Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #1

Questions regarding the Power Converter in a 2008 Fleetwood Terra LX 32K

Last night all the 12 volt coach power quit when plugged into shore power while it was raining. It came back on shortly but now we don't hear the fan in the power unit when 12 volt items are turned on. Shouldn't it run whenever there's a draw on the 12 volt system? All the batteries read 12.3 volts. Everything seems ok but we don't hear the fan anymore.

I attempted to check the reverse battery hook up fuses on the converter but can't access them. It's under the fridge with no obvious access panels other than a drawer under the stove that really doesn't get me close enough to it. I'm guessing the fridge has to come out to get to it. Anyone have experience with this or an idea of easier access.

Bruce
delornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you don't have a manual for your converter/charger, do an online search. It should show if it has circuit breakers that might have tripped, perhaps hidden on side or back.

Typically the 12v system is powered by the house batteries. When a 120v source is connected, either shore cord or generator, the converter/charger comes on to charge the house battery and keeps it charged. Since the battery is connected to the house electrical system, the converter/charger not only charges the battery but provides all 12v house functions. If the converter/charger was to go out, lights might dim a tiny bit as voltage falls from 13.8v charging voltage to battery's voltage of 12.7v. (fully charged)

How did you know 'all power quit'? If you lost all power, sounds like your house batteries aren't making a good connection. You might check all connections, including the ground connections.

Some converter/chargers have a multi speed cooling fan, only kicking into the higher speeds as more power demands are put on it. Again, it should be explained in the manual.

The converter/charger usually can be removed from the cabinet with wires connected. Look for screws, bolts, or industrial strength velcro holding it in place.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #3

When the 12 volt lights went out all the 110 functions continued to work, the microwave, TV and such. I looked at the breakers and reset all of them. After about three or four minutes the 12 volt systems began working again but no fan sound from the converter. The converter is an eight year old WFCB which I've seen some call junk. I'm quite sure the converter went south but accessing it looks like it'll require pulling the fridge. The only access looks to be a drawer under the oven but the converter is under all the furnace ducting which even if removed won't allow me to get to the screws holding the converter down. I was hoping someone may have experienced removing one as in-accessable as this one who could offer some tips. Laying flat on the floor my arm can just touch the top of the converter and the two fuses on the back side are totally in-accessable. The engineering nightmare who designed this installation should be fired.

Bruce
delornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Converter Replacement

I have an 06 Southwind, not sure how much different the layout is compared to your Terra. My converter was acting up so I replaced it with this:
Powermax PM4B-60

At first I thought I was going to have an access problem (mine is under the fridge). There is a panel below the fridge that is removable, and I was able to get in and do the R&R. It was a bit of a pain, but with some patience I was able to get the job done.

Hopefully you'll be able to figure it out. Good luck!
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, fleetwood, power