Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2016, 07:31 AM   #1

Purchasing a 16' Pace Arrow 38B towing concern

Hello,

I came across this site while doing some research on tow ratings for RV's and decided to join. I am about to purchase a 2016 Pace Arrow 38B(scheduled to pick up tomorrow) and seem to have been miss-informed on the tow capacity. The hitch weight is 5,000lbs which is enough for what I will be towing 8x16' enclosed trailer with 6 dirt bikes and a golf cart however in doing some reading on here is seems like that 5,000lb is not accurate.

Looking at the manufactures site it says GVWR 32,400 GCWR 33,000 which leaves 600lbs for towing. That seems really low for a Class A but I could be wrong. At this point this is a deal breaker for me. Any ideas on anyway else to confirm these numbers?

Thanks
Alain

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #2

You need to find out what the actual coach weight is. There is a sticker next to the drivers seat with that information.

z3406 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #3

The RV dealership sent me a picture of the sticker. The label says Occupant and Cargo Carrying capacity 6,388 which the towing weight would need to be reduced from that. I think I am fine we all skinny and don't take a lot of stuff
Old 01-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain2408 View Post
The RV dealership sent me a picture of the sticker. The label says Occupant and Cargo Carrying capacity 6,388 which the towing weight would need to be reduced from that. I think I am fine we all skinny and don't take a lot of stuff
Hmmmm,
Overall you MAY be ok. That is sort of weird they would design it that way but that's how they keep the cost down.
Definitely get the whole setup weighed with the trailer. If your trailer weighs 5000 lbs you are only leaving 1988 lbs for everything you put on board including people, food, water, clothes. Sounds like you might have 6 people (6 dirt bikes). Average weight of 150 (I am pretty sure that's what they use) and that right there is 900 lbs. Water is 8.34 lbs per gallon.
Be safe out there and glad you are thinking about it.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

THE GCWR is the controlling factor in this case. The receiver may be rated for 5000 lbs, but you can tow that much only if the coach itself is lightly loaded so the total stays under the GCWR. You need to look at the actual coach weight (empty) and guestimate if you will still have 5000 lbs left over after your stuff is onboard. Chances are the answer is No, but check it out. Actual unloaded weights will be on a federally required OCCC placard, usually by the driver seat. Presumably the numbers they sent came from that, but verify.

I think you are overly optimistic about the weight of passengers and gear - people are typically shocked when the actually weigh the coach after loading. If you actually need to tow 4500-5000 lbs, that leaves only 1388 for everything else, and that is not much. Residual water alone, even without full fresh tank, will likely add 150 lbs. Two adults and 4 kids are probably 700 lbs, and you still need food, bedding, clothing, campsite gear (grill, chairs, etc), toys (computer, phone, etc) and what not.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I dont know why Fleetwood does it like that. It gives the impression that it can only carry 600 pounds. I had noticed it too and other manufacturers dont list it the same way. To the OP, you must race motocross?
Old 01-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I dont know why Fleetwood does it like that. It gives the impression that it can only carry 600 pounds. I had noticed it too and other manufacturers dont list it the same way. To the OP, you must race motocross?

Yeah they list it a bit strange. They break it down on the sticker but show the numbers at the max weight.

Yeap both my kids race motocross so we are always hauling bikes and a golfcart. I borrowed a friends enclosed trailer 6x14 and had 3 bikes in it and it towed it just find trans temps and all were in-line and stopped perfect. I think a 7x16 or 8x16 will be the limit on size.

Thanks for everyones input.

Alain
Old 07-10-2016, 07:48 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
A little confused... I am looking at purchasing the 16 PA and will be towing wrangler unlimited. By reading this thread it seems to me that this unit maybe a little lite on towing.. Am I correct? Sales says no problem but I believe they just are selling. Should I just bite the bullet and go to the 40g?
Old 07-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I pull an 8 x 20 with honda big red, bikes gear water tank generator and parts all with a bounder and do just fine. The pace will prove worthy.

Tags
ace, pace arrow, tow, towing