Take care!

Dave
Old 07-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #102

Send a message via AIM to Conchasjim Send a message via Yahoo to Conchasjim
I too was wondering what was next. I'm all ears on the next one.
Conchasjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #103

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It’s been some time since my last update.

This past week (July 12 to be exact) one of my rooftop AC units decided to stop working. Of course, it was on the hottest day so far of the year.

Like many of you, I travel with an extensive set of tools so I’m able to handle most anything. Thank goodness I’m fairly handy with mechanical, electrical, electronics, plumbing, etc. One of my many jobs during my life was working on medical equipment. I repaired things like beds, laboratory equipment, X-ray machines, patient monitors and other equipment.

The AC unit that acted up is the front one. It ran fine all day. Around 6 PM, the AC unit cycled on, the fan started and a few seconds later I heard a hum as the compressor tried to start and then it kicked out. About 30 seconds later the compressor tried once again with the same result of not starting.

Considering it was late in the day and I was enjoying a cocktail, I decided it could wait until morning. In the meantime, I let the rear unit run and closed off most of the vents in the bedroom/bath area to force the air toward the front. It worked well over night.

The morning arrived and up the ladder I go armed with a screwdriver and a multimeter.

First step is to remove the cover on the AC unit. The photo below shows both AC units.

The discolored area on the rear one is where the small solar panel was mounted. It’s supposed to help keep the house batteries top off. However at a 5-watt rating don’t expect much. Plus mine was dead so I took it off and tossed it.

Here is what the guts look like inside the unit.

This photo shows the access panel to the wiring and the start and run capacitors for the compressor and fan motors.

Here’s the small rat’s nest of wires on the inside.

First thing I decided to do was look for bad connections or obvious problems. None were found.

Next, I ohmed out the compressor to make sure a winding hadn’t opened. Readings were what I would except on the start and run windings. I didn’t write it down but it was about 4 ohms for the start winding and something like 8ish ohms for the run winding.

Here you can see the start capacitor. It’s the black one.

I loosened the screw on the strap that holds that 3 capacitors (Compressor start, Compressor run, and fan run) and removed the start capacitor.

Here I pulled off the start relay. Hard to see in the photo but the small round button on the top of the cap looked like it was bulging out which is an indication of a bad cap.

This photo shows the part number of the start capacitor.

Thinking I had a bad start capacitor, I decided to verify my belief by taking the start cap from the working unit and put it in the nonworking one. Yep, the nonworking unit started up.

I decided to leave the start cap from the rear unit in the front unit. The way we were parked the front of the coach was exposed to direct sun light in the afternoon. Figured this would help keep the coach more comfortable as I continued to work on the AC problem.

We were in the College Park, MD area when this happened staying at the Cherry Hill RV Park. Great park by the way. I checked with the office and they hooked me up with a RV/Marine shop that was only 1 mile away. They had the parts I needed.

Here is the run cap kit I bought from them.

Another view of the cap kit.

Here is what the capacitor looks like removed from the bag. Has the start relay and shinny new wires on it!

Here I’ve hooked it up.

As I was hooking up the start cap to the rear unit (remember I had taken the rear start cap and put it on the front one), I noticed a clear, sticky liquid at the bottom of the compartment holding the capacitors. What ta heck?

I pulled out the large run capacitor. Here is what I found.

Someone in the past tried to ‘fix’ it by using a sealant to plug a hole in the capacitor. The shinny stuff on the left of side of the capacitor is the electrolyte leaking from it.

This photo shows the number of wires hooked up to it.

Let’s take a photo of the part number and run down to the local RV/Marine dealer.

The dealer didn’t have that capacitor in stock but was able to order it for delivery the following day.

Here I show the new capacitor.

After cleaning up the mess from the leak and installing the new run capacitor, I did a test run. Yeah! All is working.

It’s probably just my imagination but I swear the rear unit with the new run start and run capacitor is quieter now.

After the successful test run, I put everything together.

I decided to go ahead and replace the start and run capacitor on the other unit. Figured this was a good idea considering the units are about 14 years old. My experience has been that around 12 years or so these types of capacitors are prone to failure.

With time on my side, I ordered it online and saved a few dollars. It’s a good thing I ordered it as 2 days later the old start capacitor failed! New one to the rescue!

That wraps up this project.

Hope it helps someone should you have the same problem.

Take care,

Dave
Old 07-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #104

May need to order a couple sets myself since my rig is just 1 year younger!
Old 07-18-2017, 06:09 AM   #105

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Santa,

Probably a good idea. The cost for it online is about $21 versus the $35 I paid for the first start cap kit from the local dealer. The run cap is about the same with it being less to order it online.

Take care!

Dave
Old 07-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #106

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Same here. Mine is a 2005.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #107

First off let me say glad your alive and kicking Mr Dave.

A lot of good tech on the AC units. Wish my issues were that simple...

