Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 06:26 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Questions about towing a Toad

I have never towed anything with a motorhome so I am looking for sound advice from you the experts. I have a 2004 Fleetwood Southwind GVWR of 20,700, GCWR 25,700, workhorse chassis W22. I am thinking of towing a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country Mini van GVWR 2,541 with front GVWR 1,293. I would like to tow it using a car tow dolly with surge brakes since I already have the mini van and to purchase only a car dolly seems the cheapest solution to be able to tow a toad. All opinions, pro and con, are welcomed. Want to learn about this before I spend precious funds on a dolly and find out I purchased the wrong dolly or that this is not even possible. I don't recall seeing any motorhomes towing mini vans. I've seen lots of other stuff though.

Thank you
Tom Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

I flat tow my short wheel base 2000 Caravan Sport, empty weight of the van is 4,100 lbs. Using a Remco fluid pump on the transmission and Blue Ox tow bar. A tow dolly would have been cheaper to set up, but seeing the work involved to load & secure the vehicle on the dolly and the question about ; where do you park the dolly at your site ? I decided flat tow was for me.
Anyway that's not the reason I'm posting this morning . I'm seeing some confusing numbers and terms in your post, with regard to the T&C.
GVWR ( Gross Vehicle Weight Rating ) of 2541 ? Did you get the rating in kilograms off the door sticker ?
Same for the FAWR ( Front Axle Weight Rating ) I think you have the kilogram number.
Your coach is rated for 5,000 lbs , of trailer tow , and that's probably the hitch rating too. So very important to get the numbers right. I'd say take the van out and get it weighed , then you need the weight of any dolly you consider, added up those, two numbers need to be under 5,000 lbs.
IF and only IF, your hitch has a higher rating; there should be a tag on the hitch;, AND your coach isn't loaded to the max GVWR , can you go over the 5,000 lbs. of tow weight. So you should have your coaches weight ; loaded for travel too.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are right. The GVWR is 5600 and Front wheel is 2800. So as I read your post the mini van is to heavy to be towed with my Southwind. Is that correct?
Old 05-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lopez View Post
You are right. The GVWR is 5600 and Front wheel is 2800. So as I read your post the mini van is to heavy to be towed with my Southwind. Is that correct?
Tom, that's probably the case. Your Southwind likely has a 5,000 pound hitch. Do you know your hitch rating?
Old 05-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tom,

GVWR on the van is its total capacity, not how much it actually weighs empty. Curb Weight is the number you want to use and the best would be to put the van on a scales for a true number as Skip suggested. Even with the added weight of a dolly, I think you might squeeze into 5K.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hitch rating is 5,000. I will weigh the van to find out the true curb weight. If it turns out that I just squeeze by, is that still a good idea ?? Would just making the weight still be risky and maybe an accident waiting to happen? I really want to be on the safe side.

Thanks all
Old 05-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hitch rating is 5,000. I will weigh the van to find out the true curb weight. If it turns out that I just squeeze by, is that still a good idea ?? Would just making the weight still be risky and maybe an accident waiting to happen? I really want to be on the safe side.

Thanks all
Tom--you will get several differing opinions on this. Personally I'd prefer to stay within the manufacturer's recommendation. It's good that you are considering a supplemental brake to help safely stop the extra weight. There is an entire section of the forum that deals with towing and tow vehicles; you might find more info there. Toads and Motorhome Related Towing - iRV2 Forums
Old 05-27-2015, 06:19 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I have never towed anything with a motorhome so I am looking for sound advice from you the experts. I have a 2004 Fleetwood Southwind GVWR of 20,700, GCWR 25,700, workhorse chassis W22. I am thinking of towing a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country Mini van GVWR 2,541 with front GVWR 1,293. I would like to tow it using a car tow dolly with surge brakes since I already have the mini van and to purchase only a car dolly seems the cheapest solution to be able to tow a toad. All opinions, pro and con, are welcomed. Want to learn about this before I spend precious funds on a dolly and find out I purchased the wrong dolly or that this is not even possible. I don't recall seeing any motorhomes towing mini vans. I've seen lots of other stuff though.

Thank you
We've towed Honda mini-vans since 1995. In '97 it was on a dolly and behind a 29' Type C, in '98 it was behind a 35' Santara Type A, in 2000 it was a Dutch Star DP (5,000# tow rating). Then we switched to Honda cars on a dolly behind the MH. Then went to a '02 40' DSDP (6,000# tow rating). In very late '04 we bought the present '05 Ody and towed it four down till Honda said not to. Did get Honda to pay for the towing gear we bought and got a Demco KK-460 dolly. Used it for a couple years then went back to four down towing. Now we're towing it with the Magna (15,000# tow rating). So, yes people do tow mini-vans with their MH's. We've also talked with several other Ody owners who tow theirs.

Yes, supplemental braking is required in many states and what your home state requires is of no concern since braking laws don't follow your vehicle, they are different in different states and you must comply with them when in that state.
Some dollys have surge brakes, some have electric brakes which would require a controller in you RV.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #9

Don't forget weight of tow dolly.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:20 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone. You have given me much to think about and to study. I am now able to make an informed decision which will ensure our and everyone's safety."THANK YOU"

Tags
toad, tow, towing