Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Woody I think your setup will work just fine for a normal rain and as long as you keep a caulk plug in the end of that side cap trim. What I would worry about is if that trim ended up open at the end. If you had a torrential downpour, there might be such a volume of water coming off the roof and gutter that it could run down in there. I'm looking at the picture you took from the rear facing the front of the coach. Maybe it's just the pic but looking at mine I will try to not have the end of the cap trim be the backstop for the gutter and extender
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #44

Well I also don't like the cap's trim being so close but if I were going to change anything I'd rather cut back the cap's trim which butts to the gutter. The opposite side of the coach the cap's trim is not as close to the gutter.

I have both of my prototypes installed. I'm not worried about downpours only want to stop the streaking during normal light rain and air conditioning use.

I would not bother with the plastic gutter extensions. Camco's is too big for my taste and the other you have to caulk the heck out of it anyway. Like I said earlier the second one is an acceptable design in the way it slides into the rope groove.

I have thoughts of using a small grinder to open up the gutters exit but will wait for my hose test. During downpours I never looked at how the water exited the gutter end. Maybe the gutter just spills over its entire length.

I'll try the hose test maybe tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Woody I think your setup will work just fine for a normal rain and as long as you keep a caulk plug in the end of that side cap trim. What I would worry about is if that trim ended up open at the end. If you had a torrential downpour, there might be such a volume of water coming off the roof and gutter that it could run down in there. I'm looking at the picture you took from the rear facing the front of the coach. Maybe it's just the pic but looking at mine I will try to not have the end of the cap trim be the backstop for the gutter and extender
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:34 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess I came across wrong. I'm not concerned with rain at all as far as the gutters go. If it rains, it rains. I only want gutter extensions for the water from the ac. What I was concerned with was a heavy rain where it would over flow the gutters and the extension and end up in the end of the cap trim. Guess it's a concern of mine cause my last rv had cap/water issues. The only thing keeping water from entering the end of that trim is a glob of caulk.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #46

The gutters never get a chance to overwhelm the end of the gutter. The water just pours over the gutter down the wall or onto your slide topper . That's with hose barely open. Never makes it to the end before it pours over the top of the gutter. . The overwhelming point is moot. AC drip won't overpower anything. My extensions work on a hose setting which is probably 10 times the output of the AC. Just a guesstimate. I have pics but what's the point? No stain from the AC.

When you stop, stick a piece of plexiglass into the groove under the gutter end.

I'm remembering the phony gutter extension pictures with big streams of water shooting out. What a load.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:23 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
I'm remembering the phony gutter extension pictures with big streams of water shooting out. What a load.
Tell us what you REALLY think, Woody!!!
Old 08-30-2015, 09:28 AM   #48

Appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Tell us what you REALLY think, Woody!!!
Old 08-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #49

Hose on low output but much more than AC water output.

The gutter extension doing what it does without modifying anything Fleetwood assembled.

While gutter extension was dripping this is what's happening elsewhere on same side of coach roof.

Soon as the water fills the gutter, at any spot, the surface tension cascades water following over the edge. The gutters are too small? Whatever.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:11 AM   #50

Woody, I'm thinking of doing the same thing but with 1/4" plastic. What did you use to attach your drain spouts to the coach. Also what does Fleetwood use as a sealant instead of silicone?
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #51

One stainless steel set screw after tapping hole drilled into aluminum. I mentioned early on you can use OSI QUAD clear sealant. It is made by Loctite the manufacturer of Fleetwood's sealant. You can buy it at Home Depot of all places. I posted this info in several posts. Only mojoracing took notice. It is not silicone. It is tough enough to hold your rain gutter extensions to the coach so you don't have to copy my method of attachment. There is an even more INVISIBLE version you can buy online like on Amazon. Couple dollars more than the HD version. Same brand name OSI.

Just a little more info here. That rope track under the gutter also drips. The gutters overflow and the water enters the track below. Just an observation. The AC drip, what people complained about, does not overflow the gutter since the volume is too small. So if you see dripping down the side, that's where it is coming from.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DRIVERS SIDE TOP 2_zpsrcjlmpqm.jpg Photo by woodydel | Photobucket

this pic shows how the water could absolutely drain down the trim for the cap. Never would I make that the backstop for a gutter. To each his own.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #53

Chop out the offending trim.

I feel dismissed. "To each his own"? When I type that, I know how I mean it. Didn't realize how bad my design turned out. I did call it a prototype.

The extension is under the gutter. Whatever happens above it was going to happen anyway. The extension does not impede the flow of water. If you're thinking my extension is a backstop, I don't see how. It's not even near the gutter. Matter of fact, I'm the one testing and posting pictures showing all. My pictures include closeups. I'd like to see how the plastic extensions look up close.

The gutters do not work as we might think. Huge torrents of water rushing towards the end of the gutter does not take place. I supplied a picture of the water cascading off the slide topper. That was taking place EXACTLY the same time as my extension drip picture.

I didn't probe the trim blocking the gutter. My guess is they FILLED it with caulk on its end. I'm NOT going to pick on Fleetwood placing the trim so close to the gutter end. I'm sure their new design addresses this situation.

Anyway, use the one's made of plastic. I never expected anyone to copy what I made in the first place. I actually bought all of the products and they all stink. Just had my money returned on the latest yesterday. That picture above with the huge amount of water shooting out is FAKE. Can't happen. Where's the water coming from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
DRIVERS SIDE TOP 2_zpsrcjlmpqm.jpg Photo by woodydel | Photobucket

this pic shows how the water could absolutely drain down the trim for the cap. Never would I make that the backstop for a gutter. To each his own.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #54

Thanks.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:10 AM   #55

It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one that can’t take criticism….
bulldog620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:24 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wish i knew how to draw with my computer mouse on that photo I posted. I could then show you my thought process on how the water will flow. I guess the easiest way to show you how I'm looking at it, and again its just from your pic I reposted, the water will flow down the gutter toward your extension. Since the end of the front cap trim is "inside" the extension, it only makes sense to me that water could flow into the cap trim should the caulk fleetwood uses to plug the end of the cap trim fail. If your extension terminated before the cap trim, it wouldn't be an issue. I guess if the caulk plug fails, your going to get water in it whether or not the gutter is directing flow toward it our not but probably not to the extent you would with it at the end of the gutter extension. Looking at the pic and how close the cap trim is to the end of the gutter, I see that it would be hard to fit the flat back wall of your extension in between the gutter and the cap trim. Thats why I think the only real solution is to trim the gutter back aways or perhaps trim the cap trim. I didn't mean to dismiss you, just frustration in trying to get my point across. would be much easier if i could draw an arrow or something on the photo. At any rate, its just MHO.