I can say I am glad I got a extended warranty when I bought my Revolution in Sept of 2015

I just had my ac units replaced on my rev.

They were drawing too much amperage on start which the tech told me was because the compressor motor was about to fail.

The other one had a AO smith motor on it which the shaft bearing on the motor failed. He replaced the motor but then about a month later the compressor failed on that unit too.

I basically now have two new units on the roof.

My Xantrex inverter failed as well as my crappy Norcold 1200 fridge.

I got the inverter replaced still waiting on the fridge peice..

Since this is all warranty work

The RV tech gave a me a option to either put a new coil on the norcold 1200 or install a residential fridge. I choose the residential option.

My rv tech doesn't seem to think the Whirlpool WRS571CIDB is going to fit.
I know its a tight fit. I am trying to work with him now to convince him hey someone else has done this and it will work.

I dunno still trying to work with him to do it..... Any tips on the Fridge Mr Dave?

I know a 70" top of door fridge won't work and I really liked the samsung RF18 but alas too tall with a heater under your fridge.....
Old 07-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #108

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just want to mention a couple of things I failed to cover in the Roof AC Post. I'm sure most would know this but doesn't hurt to remind you.

First, I turned off the breaker to the unit that I was working on. Not a nice thing for it to power up when you're elbows deep in it!!

Second, I also discharged the capacitors before handling them. They can and most of the time do hold a charge. I simply used my screwdriver to short across the 2 terminals of each capacitor.

Be safe!

Take care.

Dave
Currently back at home base in Central Delaware
Old 07-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #109

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiluxinvt View Post
The RV tech gave a me a option to either put a new coil on the norcold 1200 or install a residential fridge. I choose the residential option.

My rv tech doesn't seem to think the Whirlpool WRS571CIDB is going to fit.
I know its a tight fit. I am trying to work with him now to convince him hey someone else has done this and it will work.

I dunno still trying to work with him to do it..... Any tips on the Fridge Mr Dave?

I know a 70" top of door fridge won't work and I really liked the samsung RF18 but alas too tall with a heater under your fridge.....
Hi Hiluxinvt,

First, it looks like we have close to identical coaches right down to the exterior color scheme. I still get the occasional compliment on how great the coach looks.

Second, sorry to hear about the AC woes. But you do have new units now!!

Third and on to your question about the fridge.

In looking at the model number, it's the same fridge that I installed only in black. We opted for the stainless look but either looks great with the interior we have in our coaches.

If you haven't looked over my posts on installing my Whirlpool, please do so. It will answer all your tech's questions and should show him that it will fit. Yes, it is tight but it fits.

The fridge is the first project I documented in this thread so look at the first few posts. I cover how much space I could make, what models would fit, and how I was able to bring it through the front door.

If you have specific questions, I'd be happy to try and give you an answer.

Take care,

Dave
Currently at Home Base in Central DE

PS: I see you're in Vermont. My bride, myself, and another couple are heading toward your neck of the woods this Saturday. We'll be hanging out along the Maine Coast for a couple of weeks.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #110

Hey Mr Dave. I should change my location I live in Jacksonville Florida now. Yeah I see that we have the same scheme going on. I still get compliments on mine as well people think it is fairly new although it's 14 years old. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1473949929423.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	169181
Old 07-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #111

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outside Faucet Replacement

Here’s a good, short project. It’s one that’s been done by many on iRV2 and that provided the inspiration.

This one is from March 2017. We were getting ready to head off to the College Park, MD area. I was doing my checkout on the coach and noticed the outside faucet in the wet bay was leaking.

Further inspection showed the center outlet that is plugged was badly corroded and leaking(sorry I didn’t take a photo of it). It wasn’t worth repairing. Great opportunity to make an improvement!

I remember others replaced the OEM sink style faucet with washing machine outlets like this one:

I bought a blue one and a red one with male pipe threads.

I also bought a mixing hose:

In this photo, I had taken the mounting panel off. It’s hanging by the sprayer hose (that never worked very well).

Here I have the old faucet completely removed. Notice the nice water connections to screw on the new valves. Oh, note to self. Remove that pressure regulator.

Here’s a better photo of the old faucet. The leaking part between the 2 valve was already removed.

After removing the old faucet and sprayer, I installed the new valves.

Here is the final product installed in the wet bay. It does work very well. I still need to get a plug for that hole but the pressure regulator is off!

Total cost for the project was about $22.00 and maybe 30-45 minutes of my time.

That’s it for this one.

Take care,

Dave
Currently located in Central DE
Old 07-24-2017, 04:22 AM   #112

Looks like a good mod. I prefer my shower sprayer though. What are the advantages of doing this?

Tags
40c, batteries, bcc, beltline moulding, caps, directv, ecu error code 539, fantastic fan, isc 350, led, projects, refrigerator, residential refrigerator, revolution, silverleaf, surge tank, thermostat issue, transient suppressor, wall seperation