Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Quiet water pump

My American Traditions water pump is so loud, that someone came to my door telling me about the noise it made. I need a quite pump. Any advice?
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Huh? What? I can't hear you for all the racket!

Have you located the water pump and If so, what brand and model is it?

I think I'd see how it was mounted and go looking for one that mounts in a similar manner.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
My American Traditions water pump is so loud, that someone came to my door telling me about the noise it made. I need a quite pump. Any advice?
You may want to see how it is installed and see if you can improve the insulation e.g. rubber between the floor and pump where it is attached.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wink Quiet water pump

On my Pace Arrow, the pump was mounted right under the bed and whenever one of us took a shower (at least every saturday) it would wake the other. The problem wasn't with the water pump so much as how and where it was mounted.
It have been firmly mounted to a bracket that was solidly attached to the frame of the coach. The rubber isolators had been torqued down so tight they were useless in noise reduction.

The solution?? Made a new mounting point by using a piece of treated wood that was mounted to rubber straps on the frame. Then, the water pump was mounted to rubber isolators and attached to the rubber mounted wood.

The result??? Barely a hum when the pump was running, and even quieter when it wasn't....

Dr J Popa
apopj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Huh? What? I can't hear you for all the racket!

Have you located the water pump and If so, what brand and model is it?

I think I'd see how it was mounted and go looking for one that mounts in a similar manner.
It's a 55 Aqua jet-ARV-SC by Remco
Old 07-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
YC1

If the pump is connected via Pex then the stiffness allows vibrations to go through the hoses. By putting flexible hoses on the intake and output the vibration just gets dampened by the flexible hose.

Put quiet down water pump or something like that in the little green google search box above and it will take you to hundreds of responses. This is a very common compalint.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #7
YC1

Another good video.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #8

I have removed all mounting bracketed from the pump. I then attached straps to the inlet hose and to the outlet hose to hold the pump in place. With the actual pump only attached to the hoses, I got about a 90% noise reduction.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Ok, I went out and with water running, I got 90 db noise. The pump is mounted on a rubber pad with screws going down to the plastic floor. Could be a problem. I took the pump out and tested it on the bench, no water, and it sounded like marbles in a tin can. So, a new one is $160 with no guarantee because I'm the end user. That's what I understand.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #10

They make some nice variable speed water pumps that are pretty quiet, more powerful pressure, and increase volume of water. Mounting any water pump is very important as has already been said.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
As you may see in the video posted above, if your pump is hard plumbed with the PEX tubing, it will be noisy.

I had same issue with my American Coach, I used a 16" long under sink connection hose I bought at local ACE hardware.

Or you can use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000W...ID=31VjSpEqp7L

Install it with a loop in hose, careful not to kink it.

It made a MAJOR difference in mine. I cannot hear pump running inside coach.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
Ok, I went out and with water running, I got 90 db noise. The pump is mounted on a rubber pad with screws going down to the plastic floor. Could be a problem. I took the pump out and tested it on the bench, no water, and it sounded like marbles in a tin can. So, a new one is $160 with no guarantee because I'm the end user. That's what I understand.
No warranty? Here's your pump with a warranty:

https://www.amazon.com/Remco-55-AQUA.../dp/B004RCSLFS

BTW, someone posted about using a variable speed pump, that's what you already have....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Our water pump (and the vacuum toilet pump ) have flex lines and are mounted in a "quiet box".
Attached Images

SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #14

My pump is like so many others mounted in a compartment under the bedroom floor. This compartment just happens to be the one I keep tools, parts, my flag pole and Gen-Turi in among other things. The noise is tolerable so I don't worry about it.
Last summer though I did have cause for concern. My wife and I drove down to a dirt car race track on a Friday evening to watch the race and meet up with some friends who go to the races often too. After the race we sat around and had a couple drinks then decided to go into our MH, take quick showers and crash for the night. When my wife turned the water on the noise from the pump was absolutely terrible. It was LOUD! She had plenty of pressure and the pump worked just fine. It was late and dark outside so I took a chance and jumped into the shower after she was done and I too had water and good pressure. I told DW I would check the pump in the morning.
In the morning I got up and brewed a pot of coffee and my DW got up to sit at the dinette with me. I poured the last cups of coffee and put the pot in the sink. DW decided to start washing the pot and her cup and clean the counter top off and I went outside to talk with a friend who had just come out of his camper parked next to us.
After a few minutes my wife came around the corner of our friends camper with a hammer in her hand. "I fixed the Pump". I was horrified. My friend just stood there in amazement. I had to ask, "What did you do"? My DW just said innocently, " I opened the compartment where the pump is and this was laying up against the pump. I moved it and the pump sounds fine now". I finally started breathing again and my friend nearly cried he was laughing so hard. "Did I do something wrong"? No honey you did just fine was all I could say before I broke out in a fit of laughter. I had pictured in my minds eye a pump smashed to bits because I decided to socialize before attending to the pump.
Lynn

Tags
water, water pump, quiet