RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #29

David and I woke up this morning and are feeling better, at least the MH is sitting here so we can start putting our stuff on it. Fleetwood's customer service has been great in helping us to get our issues resolved and have most definitely made us feel better. While we know that new rv's come with issues, we didn't expect the dealer to be so unhelpful.

The good news is that we are putting our personal touches on the coach finally. I have our chairs ready and tonight we plan on enjoy a cocktail (or two) as we watch the elk graze in the field behind the barn. It can only get better from here!!

Bruadair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #30

Can we get the name of the dealer so others can avoid? We also had problems getting warranty work done until my wife put our saga on their Facebook page. Our phone was ringing within 30 minutes. The power of social media.

FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #31

We made it to the Monaco service center in Coburg Oregon today. It has been an interesting trip here. We've been able to use our Bounder for two and a half weeks (in the past five and a half months). It's been an interesting trip here. The large basement door under the bedroom slide will close and latch, and we can lock it but it opens on it's own when we're driving. The first time it spilled two of our four chairs (destroyed). When we closed it we locked it, then tugged on it to make sure it was still closed and it was. After the third time of opening on it's own while driving we unscrewed the door and put it in another basement. We had a huge puddle of water under the half bath sink, it appears the faucet is defective. We kept the water pump off, turning it on only when we needed water. The left door of the refrigerator won't lock anymore, the two freezer doors won't open unless you work the handles back and forth vigorously. The shower stall has so much cracking and crazing it's hard to believe it's a new shower stall. I'm wondering if there is too much stress in that one corner. I know they'll probably patch it with gelcoat but how long will that last? Oh, we filled the water tank up to completely full for the first time, it has a leak. Over the course of about six hours we lost about 25% of the water, once it reached that point it stopped leaking but continues again if we fill above that point. We do love the microwave and the stove/oven, we ate pretty well when we could get the food out of the freezer. The sound system is really nice too. Oh, when we washed all the windows last week we noticed black specs and other debris in the passenger window, between the two panes of glass. We have permanent streaks on the windshield that we for the life of us cannot get out of the windshield. The rubber seal around the windshield has little adhesion, there are gaps where you can see the edge of the windshield (we're talking four to eight inch sections.

The dealer in Spokane said all our day night shades work properly after they adjusted them. Funny how two won't roll up and the one at the driver's window unraveled when the tape gave way (yes, they taped it up). The dealer said that despite them not being able to open the refrigerator or freezer doors that there was nothing wrong with the refrigerator and it was functioning properly. The dealer said that using self taping sheet metal screws to secure the sofa to the floor was sufficient, it wasn't. There was less than a quarter inch of bite into the plywood and the first time we opened the sofa up as a bed the sheet metal screws gave way. The dealer said the loose cover over the batteries was normal (step moves a fair bit when stepped on), as was the screw that is in so tight we can't budge it whatsoever to loosen or tighten it. Gotta love the dealer. Right now I hesitate to mention their name as we still have six months left on our warranty, and once we return to the area we still need to rely on them for potential future work (though we have no faith in them).

We knew buying a new motorhome didn't mean it would be perfect, we knew there would be issues. Having lived aboard and sailed our sailboat full time in remote areas of Central and South America for 12 years we have learned to become self reliant. But these are issues we weren't prepared for, and a lot of these I'm not sure I could remedy on my own anyway.

We actually arrived in Coburg a two days early. We'll still check in tomorrow if we can, otherwise we'll just wait for our appointed time on Wednesday. We're the only Fleetwood here at the moment, seems Holiday Ramblers and Monacos take up most of the space here in the parking lot.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can relate to a couple of your issues which while irritating are actually minor quick fixes.

1. Freezer Doors- had problem opening right door and then left door. Bottom left fridge door didn't latch properly. Dealer replaced those handles and a few adjustment and now it works great.
2. Windshield Gasket - Same problem, dealer installed new gasket and adhered it properly. I posted a picture of this problem a couple of weeks ago.
3. Cargo Door Latch - Had 2 that would close and latch but could pull open after locking - replaced one latch and adjusted one of the catches.

Total repair time for all those was about 2 hours.

4. I had a crack in my gel coat right as you enter the shower. If you have the sticker on your shower still it should be Ultra Glass of Lakeville. Call them and talk to Sonia. She doesn't like RV techs working on her showers. She has a list of Fiberglass techs she trusts. If she doesn't have one in your area she will fly a tech from Indiana to fix the problem. She is awesome to work with.

I know you have had issues, but from your posts it seems like your biggest problem is a lack of caring/quality dealership.

If you need Sonia's number at Ultra Glass let me know.

Good luck.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #33

I would love to get Sonia's number from you and call her tomorrow before we get the service center here started on the shower.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. Our biggest problem is the dealer and their lack of interest in fixing any warranty issues. The had given us the wrong key for the engine compartment, it took them five months to get us the correct key. Seems as if they don't care and would rather string you along until you go somewhere else. We've heard great things about the Coburg service facility and hope our experience is more positive than with the dealer in Spokane.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sonia Davidson - (574) 784-8959
Old 04-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Damon and David,

To help other members please post your problems with the dealers service department here.

