Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2014, 06:27 AM   #1

Quick connect air fitting

Getting ready for our first trip and went to use the supplied air connection on my '02 Revolution and find that my standard 1/4" male quick connects do not fit the coupler. [ moderator edit ] I've been to every auto parts store in town and Harbor Freight but can't find a different size. In comparing the female coupler on my garage air tank and all my air hoses, the one in the coach has a smaller inside diameter. What is it? Or I guess more importantly, why is it different than every standard air hose connection I can find? Worst case scenario is unscrew the one in the coach and replace it, but damn, is there anything on a motorhome that's a simple fix?
Yakimaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakimaman View Post
Getting ready for our first trip and went to use the supplied air connection on my '02 Revolution and find that my standard 1/4" male quick connects do not fit the coupler. (Mod edir)? I've been to every auto parts store in town and Harbor Freight but can't find a different size. In comparing the female coupler on my garage air tank and all my air hoses, the one in the coach has a smaller inside diameter. What is it? Or I guess more importantly, why is it different than every standard air hose connection I can find? Worst case scenario is unscrew the one in the coach and replace it, but damn, is there anything on a motorhome that's a simple fix?

There are two primary quick connect types used in the US. One seems to be primarily automotive and the other more industrial. Don't ask me why. There is also a universal fitting that supposedly works on either but it may not work as well. HF or Northern Tool should have both. I would take the coupler you have with you and look for the other one.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
On my fleetwood product, it is the " M " style fitting . Usually at harbor freight you can buy a blister pack with an assortment of fittings for about 5 bucks .lowes and Home Depot are a good souse also, as Steve mentioned
Old 07-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If all else fails get some Teflon tape and change the fitting on the MH.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:03 AM   #5

Agree--my experience is that male couplers come in "automotive" and "industrial" while the female comes in three types auto, indust, and universal which is supposed to fit both auto and indust. Dont think it is a diameter issue, the only difference I have detected is that the auto seems to have a slightly elongated flange on the tip of the connector....good luck.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like a problem with the end in the coach. Fleetwood used standard fittings in every diesel coach from the Bounder to the Heritage
Old 07-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #7

I had the same problem on our 08 Expedition, couldn't find a matching male. So I replaced the female connector on the rig but kept the original in case it is the "Tow Truck Standard" fitting.
paddler54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #8

What paddler54 says. Go to the local auto supply and buy the same kind that the local tire shops use and change it out and keep the old one.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have some calipers, or a micrometer, you can measure what you have and compare to this:

to determine what type of connector you need. As stated, Harbor Freight carries both Automotive and Industrial styles, although they seem to prefer Industrial.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #10

I found out when fully air up it's a pain to push in fitting but it will go.