Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Providence Water Filter Removal

Hello - looking for info on how to remove the water filter on an 08 Providence. Not sure if I force it to unscrew it or if there is something I need to disconnect first. I have tried to loosen by hand however, don't want to force it and damage anything.

Thanks
Karl
cos80922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is a large plastic white wrench. It looks like a oil filter wrench to unscrew the water filter casing or cover. Watch out for a lot of water when you unscrew the cover. You may be able to unscrew it by hand but it is tight with an O'Ring. It's upside down so the on/off direction may seem backwards. While facing it, Turn to the left for 'Off' and to the right for 'On'. Imagine looking at it from the bottom up. Clockwise 'On', Counterclockwise 'Off'... I think there is a booklette that came with the motorhome for the water filter replacement.

Say, I have the same 2008 Providence, have you noticed the engine water temp climbing when going up steep grades? Well, maybe the same... 8.3 ISC Cummins
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks

Hi thanks much. Figured there was a wrench involved (which I do not have) but maybe I can find one at Lowes.
Living in Colorado, I have experienced the same with the temp gauge with and without a car towed. I am taking it in for sevice tomorrow and ask about it. If I find anything out I will let you know.

Thanks again
cos80922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos80922 View Post
Hi thanks much. Figured there was a wrench involved (which I do not have) but maybe I can find one at Lowes.
Living in Colorado, I have experienced the same with the temp gauge with and without a car towed. I am taking it in for sevice tomorrow and ask about it. If I find anything out I will let you know.

Thanks again

Cummins in Atlanta told me the new DPF engines do run hotter than the older ones. Robbie

'06 AWD Saturn Vue-toad
riggarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the same providence, and the engine coolant temp issue is usually related to the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). When you see the temp going up, the filter is usually being "regenerated", or super heated to burn off all the built up gunk. Shouldn't last too long and is normal.
tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the replies
Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #7

1) you're asking for issues if the water filter is spun on so tight you can't get it off w/out the filter wrench. It should go on til it seats, then just a bit more for the o-ring to compress. If its barely on & doesn't leak, that's perfect. Lube the o-ring w/Dow-Corning #111 silicone lube.
2) no reason for the engine temp to go up due to the DPF. Whoever is telling you that doesn't know how the cycle works. If the DPF goes into its clean cycle (regen) then the ECM sends a small spirt of diesel into the cylinder just as the exhaust valve is opening so this teeny bit of hydrocarbon fuel goes unburnt into the exhaust stream (on very large engines there is actually an injector on the DPF or just upstream of it for this purpose). When this fuel hits the catalyst it combusts, sending exhaust temp up to 1100 degrees and vaporizing the soot trapped in the DPF. As you can see this is all downstream from the engine and its coolant. I have the ISL but it is the same design for the DPF cycle as the ISC. I learned all this by drilling into Cummins' engineering staff prior to purchasing the DPF engine because I needed to know whether I could take this coach to Mexico where there is no ULSD. Mine is a side radiator and I have never seed 205 degrees.

You may need to clean the radiator or have the fan actuator checked. if you have rear radiators, it is common for engine blow by to get trapped on the fins and collect dirt, clogging up needed airflow space. You can eliminate that by trapping the blow by more efficiently in a large Pepsi jug filled w/copper or stainless sponge, but that won't clean an oily radiator.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks again
Did you find out anything about the over-heating issue?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Hello - looking for info on how to remove the water filter on an 08 Providence. Not sure if I force it to unscrew it or if there is something I need to disconnect first. I have tried to loosen by hand however, don't want to force it and damage anything.

Thanks
Karl
The first time that I went to remove the water filter container it would not budge. I had turned the water pump off but forgot to open a faucet to let the pressure out. As soon as I did that it came off by hand. Joe