RV Service Reviews

I think I would also submit a letter to Good Sam and Motor Home Magazine's action line to see if they can help.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruadair,

Any updates? Curious to find out how good the service center is, how easy the fixes should have been, etc. Hope all is going well.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Bruadair,

Any updates? Curious to find out how good the service center is, how easy the fixes should have been, etc. Hope all is going well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Bruadair,

The Monaco service center in Coburg so far is a positive experience. There are 16 spaces out front with water and electrical hookups, the spaces are first come first serve and are for those that are staying with the coach while work is being done. The spaces are not level, you'll need help under the tires and jacks with blocks before you can use the leveling jacks. In the event that there are no spaces the adjoining parking lot is used for overflow though there are no hookups there. There is a dump station in the parking lot as well. The service center is very easy to get to right of Interstate 5, food and drink places not too far away. About a quarter mile down the road is the TA truck stop and right behind that is a truck and RV wash. It costs a buck a foot for a hand wash and they do a pretty good job. Don't get the wax though, it will leave spots all over the coach.

At the Monaco Service Center the workers show up at 0730 and usually take the coaches to the work bays before 0800. You need to have the coach ready to go by 0730, that means have the slides in, be unplugged and ready for the tech to take. Don't forget to grab what you need for the day though if you do forget something they will walk you back to the coach. The coaches are returned to the parking spaces by 1545 and workers leave for the day by 1600. There is a nice waiting room with complimentary coffee, a television, table and chairs and five or six sofas. There is no internet available but McDonalds is just down the road and has free wi-fi. For those with pets the waiting lounge is pet friendly. For those with allergies (I have acute asthma and COPD), there is no other place to wait. The staff understood my not being able to use the waiting lounge and did provide me with a chair so I could sit outside, fortunately it was a beautiful day. Only four of the coach parking spaces have a place for you to park your personal car next to your coach, otherwise you'll need to use the parking lot for cars which is only 30 feet away. There is a grassy area between two rows of coaches which is great for spreading out a blanket or for your chairs, the grassy area behind the pump out station is the area used for pets taking care of business.

Our appointment was for 0730 on 4/16. We arrived a day early, on that day our service adviser Matt took our list of issues, asked us about each one, entered them into the computer and told us that they would start work by 0800 the next morning. Matt was quite pleasant and reassured us that all the issues would be dealt with. The following morning our Bounder was in a bay being worked on by 0800. They were able to accomplish more in that one day than the dealer did in five months. Amazing. When they had questions they took us back to the coach so we could better explain or show them the issue. They were able to fix three of the issues that the dealer claimed to have repaired and they fixed the refrigerator door handles, though because they weren't satisfied with the fix they ended up just ordering us two new doors. Our shower stall had a lot of cracking in one of the corners after just a couple uses. The workers called in some expert fiberglass folks and they concluded the shower could not be fixed. Matt told us that they were looking for a two piece replacement and I immediately became defensive and said that we would not take a two piece shower. One of the reasons we liked this coach was for it's one piece solid feel shower and that it had a seat. I also explained my concern about devaluating the Bounder with a two piece shower. Without hesitation Matt said "no problem, we'll replace it with a one piece". In order to do so they will have to remove the bedroom slide, the wall between the bedroom and rear bath, the bathroom cabinets then the shower. Before putting in the shower they will reinforce the corners with additional fiberglass. Without a doubt it appears that these guys are here please, and so far that is all they have done with us.

The staff here is quite experienced. Matt has been working there for 17 years, many of the other works have been here even longer. All of the staff were exceptionally pleasant to deal with. In the evening we gathered with some of the others there (with our sundowner of course). Everyone had positive things to say, many have been here numerous times and stop in for service whenever they drive by. There were a few gas coaches like ourselves but mostly it was diesels. We were the only Fleetwood, the rest consisting of Holiday Rambler, Monaco and a rather large Beaver. They are estimating that it will take a minimum of four to six weeks to get the work done. Longer than we would have liked (we really want to actually use the coach), but we are confident the work will done well. We'll post more follow ups as we get them.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to hear it is going well. Thanks for the great description.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, thank you for the update sounds like your finally in good hands.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #40
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thank you for the updates. I'm glad the Coburg facility is getting things done. From your description they sound like a quality facility with experienced techs so your Bounder is in good hands. It's so unfortunate you had to go through what you did with your dealer's service dept.

If there's one thing can be taken away from this is that service after the sale is more important than getting that huge % off MSRP. We didn't get anywhere near the 25-28% off others claim they got when we bought ours, but our dealer's service techs have gone over & above when we needed service (even doing some things n/c as they said it wasn't worth their time to fill out the paperwork). That's what keeps us returning to them.

Best of luck & we hope you get your coach back sooner rather tha later. Keep us posted.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruadair View Post
...They are estimating that it will take a minimum of four to six weeks to get the work done.
Are you staying there the entire time, or are you planning on returning home at some point and returning once they complete all the work? I guess a lot of that time will be waiting for replacement parts to arrive...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Are you staying there the entire time, or are you planning on returning home at some point and returning once they complete all the work? I guess a lot of that time will be waiting for replacement parts to arrive...
We had planned on staying a week to make sure things got a good start but because they started right away and because they made us feel very confident we decided to leave just after two days. Matt did say they would wait until we left to tear apart the interior and we didn't want to delay any of the work. They will be removing the bedroom slide, bathroom wall and cabinets, sofa, and both front seats then all the carpet so they can recarpet, repair the passenger seat and repair the sofa. It would not have been liveable in that state. We will return as soon as as they say it is ready.

Tags
bounder