Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Questions, questions! Hope you can help?

Well, we just got back from our maiden voyage in our "new to us" 2003 Fleetwood Providence. We LOVED it!! There's so much more room than our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer - and so many more gadgets to learn about! My hubby and I spent most of last night reading manuals and figuring out all the buttons, etc. However, there are a few things we need help with, and I'm hoping that some of you can answer these questions:

1) It says on the Diesel Engine Routine Maintenance guideline to "Check Remote Fuel/Water Separator daily before starting engine - drain if required." We dont' even know what or where this is? We can't find reference to it in any of the manuals.

2) The rear radio mounted by the bed doesn't seem to be working. We searched for a hidden switch, etc. but found none. We're assuming maybe it's just a fuse?

3) The overhead outside "spotlight" doesn't seem to be working. We found the remote for it and read the instructions - so we're hoping it's just dead batteries. We're going to replace those. What do you think?

4) The automatic stabilizer legs are different than the "Big Foot" ones we had in our gas coach. We were told to leave the engine running to put out the slides, then turn off the coach and dump the air. But we found that the key must be clicked one click to the right to let us engage and turn on the power system for the hydraulic legs. It won't work unless I turn the key once? What are we doing wrong? Also, in our previous coach, we could put both front legs down, then both rear legs down, then adjust both right rear and front to level it from left to right. However, I only see options for front to back?

5) This morning it was quite cool, so we decided to try the heat, which apparrently can be either propane (in the basement) or electric through the air conditioner units? Anyway, I could switch it to propane heat in zone 1, but it wouldn't let me do anything in zone 2? What am I doing wrong? We couldn't find information on the specifics in the manuals. Can you give me a "step by step"?

6) The roof is a TPO roof and has left streaks down the windows. What do you use to get them off? They've come off the body of the coach nicely, but not off the windows?

I think that's it for now. I'm sure we'll come up with a few more questions! We sure enjoyed sleeping in the FULL queen as opposed to the short queen! WONDERFUL! The additional ten feet of length and extra slide didn't hurt, either! I don't know what we'd do without all the knowledge on this board!! Thank you!
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #2

We have an 03 Fleetwood Discovery and I suspect that leveling instructions for your RV would be similar to ours.

On ours with the engine running we must do the following in order listed:

Dump the air

Level the coach - front levelers down first, then the rear. The rear levelers are the only ones that are adjustable side to side.

Put the rooms out

Turn off the engine

We hope you enjoy your Providence as much as we have our Discovery. By the way, did they tell you that owners can now order parts directly from Fleetwood. When we needed new latches for compartments, we ordered them at a significantly lower price than from a dealer.

Bill and Sharon Whitaker
Fulltimers since May 03
RVingLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

So we should dump the air while the engine is running? Doesn't it start filling back up before we can get the legs down? How do you level from right to left? The order in which you do it makes PERFECT sense to me! We shall do it that way next week! Thank you again!
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
It appears that the dealer didn't go 'thru the numbers' very well at all. Can you not buzz over there sometime soon with your list of questions? Before you do that, try everything on the coach in case other flaws surface. If that's not possible, you might want to call Fleetwood tech support. I think you should have received much better support when you bought it.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The water separator/filter is in the engine compartment. Looks like a oil filter (metal can) but has a petcock on the bottom that will drain it if opened. You don't need to check/drain it every day, but should do so once in awhile. Open the petcock a bit and let liquid run out. If it is fuel, close immediately. If you get any water, let ti run until you get fuel. You probably won't get any water, but just in case...

Rear radio: hard to say whether it is a fuse, some hidden switch or some trick to connect it to the speakers, which may by default be connected to tv or front sound system instead of bedroom sound. Sometimes these defy the imagination!

Spotlight: Can you move the spotlight with the remote?

Rear heat: It's not clear just what problem you encountered. Is there a "furnace" setting for the rear zone? Can you select it? If so, what happens when you select it?

Glass is pretty much impervious to strong cleaners, so you can use polishes and abrasives on it to remove stains. Sometimes vinegar & water works, sometimes a bleach solution, sometimes you may need Limeaway or similar product or maybe even automotive rubbing compound (laquer polish). It all depends on what the stain is. Its just dirt off the roof - the TPO does not leach chemicals out like a rubber roof.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #6

Once you dump the air, it will not build up again untill you flip the switch again. Our leveling controls have 4 "touch pads" in a diamond pattern. The top lowers the front levelers, the bottom lowers the rear levelers. Once both sets are down, I use a small level on the kitchen counter to check and adjust. The left and right "pads" control the left and right rear levelers independently. I usually get close on front to back then adjust for side to side.
Calling tech support at Fleetwood is a great idea. The number is 800-322-8216. They have been helpful to us in the past. If we can help more feel free to email me directly at sharswhitaker@aol.com.
RVingLady is offline   Reply With Quote